Author Topic: stewart family of shambellie  (Read 23178 times)

Offline crackpot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
stewart family of shambellie
« on: Tuesday 25 March 08 17:46 GMT (UK) »

Am looking for info. on the Stewarts of Shambellie. I have just learned of that connection. A Marianne/Marion Stewart married George Mackenzie. they had a daughter Ann Mackenzie who married Rev. William Thorburn of Troqueer. He is my gggggrandfather. Marianne also had a sister Lilias Stewart who married David Staig who was Provost of Dumfries. Any help of info. would be greatly appreciated. I understand that there is a Shambellie Museum.

Thank you.
Pepperpot
Male --Cheshire
Thorburn--Cheshire, Liverpool, Plymoutrh devon, Cheltenham
Tailyour--Scotland, Devon

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: stewart family of shambellie
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 March 08 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi pepperpot or crackpot  :)

The Shambellie Museum is a costume museum in New Abbey, Dumfries & Galloway:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,232980.0.html

Could you perhaps give us some dates for the various people that you have mentioned, please?

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline crackpot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 March 08 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply. I do not have to many dates.  Rev William Thorburn was born in 1766  and I would think Ann was born around that time. I have no info about Marion/Marianne Stewart other than her name and who she married. It was said that George Mackenzie was of Netherwood.

Crackpot
Male --Cheshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 March 08 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi again  :)

I'll do some looking around after supper but first, can you tell me where you've got the information. For example have you used Scotland's people, the IGI or some info from other websites or is it information that has been researched/handed down  by your family?

The best way to tackle it is to focus on the first( or latest)  of the line that you definitely know about and then work backwards from that.

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 March 08 20:58 GMT (UK) »
The IGI cotnrolled extraction has the baptism of Ann Hay MacKenzie, Dumfries 7 Dec 1771. Father George MacKenzie. No sign of Lilias on  the IGI.

Gadget

Offline crackpot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 March 08 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for looking for me. Some of the info. I have has come as a result of an enquiry to the museums curator of the stewartry museum in Kirkcudbright. that is how I found out about Ann Mackenzies parents names, and also  that George Mackenzie comes from Netherwood with I think may be an estate but I am not really sure on that. Finding out the name Stewart was not totally unexpected as I heard that name was in the family years ago. In fact I have a very old ring that has the name Stewart on the back of it. Whose it was we have never known only it is a family ring.

Crackpot
Male --Cheshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 March 08 09:04 GMT (UK) »
HI

If you Google 'Netherwood +Dumfries', you'll find quite a lot of references - Pigot's directory and farm listings, etc.

Also this link which goes back to a Robert McBrair obtaining the feu of Nettherwood in 1453:

http://www.geocities.com/heartland/woods/4676/almagill.html

I'll look into the Stewarts  :)

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 March 08 09:30 GMT (UK) »
A bit of background on Shambellie before I look up some names, etc. This is from a book I have entitled 'Discovering Galloway' by Innes MacLeod, John Donald, Edinburgh, 1986.  ISBN - 0859761142:

In this chapter, Innes is describing the New Abbey/Sweetheart Abbey area:

Note behind the 1887 Masonic Lodge building the restored two-storey and garret seventeenth century house with forestairs and a datestone over the south window on the east wall showing it was built by John Stewart of Shambellie and his wife, R. Brown, a descendant of Gilbert Brown, the abbot of Sweetheart..............  The mill and mill house were restored for Mr C W Stewart of Shambellie, who handed them over to the nation in 1978.............Shambellie House has been open in the summer since 1982 as a Museum of Costume under the Royal Scottish Museums. [the costumes] all collected by Mr Stewart................Shambellie House itself is a good example of Scottish Victorian Baronial architecture on a small scale by David Bryce, built between 1856 and 1860.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 March 08 09:53 GMT (UK) »
It's very difficult with these propertied families. Often they married in Edinburgh or even England, etc.

I have found a lineage for you though. How accurate it is, I'm not sure at the moment:

http://tinyurl.com/2zrsjy

The webpage seems to try to get you to laggin every few minutes but just click the back button  :D

Gadget