Author Topic: Germany: George Green, pork butcher - COMPLETED  (Read 19939 times)

Offline Bethgem

• RootsChat Member
  • My Grandfather and helpboy at his Congleton shop
    • View Profile
Re: Germany: George Green, pork butcher
« Reply #27 on: Friday 11 September 09 22:13 BST (UK) »
Hi histres, I've not had a reply for ages so maybe no more news on the Green family in Germany then.

I did not know that insertions on Google were taken from here. I don't mind at all, honestly. I was surprised, but I am not angry about it.

:)
Green (Grün) - Hohenberg, Württemberg, Germany
Weber - Ingelfingen, Germany
Also in Congleton, Cheshire, UK

Offline Histres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 11 September 09 23:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Bethgem,
Don't worry about the google insertion. Your comment on it didn't offend me at all. So that's not the reason why you haven't got a reply yet. At the moment, the German Grün family are going into their family tree to find your forefather in question. But it might be that they only recorded the direct descendants of the family forefathers in their family tree. I'm still waiting for an anser of them.
If they find him, then there will be evidence of a relationship. If they don't, then I will go into the church archive of the Hohenberg parish, to find him mentioned there. But that will take some time, as historical research always does. As soon as I have got some proof that you are related to that family, I will inform you and you can send me the photos and your family tree which I will pass on to them. That would be the best solution as they don't speak English.
With kind regards
Histres
German pork butchers in Britain and in Ireland

Offline Bethgem

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 12 September 09 21:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Histres, many thanks for your offer of help. I am very excited about whether the family you know there are my relatives.

I have seen their name as Grun with the two dots above the 'u' (I haven't got that on my computer) in a document.

I would be happy to send photos and information for them to see when the time comes. I realise it will take a bit of time so I will wait.

Many thanks again to you, for your work on this. I am amazed with the help given on RootsChat and will always be in a kind of debt to you.   :)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 13 September 09 08:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Bethgem,

I have seen their name as Grun with the two dots above the 'u' (I haven't got that on my computer) in a document.

You will probably be needing the 'two dots' a lot, so have a look here:  :)
Topic: Typing 'foreign' characters e.g. Umlauts
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,312491.0.html

regards,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Histres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 13 September 09 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hello Bethgem,

on the Internet I found another person who is searching for the same Green pork butcher in Congleton. The lady must live in Crewe and be related to you, but she expresses not having had contact to other family members for a long time. Perhaps you can initiate some new contact.
I send you the Internet connection by PM.

Kind regards
Histres
German pork butchers in Britain and in Ireland

Offline Bethgem

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 13 September 09 21:22 BST (UK) »
I've sent you a PM, Histres, about that entry. Thank you very much for your hard work. Keep in touch, as I look forward to hearing from you, in time, about the family you know in Germany.  :)

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 25 September 09 18:33 BST (UK) »
Bethgem, I hope you and the other good folk don't mind me jumping in on your thread, especially as it's my first post.

Iv'e done research on my family (which are Scots and Irish) and got back to the late 1700's.

I have now started on my good lady's side of the family and found out that her GGGF Christian Frederick Wall was also a pork butcher (in Carlisle) and is noted as a German National on the1901 census. His estimated dob is 1872.

I have studied the posts and threads on here referencing German Ancestors, and it is indeed a bit of a nightmare trying to find German Ancestry (worse than trying to find your Irish Ancestry).

The Cronem Conference notes were very interesting, and I have indeed, went on all the recommended websites and links that you guy's have shared before posting this thread, and must thank you all for sharing such information.

I did find a passenger on Ancestry.de and Ancestry.co.uk with the name of Christian Frederick (Friedrich) Wall, but this guy has a birthdate of 12/04/1867. A 5 year difference but very possible the same guy. Born in Owen in Kirchheim, Württemburg, application date July 1889, number 835948.

A long shot that this might be the guy, but what to do next, as I believe that the passenger list is practically impossible to decipher.

Again, as per many posts, any further little tips on the above, may open up a further clue to the birthplace of Christian Frederick Wall

Best Regards
John  :D
Scotland (Helensburgh, Glasgow, Banff, Campbelltown); MacKenzie, McKenzie, Donnachie, Donachie, McClafferty, Fee, Scullion, Cairns, McDonagh, McFinney,Chalmers,Stewart, McAllister

Ireland (Donegal-Rosses, Mullaghduff, Boyle Co Roscommon & other counties); Donachie, Finnigan, McGinley, Brennan, Sharkey, Boyle, Sweenie, Kearns, Balmartin, Martin, McDonald, Irvine

England (Carlisle); Ashbridge,Armstrong, Cavers, Wall, Dixon
England (Blackpool) Hall, Barker
Germany (Hohebach,Württemberg) Wahl

Offline Svenja

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kreszentia Beinberger
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 12 October 09 20:54 BST (UK) »
Hi John

In the "Southwest Germany Emigration Database" I found six entries with the name "Wall"
four of them were also from Owen, but noone with the name Christian or Frederick and
all of them emigrated in the 1850ies.

http://www.auswanderer-bw.de/auswanderer/index.php?sprache=de&suche=1

Here are all State Archives of the Bundesland Baden-Württemberg:
http://www.landesarchiv-bw.de/web/49435

I think for your research you should look at the Archive in Stuttgart:
http://www.landesarchiv-bw.de/web/49689

Here you can see which documents they have in the archive
by searching in the Findbücher or Findmittel:
http://www.landesarchiv-bw.de/web/46943

I hope this is a help for you.

Regards
Svenja
Switzerland + USA: Iten, Letter, Besmer, Mathis, Meier, Schwager, Eisenring
Germany/Bavaria: Beinberger, Painberger, Schleich, Pfeiffer, Weber, Schelle
Germany/Bavaria: Boeck, Rauch, Pracht, Sporer, Schorer, Mahler, Grotz
Germany/Franken: Weidner, Reuss, Beifuss, Trenkert, Drenkert, Drenkart
Germany/Jewish: Bachmann, Bamberger, Straus(s), Kraus(s), Lehmann, Gutmann
I can read and write German, English and French.
I can translate from Italian and Latin to the above languages.

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 12 October 09 21:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you Svenja, I have sent a PM

John  :)
Scotland (Helensburgh, Glasgow, Banff, Campbelltown); MacKenzie, McKenzie, Donnachie, Donachie, McClafferty, Fee, Scullion, Cairns, McDonagh, McFinney,Chalmers,Stewart, McAllister

Ireland (Donegal-Rosses, Mullaghduff, Boyle Co Roscommon & other counties); Donachie, Finnigan, McGinley, Brennan, Sharkey, Boyle, Sweenie, Kearns, Balmartin, Martin, McDonald, Irvine

England (Carlisle); Ashbridge,Armstrong, Cavers, Wall, Dixon
England (Blackpool) Hall, Barker
Germany (Hohebach,Württemberg) Wahl