Author Topic: Tansey/Tanzy  (Read 31203 times)

Offline bookwormtilley

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tansey/Tanzy
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 24 September 15 15:21 BST (UK) »
Please can anyone help me out with the Gray Family of Norfolk/Suffolk.

Obadiah Gray married Ada Gray (his cousin) in 1894 in Mitford. He appears to have already had two other children by Mary named Olby and Jane.

I have his mother named as Mary (a widow in 1881 census)

Children of Obadiah Gray and Ada Gray (who was 19 year's his junior) are:
Lapolius Samuel born 1895
Verdi Archer born 1896
Pansey Leonora born 1898
Ivy Ellen born 1900
Mareillie born 1904
Leonard Ozery born 1908
Stanley Joseph born 1909
Begonia born 1909
and perhapse Maurice Edward born 1918.

Any help appreciated.

Gillian Allison

Hi - I am a descendant of Obadiah Gray through his daughter Ivy. The information you provided is so great!

I found a website that listed the following:
GRAY and GRAY
East Dereham, Norfolk, 5 November 1894
Obadiah Gray/aged 38/Bachelor/Traveller/Shipdham/son of Santanoah Gray/Horse Dealer
Ada Mabel Gray/aged 21/Spinster/Dereham/daughter of Samuel Gray/Musician
Obadiah Gray signs X
Ada Mabel Gray signs
Witnesses: N. Tann, W. Ashby [both sign]

I also found this on another page:
Obadiah Gray your Grt Grandfather married
Lavina Smith daughter of Cornelius Smith
He used both surnames Gray & Smith & Gray is also Grey
I think his father was a Charles Smith

With lavina
Genty Gray 29th August 1880 Hunstanton Norfolk
Laborous Gray 1st June 1882 Saxthorpe Norfolk
Clara gray 23rd Feb 1890 Barford Norfolk

I cannot be certain if 2nd marriage
Obadiah Gray married Ada Mabel Gray 1894 Nitford Norfolk

christenings of children
Lapolius Samuel Gray 3rd Sept 1895 Yarmouth Norfolk
Pansey Leonora Gray 20th feb 1898 Norfolk
Ivy Ellen Gray 25th Nov 1900 Loddon Norfolk
Rosemary Constance Gray 24th Nov 1901 Loddon Norfolk

Can you tell me where you found the information on Verdi, Mareillie and Begonia? I don't have any knowledge of these children.

Offline Yonker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 24 September 15 22:49 BST (UK) »
Hi
Was researching on behalf of an elderly gentleman, so haven't looked at the family in a long time. However.  I think now that Begonia might not belong to Obadiah and Ada.  I have the christening records for: Lapolius Samuel Gray; Ivy Ellen Gray; Rosemary Constance Gray; Pansy Leonora Gray; Verdi Archer Gray (often known as Archie) Mareillie (Morelli) born circa 1904 is on the 1911 Census as 7 year old daughter of Obadiah and Ada. Also on the 1911 Census there is a daughter Joy aged 11 whom I can only think is Ivy Ellen.

Cheers
Gillian Allison

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Friday 02 October 15 05:43 BST (UK) »
For Obadiah I have (by Lavinia Smith)
Genty 1880 Hunstanton, Laborus 1882 Saxthorpe Alby 1882 Saxthorpe Clara 1890  Barford,
(by Ada Mabel Gray d/o Samuel)
Lapolius Samuel 1895 Yarmouth, Verdi Archer 1898 Acle, Pansy Leonora 1898 Acle, Ivy Ellen 1900 Loddon, Rosemary Constance 1901 Loddon, Morelli b.1904,  Stanley1905 Leonard Oseri b.1908 also reputedly Walter and Maurice.

There were a couple of Begonias in this family.
 Begonia C Gray 1910-1910 d/o Lewis Andrew Gray & Agnes Pope
They also appear to have had Begonia Rose Victoria May who married Henry James s/o Barron Gray (he in turn being s/o Adolphus Gray and Harriet, the brother of Genty Gray)
The other Begonia is Ellen Begonia (Nellie) b.1895 Geldeston d/o Frederick Cyril Gray and Laura Smith, he being s/o Genty Gray.

Offline Britgal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Monday 31 December 18 00:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi all - long time no post!

Can I correct bookwormtilley's case of mistaken identity that Cornelius Smith (father of famous evangelist Gipsy Rodney Smith) had a daughter, Lavina, who married Obadiah Gray? 

In his memoirs, written in 1901, Rodney says ""My second sister, Lovinia, is Mrs. Oakley, and lives at Luton, a widow." 

In my tree notes I have Lovinia, aged 19 marrying Edward Oakley, a Horse Dealer (b 21 Mar 1857, Fenny Stratford, Buckinghamshire, son of William Oakley & Sarah Nash), on 26 Dec 1876 in Luton, Beds.  I've got a copy of their marriage cert. showing Lovinia was the daughter of Cornelius Smith, Hawker.  Lovinia & Edward had 7 children, all born in Luton:

Sarah Oakley   b. 17 Feb 1877
Matilda Oakley   b. abt. 1879
Edward Oakley   b. abt. 1882
Beatrice Oakley   b. abt. 1885
Emily Oakley   b. abt. 1887
Minnie Oakley   b. abt. 1890
May Oakley   b. abt. 1874

... and she remained in Luton until her death on 30 Oct 1908.  I was in touch for a while with Lovinia and Edward's great granddaughter Jackie (via their daughter Emily) over in New Zealand, and she knew all about the connection with Gipsy Smith. 

This is just to scotch that particular rumour (which bookwormtilley states they found somewhere online) and would suggest that An65's 13 Oct 2010 23:41 post containing the info re the Lavaina who married Obadiah Gray is much more likely to have hit the nail on the head.

Anyway, I've really enjoyed reading the threads on here with the info on the Grays ... I have a slender link to them in that my ggg grandmother Naomi Buckley (b. abt. 1841, d. of Joiner Buckley and Seni Smith) had a brother, Hercules Buckley (aka Dud / Arkless / Arthur who often used the Smith surname), who was briefly married to Genty Gray (b. 1835, d. of Osiri Gray and Eliza Heron).  Genty's younger sister Keomi (the Pre-Raphaelite model) seems to have had a really interesting life (does anyone have a clear photo of her, by any chance?) and the more I read about the Grays / Herons (Hearns) the more I feel they're bound to be further connected to my Smiths (and Buckleys and Taylors) by more than marriage.  I should add Naomi and Hercules' big sis Justinia Buckley was married to the aforementioned Cornelius Smith's brother Woodlock ... and Cornelius & Woodlock's brother Bartholomew is my ggg-grandfather ... whose daughter Naomi Smith married the aforementioned Naomi Buckley's - and James Taylor's - son Algar ... phew :D  ;D - so interwoven, these Romanies!

Offline DaveNottm

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Thursday 08 August 19 17:18 BST (UK) »
I am interested in the Edward Oakley mentioned, who married Lavinia Smith as I think he MAY be my gg grandfather. I say "may", because my great grandfather was named Edward Oakley Cannon by his mother Emily Cannon. Edward's father was not named on the birth certificate. I have read that at the time, illegitimate children were often named after the father, so as a bit of a leap of faith, I looked for an Edward Oakley in Luton around the same time and came across the Oakley family living at the Welcome Stranger Beer House on Duke Street, Luton.

As I expanded the Oakley family tree, I found that Edward Oakley's mother was called Sarah Nash (1837-1906); Sarah Nash had a sister called Ursula Nash (1831-1868); Ursula was married to Henry Cannon (1827-1895) - my great great great grandfather; Henry and Ursula were (wait for it) the parents of our great great grandmother Emily Cannon!

So, if Emily did have a child by Edward Oakley, Emily and Edward were cousins.

Is there any knowledge in the Oakley family of a relationship with his cousin before he married Lavinia?

I have attached a subset of the tree to illustrate.

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • great grandmother Emma Jane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Saturday 10 August 19 22:50 BST (UK) »
I noticed the Boilings and varients being discussed on this post;i have a marriage in my tree that might be of intrest to anyone researching them.

Thomas Penfold to Lavinia Tholling on 3rd September 1849 Iden,Sussex,his father John,her father Thomas.
Also on Ancestry same people but the marriage is given as J/A/S 1849 Rye,Sussex where the surname is Bolling.

They are on the 1871 living in a caravan in Northfleet,her birth shown as 1832 in Horsmonden piece895 folio105 p31.

I think her death is in Woolwich in 1905 aged 80,so 1825 would be her birth.

I cant see her on the 1841,nor a Thomas Bolling who might fit.I see you suggest it might be a variant of Boswell,quite possible as Thomas is a name they used quite a bit.My cousins father in law was Tommy Boswell from Kent.

Might be of no intrest,but I thought I would just throw it in as a possible Penfold link to your family.

Nel.

Offline skyshot1990

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Friday 16 August 19 14:15 BST (UK) »

Laommi/Lumi/Ellen always appears alone on the census, because William is travelling with his other wife, Tabitha Smith, a daughter of Wisdom and Hannah, c.1803 Cropwell Bishop, Nthants.

May I ask what proof you have of this statement please?