Author Topic: Tansey/Tanzy  (Read 31198 times)

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tansey/Tanzy
« on: Wednesday 26 March 08 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Well now Im looking for any info on William Tansey supposedly born cir 1806 Wales, but quite possibly anywhere ..........
He married Esther Gray bapt 1812 Outwell Cam d/o Thomas Gray & Susannah Faben. Esther was sister to John Budd (Jack) Gray and Piramus Gray.

Another reference to the Tansey family comes in the form of Joyce/Jessie Tansey who married George Boyling/Boylen/Boiling.

Im pretty sure she appears on the 1851 census at Spridlington as Mary Boylen, with her daughter by George, Ellen Gray (Really Salome Ellen bapt 1823 Scampton Lin)

For sure, George Boyling was buried at Nettleham Lincs, in 1873, and Joyce was buried the same place in 1885.

Looking at the IGI - a Charlotte Tansey was baptised in Burslem Stf in 1808, and I cant help but wonder if this is her under another alias. If so, she was daughter of William and Charlotte. Her brother would have been William Tansey baptised 17.02.1811 Frisby Leic. He would correspond with the William who married Esther Gray.

Does anyone know anything about the Boylings and Tanseys/Tanzys, and can shed any light on this one? Please?

Offline ROMANYGENES

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Tansey/Tanzy
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 March 08 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Ann think Eric mentioned that :Some reports have Trinity Boswell as the mother of lumi she did later partner George) but from Winstedts notes and from the baptism ;Salome Ellen Boylin dau of George Boyling and Joyce,further info fro Eric  who said that a Jane Tanzy who he suspects is a sister of Joyce Tanzy , married Tom Boswell.

Offline ROMANYGENES

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 March 08 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to mention :-
Zachariah Boswell married Sarah Boiling/Boyling aka Boswell (according to the Geneology of the Boswells) however it also states that Sarah Boyling's father is George Boyling (read Boswell) and Trinity Boswell. I have found an IGI entry which says her parents are Caesar Boswell and Sarah ??

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 March 08 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Thx Sue, was aware of the suposed parentage of Salome Ellen, (Lumi Ellen) - but seen the IGI and its a deffo that its Joyce Tansey.

Am really hoping to nail this one :)

Am aware of Zachariah Boswell and Sarah Boyling marriage, they are direct ancestors of one of my far-flung romany rellies!

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 March 08 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Cesear Boyling married:

1) Mary Royston at Boston in 1768, by whom there was Samuel Thomas and Ambrose.

2) Sarah Smith at 1780 Wrawby by Brigg, by whom there was John and Sarah.

Sarah (b.cir 1784 Spalding) married Zachariah Boswell in 1809 in Kirton In Lindsey.

Offline ROMANYGENES

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 March 08 17:30 GMT (UK) »
I have some old notes somewhere?? but where??LOL but i know i found one boyling and he was under the boswell name or vice versa? and i emailed Bob as he never had the record but for the life of me cant remember but will try and hook my old notes out.

Offline ROMANYGENES

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 March 08 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Just found this note i made at time :=
n Robert Dawsons *Book of Boswell*he disputes the Jgls notes that"appys mother as Trinity Boswell
he says this is a confusion  for his sister Trinity,there is no reason to disbelieve Phillis account as in a
removal order for 21 july 1821 she was charged for vagrancy  and put into the house of correction and county gaol at Louth Lincs.On the same day Absalom and his wife Mary ,Elias his son and Trinity his daughter and then removed to his place of birth Drinkston Leicester.To confuse things more according to Oral tradition from the jgls it has Absalom as son of Anselo and this is confirmed by correspondence
between  Henry Sherriff (aka Monty,SherriffBoswell,and Henry Boswell)who was Absaloms great grandson.This is recorded in the book edited by Robert Dawson  and published as "Henry Drybread" The Richard Wade papers" published in 2001.Robert Dawson also says that if Absalom had Clara by Rebecca Clayton he would be 65?unless another Absalom ,I have found a Absalom Boyling age b 1816 lincs in the 1861 Census with wife Rebecca b 1818 and with them are 4 of his children  and 3 Smith grandchildren
Is this the son of AbsalomBoswell i Now realise that Absalom  is thought t be the son of Anselo Boswell and not Daniel Boswell . 

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 March 08 17:49 GMT (UK) »
George and Trenit or Joyce (no distinction made here simply issue of George) according to my notes include:

Sarah 1830 Glentham Lin
Absalom 1820 Swaby/Scrooby? Lin married Rebecca
Stephen 1815-18 Worksop Nott/Lin
Elizabeth 1818 Clarboro Nott
George 1826 Babworth Nott
Salome Ellen 1823 Scampton Lin

Of Which:

Absalom & Rebecca:
Henry 1850 Leic
Lemernaylor 1848 Ashby De La Zouch
Matthew 1854 Breedon LEI
Treanetter or Trinity Codnor or Basford
Maria b.cir 1841 Lemonton Rut married ? Smith

Salome Ellen had:

Elias or Eli b.1840-5 Nettleham Lin married Sarah A.
Drusilla b.cir 1845 Ingham Lin married Walter Smith (Ran off)
Lucy b.cir 1850 Sheffield
Joycey b.cir 1858 Bradford married Heenan Herring
Esther b.cir 1855 Barnsley Yks or Bardney Lin?
Mary A b.cir 1864 Wath Yk married Thomas Humberstone.

Offline ROMANYGENES

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 March 08 18:01 GMT (UK) »
The Boylings seem elusive thats for sure its funny whilst looking at something else I came across the marriage for Angereena Boyling to Fred Wilsher Dec 1914 at Doncaster. Do you think it was aka Boswell Name the Boylings I mean?