Author Topic: Blue Bells Inn - Auckland St Andrew  (Read 2061 times)

Offline vonni

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Blue Bells Inn - Auckland St Andrew
« on: Wednesday 26 March 08 22:02 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out more about the Blue Bells Inn, Main Street, South Church.

My ancestor William Musgrave (b1808 in Grinton) lived there with his wife Ann Allan (b1804 in High Whiteside, Grinton). They must have lived in the Inn for about 30 years but had vacated it by 1891 and the Inn was empty by the 1901 census.
It is my understanding that the Inn was opposite the steps to St Andrews Church and was pulled down in a 1950's slum clearance - to be replaced with council housing.
I would be interested to know if anyone has any further information on this Inn, or even images.
I would also be interested to hear from anyone also researching the Musgraves in the South Church area.
Walker (North Yorks/Co Durham), Clement (North Yorks), Appleton (North Yorks), Bainbridge (Co Durham), Lund (Co Durham + Lancashire), Musgrave  (Grinton, N Yorks), Robinson (North Yorks), Reay (Co Durham), Hodgson (Darlington), Rutherford (N Yorks), Pearson, Addis (Monmouthshire), Alan (Monmouthshire), Morlinn/Marlinn (Longford Ireland), Janson (North Yorks), Turmey (Reading), Dodds (Co Durham)

Offline O1dgobbo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Blue Bells Inn - Auckland St Andrew
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 March 08 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I found William Musgrave and Ann in the 1871 and 1881 censuses at the Blue Bell in South church but the enumerator has not given any indication of the street. 

Kelly's 1910 Directory has Mrs Elizabeth Mawson at the Blue Bell P.H. South Church but no street name.

The 1901 census records the Blue Bell on Main Street somewhere between the school house and the Coach and Horses Inn.  It was uninhabited in occupation (I presume this means it was in use but nobody lived there).  Frank Mawson (beer cellarman and cowkeeper) and his wife Elizabeth are recorded as living in Aukland Road.

Good luck

Gobbo
Aberdeenshire - Chalmers, Crocker, Dalrymple, Kelman
Fife - Co?per, Dun, Jackson
NE England - Harland, Hasted, Heaviside, Longridge, Thompson
SE England - Drawbridge, Hall, Hayward, Howard, Newell, Seward, Slade, Smith

Offline vonni

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 March 08 12:37 GMT (UK) »
HI,
Thank you for your reply,
I got the street for the Inn from the 1891 Census when the Musgraves had left and the street is clearly indicated on the census. I was also informed of the location opposite the Church from a member of a Bishop Auckland history chat forum - and this fits with the census.
I am hoping that there may be information about the Inn at the local library but I have not had chance to go and have a look yet.
Again, many thanks for having a look at it for me.
Vonni
Walker (North Yorks/Co Durham), Clement (North Yorks), Appleton (North Yorks), Bainbridge (Co Durham), Lund (Co Durham + Lancashire), Musgrave  (Grinton, N Yorks), Robinson (North Yorks), Reay (Co Durham), Hodgson (Darlington), Rutherford (N Yorks), Pearson, Addis (Monmouthshire), Alan (Monmouthshire), Morlinn/Marlinn (Longford Ireland), Janson (North Yorks), Turmey (Reading), Dodds (Co Durham)

Offline nigelturpin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 August 08 18:40 BST (UK) »
William Musgrave & Ann Allan are my Great Great Great Grandparents.
Would love to swap & compare info.

(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.
TURPIN
PEDELTY
ALDERSON
MUSGRAVE
CHARNLEY

Offline Ileysearch1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 August 19 12:08 BST (UK) »
I am also related to William and Ann Musgrave who lived at the Bluebells Inn. They are my Great great grandparents. Related via their son William and their son William!
Would be interested to make contact wit others who are investigating their tree with connections.
This is the first time i have used this site, I'm not sure how I receive any responses, is it by Email?

Offline nigelturpin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 August 19 12:18 BST (UK) »
They are my Gt Gt Gt Grandparents.
My line is also through William
And then his daughter Elizabeth Musgrave 1871-1851 who married Thomas Pedelty.

NIGEL
TURPIN
PEDELTY
ALDERSON
MUSGRAVE
CHARNLEY