Author Topic: James Brown in Bedford, 1841/1851 Cenus lookup request please.  (Read 1343 times)

Offline anpagrant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
James Brown in Bedford, 1841/1851 Cenus lookup request please.
« on: Friday 14 January 05 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi, We are trying to trace James Brown in Bedford and would like to ask if people who have access to the 1841/1851 census, could check to see who he was living with and where were their origins. We know he was married to an Anne Rayner in 1841 and was widowed in 1851. They had Six children in total including a Frederick Brown who was born in 1847.

We appreciate any help you can give us and many thanks in advance....Paula
Langford, James, Hill, Grant, Reavil, Brown, Eggelton, Elkerton, Bauer, Jarvis, Card, Simpson, Lovie,

Offline Sisterjane

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Castle Hill Huddersfield...Im Here..Where are They
    • View Profile
Re: James Brown in Bedford, 1841/1851 Cenus lookup request please.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 January 05 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Could this be them in 1851

Name:    Frederick J. Brown
Address:    Mount Cottages 
Enumeration district:    Lewes 
County:    Sussex
Birth Place:    Surrey, England, Merton 
Address:    Mount Cottages 
Enumeration district:    Lewes 
County:    Sussex
Birth Place:    Surrey, England, Merton 
Relationship:    Son 

Name Residence
(ED, County) Birth Place Gender Age

Emily Brown Lewes, Sussex Kent, England, Deptford  Female  7 
Frances A. Brown Lewes, Sussex Surrey, England, London  Female  9 
Frederick J. Brown Lewes, Sussex Surrey, England, Merton  Male  5 
James B. L. Brown Lewes, Sussex Surrey, England, Cobham  Male  33 
Louisa J. Brown Lewes, Sussex Sussex, England, Lewes  Female  1 
Lucy A. Brown Lewes, Sussex Sussex, England, Lewes  Female  3 
Mary A. Brown Lewes, Sussex Surrey, England, London  Female  10 
Mary A. Brown Lewes, Sussex Nottinghamshire, England, Nottingham  Female  33 

jOE

Kershaw, Longbottom,Parvin
Areas  Huddersfield, Brighouse, Rastrick ,Thirsk, Sand Hutton
Masters in London/Surrey
Cencus information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline anpagrant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 January 05 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your message but our James Brown was not born or lived in sussex as far as we are aware....PAULA
Langford, James, Hill, Grant, Reavil, Brown, Eggelton, Elkerton, Bauer, Jarvis, Card, Simpson, Lovie,

Offline criggy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 January 05 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paula

1851 Census

Bedford HO 107/1751/179 Bedford & Kempston 5 folio 636

Harpur Street, Bedford  (Schedule 72)

James Brown Head Widower 50 Stonemason bn Herts Hemelhemstead
Jane Brown dau 17 bn Bedford
Charlotte Brown dau 13  bn Bedford
Fanny Brown dau 5 bn Bedford
Frederic Brown son 4 bn Bedford

Regards

criggy

All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching London: Crisp, Leahy, Lumley. Berks: Billington, Leahy, Newbury, Yorks: Naylor, Smith, Thackwray, Wilkinson, Lancs: Smith. Leics: Everitt, Marshall, Purcell, Lincs: Bullivant, Everitt, Johnson, Sargeant, Ward. Gloucs: Chard, Coopey, Cowley, Croome, May, Millman, Organ, Savage, Shearman. Ireland: Leahy (Killarny, Kilkenny, Kerry, Cork)

Offline anpagrant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 January 05 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your research. This does look like our James Brown because the children we were aware of are are all listed and there may be reference to the fact that Fanny was Deaf & Dumb.

The only contradiction to what information we had, was that James Brown was listed as being born in Hemel Hempstead, where as the information we had from the 1881 census showed that he was born in Cambridge.

It could be that the James Brown we have listed in 1881 is the wrong man, however he was listed as a Stonemason and approximately the same age.

Do you have access to the 1861 census? Could be interesting to see what was listed then.

Thanks again....PAULA

Offline criggy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 January 05 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paula

Hmmm when people say about discrepancies you begin to doubt yourself!

I went on one of my rare trips to Bedford a few days ago. As I had some spare time I took a list of requests for the 1851 census & visited the library.

What a shame you didn't say about Fanny - I didn't think to check the section that stated about infirmities so could have missed that.

To start with I had to check the index booklets & write down the info. On my paper the index quoted James Brown 50 Hrt 636 etc. I then only had limited time to check the actual census records. This time it gave the town Hemelhemstead, Herts so I don't think I made an error here as I checked specially to see if it gave further info. In the index booklets, if the person came from a different county, the county only is usually stated rather than the town they were born in. I wonder if an error was made in the 1881!

You do need the other census info to confirm things. However it does sound as though he is your man despite the conflicting info! I'm afraid I don't have access to the 1861 but I'm sure someone else does. You could also do with the 1841!

Keep searching

Regards

criggy

All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching London: Crisp, Leahy, Lumley. Berks: Billington, Leahy, Newbury, Yorks: Naylor, Smith, Thackwray, Wilkinson, Lancs: Smith. Leics: Everitt, Marshall, Purcell, Lincs: Bullivant, Everitt, Johnson, Sargeant, Ward. Gloucs: Chard, Coopey, Cowley, Croome, May, Millman, Organ, Savage, Shearman. Ireland: Leahy (Killarny, Kilkenny, Kerry, Cork)