Author Topic: Harry Smith's Father ???  (Read 4195 times)

Offline Stefan Woolf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Smith's Father ???
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 13 April 08 20:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lissa,

If you can get the right Thomas SMITH death cert, then at least we will know where he died, which may give clues to his burial.

I've yet to try approaching Drayton Beauchamp church directly about access to their records, but having seen the standard scale of charges the Anglican church say they apply for this, if Drayton Beauchamp stick by the rules, I don't think I'll be going for it.

My direct line are all accounted for, so further work in that Parish would only be side branches, and it's not something I can really justify spending out a lot of money on.

I too have many straw plaiters in my line, the most recent being Ann PENN, wife of William, ("Will"), SMITH. (These are my Great grand parents, both from the area we are talking about, but buried across the county boundary in Tring, Hertfordshire).

Let us know outcome on the certificates, and if I turn up anything else, I'll certainly get back to you.

Stef.

Offline Stefan Woolf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 13 April 08 21:25 BST (UK) »
An update on this.

Looking at both the 1841/1851 situation, then the hamlet of Dancer's End, where Thomas and Sarah SMITH were living fell within the parish of Buckland, Buckinghamshire.

That's still the case today, (although neighbouring parishes have changed dramatically since those dates).

The border with Drayton Beauchamp parish is within just a few hundred yards, but the home parish of anyone living in Dancer's End, (or nearby Ebb's Pit or Spencer's Green) would have been Buckland.

I'm glad you made me think about it, because it's the first time I've actually got around to working out the exact Status of these hamlets.

Alan

Offline murphy60

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 13 April 08 21:34 BST (UK) »
Progress!!!   maybe......

A sharp RC'er on the Oxford board found marriage of Richard WESTBURY to Mary COLLET  Jan 19, 1811  which fits (sorta) nicely to an extracted IGI record  for Sarah WESTBURY c. June 30 1811 in Charleton Ottmoor   Father indicated as Richard,  Mother as Mary.  

ADDED:   Richard indicated he came from Grendon Underwood, Buckinghamshire on the MC  ---   a hop and skip from Bicester !!

If a correct fit, made it to the alter just in time   ::) ::)

Now following this theory to determine if Richard WESTBURY could be part of this group and a son of a Joseph and Mary WESTBURY.   Mary possible nee LINES

1841 BICESTER, PLOUGHY HUNDRED, OXFORD  (CROCKWELL)
WESTBURY, Joseph 80 (1761)  Ag Lab    Of the County
WESTBURY, Mary 65 (1776)                         “
WESTBURY, Harriett 20 (1821)
WESTBURY, Richard 29 (1821)
WESTBURY, Thomas 15 (1826)
SMITH, Richard 4 (1837)             hmmmmmmmmmm  

???  Richard WESTBURY b. 1790 or earlier, a son of Joseph & Mary ???  
???  OR a 1st wife before Mary ????
???  Are Harriett, Richard & Thomas -  children or grandchildren
???  Who is Richard SMITH ???

IGI:  
Extracted Record:    Birth:   Joseph WESTBURY c. Sep 9, 1765 Bicester   Father:  Joseph

Extracted Record:    Marriage:  Joseph WESTBURY to Mary LINES 1802 Bicester

Extracted Record:    Birth:  Joseph WESTBURY c. Nov. 20, 1803 Bicester    Father:  Joseph  Mother: Mary

From IGI,  Possible Children of Joseph and Mary (LINES) WESTBURY:
•   Joseph c. 1803
•   Mary Ann c. 1806
•   Eliza c. 1809
•   Catherine c. 1811
ALL BICESTER

1851 BICESTER, MARKET END  68 SHEEPS STREET
WESTBURY, Harriett 33
WESTBURY, Richard 31
SMITH, RICHARD  13  RELATIVE  b. 1838 Bicester
NOTE:   William FRANKLIN lives next door

1861 BICESTER, MARKET END
FRANKLIN, William
FRANKLIN, Harriett
WESTBURY, Richard

1871 BICESTER, MARKET END
FRANKLIN, William 54 (1817) b. Chalford Il Giles, Buckinghamshire  Occ:  Carrier
FRANKLIN, Harriett 53 (1818)  b. Bicester   Occ:  Ag Lab
WESTBURY, RICHARD BRO-IN-LAW 50 (1821)  unm b. Bicester Occ:  Ag Lab

BMD: Death Jun QTR 1875 Bicester Richard WESTBURY Age 55

Likely a wrong track here......but posting anyway 'cause you never know and maybe you or someone will have some helpful thoughts/information.

Thanks again, Stef.

lissa

Offline murphy60

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 13 April 08 21:39 BST (UK) »
Glad I was of help to you  ---   HA HA!!!   Not much return on your investment, I'd say........

Offline Stefan Woolf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 14 April 08 22:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the update Lissa,

Now I'm aware of someone's interest in some other Aston Clinton SMITHs I'll try hard to see if I spot anything on them, whilst working on my lot.

Let us know of any successes you can get from new leads, and (particularly) if you manage to find Thomas' death registration.

I still feel he ought to be buried at one of the churches I checked, and am intrigued why he is not.

Stef.