Author Topic: John Mailey  (Read 6131 times)

Offline jackie0051

• RootsChat Extra
  • Email is working again..
    • View Profile
John Mailey
« on: Sunday 30 March 08 12:13 BST (UK) »
John Mailie, Mailey born approx 1920 Ireland.
Married to Isobella (Bella) McElhinney.
Owner of the only garage Raphoe 1934 to 1939.
Left Raphoe 1939 arrived Manchester England 1940's.
Brennan. Harden. McElhinney, Towhey, Lovely- Towhey, Loval Towhey. Pattingale, Bentley. Scott. Pool.
Kilkenny, Dublin, Co. Donegal. England. Berwick on Tweed. Birmingham. Manchester America, New York, Oregan.

Offline vincent terry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Mailey
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 July 18 18:37 BST (UK) »
John Patrick Mailey was my grandfather brother, they lived in the 'Close' in Raphoe. My email address is *

* Moderator comment: personal e-mail address removed in accordance with RootsChat general practice to avoid others spamming or abusing it.  Please use the personal message system to exchange e-mail addresses.  New members need to make two or three posts in order to be able to access this system.  Thanks

Offline jackie0051

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 July 18 11:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Vincent, this is so exciting, many thanks for your reply, only just seen this morning but RootsChat have remove your email address so will try to send you a private message.. Kindest regards Jackie.
Brennan. Harden. McElhinney, Towhey, Lovely- Towhey, Loval Towhey. Pattingale, Bentley. Scott. Pool.
Kilkenny, Dublin, Co. Donegal. England. Berwick on Tweed. Birmingham. Manchester America, New York, Oregan.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 July 18 16:44 BST (UK) »

Doubtful he owned a garage in 1934/39 if he was born 1920  :-\

Northern Whig, 10 July 1930: … said that he was not in any way obstructing the red reflector the cycle from the view of following traffic. John Mailey, motor dealer of Raphoe, Co. Donegal, said he was in the car, which was driven by George Stanley Gault, Glenbrook Avenue, Belfast, when...

Derry Journal, 4 May 1931: … Anthony M'Elhinney, a motor driver employed by John Mailey, Raphoe, stated in his evidence that the morning of the 10th April a taxi driver came to he house saying there was a man in ...

Londonderry Sentinel, 1 Oct.1932: At Raphoe District Court, before District Justice O’Hanrahan, Superintendent Smith prosecuted John Mailey, Raphoe, for an unlicensed motor car. Guard Maguire, Raphoe, proved the offence. Defendant said had been at home he would...

Londonderry Sentinel, 8 May 1934: RAPHOE GARAGE BLAZE. SEVEN MOTOR CARS DESTROYED Damage estimated at over £1,000 resulted from fire which broke out at garage in Raphoe during the week-end. The garage, which was one of the most important in East Donegal...

Derry Journal, 9 June 1937: CUSTOMS SHED REMARKABLE NOCTURNAL ESCAPADE RAPHOE GARAGE OWNER ACQUITTED Remarkable evidence ... at Letterkenny Criminal Sessions on Monday, when a young man, John Mailey. garage proprietor, of Raphoe. was indicted for, as alleged, on 10th or 11th...

Londonderry Sentinel, 14 Jan.1937: Raphoe Employer Fined. At Lifford Civil Court yeiterday, before District Justice O’Hanrahan, The Minister for Local Government and Public Health bad two civil bills against John Mailey, The Diamond, Raphoe, garage proprietor ...

Lots more offences in the papers- no wonder he decided to leave Ireland and go to England!

Londonderry Sentinel, 23 Feb.1939: … of the Customs regulations came before District Justice O’Hanrahan at Lifford Court yesterday, when John Mailey, whose address was given as Raphoe, and who, it was stated, had travelled specially from England, where he was now working, to meet the case ...
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 July 18 16:49 BST (UK) »

Marriage was in 1930 and John Patrick Mailey was 'full age' so at least 21-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1930/09039/5270736.pdf

Here's the Mailey family in 1911- John P. is age 4- address fits what vincent terry posted-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Donegal/Raphoe/The_Close/506624

John Patrick Mailey born 1906 NOT 'approx. 1920'
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1906/01720/1680565.pdf

Offline vincent terry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 July 18 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hi aghadowey, thank you for the info very interesting, i presume i have to look up the newspapers to read the full article. John was born on the 31-10-1906, so could have been the proprietor. i have a few court doc for 'Lifford which make interesting reading but they only give a short snap short of events.
Kind regards.
Vincent

* Moderator comment: personal e-mail address removed in accordance with RootsChat general practice to avoid others spamming or abusing it.  Please use the personal message system to exchange e-mail addresses.  New members need to make two or three posts in order to be able to access this system.  Thanks

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 July 18 18:03 BST (UK) »
We aren't allowed to post email addresses (yours was already removed once from your first post) and jackie0051's email address with Rootschat isn't working although she has been online since that was posted- hopefully she will soon see your posts.

There are too many articles about John Mailey and his offenses to post- just search here (and keep changing search terms to tease out the details) and you'll be able to get the gist of it all-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1906/01720/1680565.pdf

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 10:23 BST (UK) »
Vincent we have just removed your email address again, posting your email address online is how spammer pick up your details. Members are notified of replies by email notification and this is the safe way to use our website.

Yes Jackie's emails notifications are working correctly again I am sure she will reply to your message very soon.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jackie0051

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 10:37 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your replies Aghadowey, Terry and I are in contact but I'm not too well at the moment and haven't been able to follow up but hopefully things will improve for me during the next few days. Thrilled will the new info as I can now see (besides the Mailey and McElhinney marriage) the link between the Mailey's and McElhinney's more clearly. My interest is via the research of my late father Alan Brennan (DOB 1925) and his grandfather Thomas Brennan. Dad appeared to have finished school early and came to England with Bernard and Susan McElhinney in 1938 (Isobella's parents), Dad appears on the 1939 UK census as a 14 year old and working as a carpenter living in Chorlton on Medlock Manchester, haven't found any more info until after the War when he is living with the McElhinney's and married Mum 1947. Can't find a birth cert for Dad and Army Records do not have him on their records even though I have pics of his Army ID photo. All very much a mystery but have found Dad's birth mothers Irish family, sadly they knew nothing of him. Recently via DNA discovered his birth fathers family but once again no info re Dad.