Author Topic: "... just an AgLab". JUST an AgLab ??  (Read 29532 times)

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
Re: "... just an AgLab". JUST an AgLab ??
« Reply #18 on: Friday 14 January 05 11:27 GMT (UK) »
well dont miss the bit in the middle the 40 or so years which is where you have fun and then turn into your grandmother!!!
Pomeroy in London & Liverpool , Pomery near Launceston Cornwall, Shearer of Thurso, Moore in Colchester and Hornblow in Braintree Essex, Machin in Hackney & Stafford & Cook in Herts, Campbell, Sutherland, Mackay, Brotchie, Gunn in Thurso Caithness. Cadle in South Africa.

researching the Pomeroy Family of Collaton in Newton Ferrers and St Columb in Cornwall

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 14 January 05 20:14 GMT (UK) »
They were the back bone of the English Empire.

:o

As I try to remember that New years Resolution ....... 

Offline juddee

• RootsChat Senior
  • Found them! Found them! I wish!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 14 January 05 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Carmela for that explanation.  :D I'm presently delving into what their work conditions etc were like on farms so this has given me a better understanding of the terms used.

Berlin - Bob
Thank you for posting Ag Labs.   :D      Really bought home how tough and hard working my ancestors were.  Quite a few of my family were and are farmers so the tradition has carried on to the present.

But it  doesn't seem to matter what job description they had  one thing is for sure  they all worked ...... hard!!!!

Kind regards
Juddee    :) :)
Living in the land of Oz<br />Berkshire TASKER<br />Cambridgeshire BLANKS HAYDEN, STEWART<br />Durham GRAY LAVERICK UNTHANK<br />Gloustershire ANDREWS WILLINGTON<br />Hertfordshire HALES HAYDEN<br />Lancashire WHITE HARTNET<br />Oxfordshire EATON TASKER<br />Somerset  DAINTY GERRETT MURRAY SLADE<br />Wiltshire BARTLETT GERRETT<br /> Galway HICKEY LEWIS <br />Germany HARTMANN SCHUEMACHER<br />

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 15 January 05 07:53 GMT (UK) »
One thing I did notice about most of my ancestors who lived and worked on the land, was that they lived far longer than those who moved to the cities for work. Although it was often a case of work or starve as there was no such thing as retirement.

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 16 January 05 15:07 GMT (UK) »

Heres a link that has some intersting info...

www.ruralhistory.org/nof/victorianfarming
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline sussexkim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 09 August 05 16:12 BST (UK) »
This post just endorses my plea to people to look into their family HISTORY, not just their family TREE.

Find out how your ancestors lived, how much they were paid, how many they slept to a room (often no bed), how they travelled, what they ate, what furniture they had, what their most prized posession was, how they wiped their bottom (before newspapers), how their toilets worked, what did women use, ............................the list is endless

Teddybear

I quite agree with this.

Someone once told me that looking into your ancesters is not just about the family tree, it is about putting the leaves and flowers onto the branches.

Kim
Forever searching for NEWNHAM in Fletching/Danhill/Horsted Keynes/Cuckfield area of Sussex
Also BROWNING, WARNETT and STEPNEY

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 09 August 05 22:52 BST (UK) »
Just replying to Leagen's plea early on in this thread...

Leagen, an Ag Lab is an Agricultural Labourer (but you've probably already worked that out by now!)
The term "rellie" for relative I didn't realise was used in the UK, but it's definitely used in Australia where we attempt to abbreviate everything possible - it's said that we do it so we don't have to open our mouths for as long, thus preventing flies from getting in!!!  ;D  Here's an example:

"I'm gunna make sm bikkies after I 'ave me brekky, coz the rellies 'r' comin' round 'n' the hubby's chuckin' a tanty coz there's no footy on the telly till Satdee"

:)

Prue

Offline Emjaybee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Yer I be again
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 10 August 05 10:03 BST (UK) »
Are men born free and equal? by Robert Buchanan  1890

"in past times, treated the farmer's man as half-labourer and half-pauper"

Wessex Tales by Thomas Hardy

"Some few years ago a certain farmer was riding through this lane in the gloom of a winter evening. The farmer's friend, a dairyman, was riding beside him. A few paces in the rear rode the farmer's man"

Another reference in Shakespeare in Love refers to the farmers man or churl beating his flail on the corn.

Conclusion:

The farmer's man was the lowest rank of farm labourer who road at the rear of hs master and lived in poverty.

A churl, in its earliest Anglo-Saxon meaning, was simply "a man", but the word soon came to mean "a non-servile peasant", still spelt ceorle, and denoting the lowest rank of freemen. According to the Oxford English Dictionary it later came to mean the opposite of the nobility and royalty, "a common person". This meaning held through the 15th century, but by then the word had taken on negative overtone, meaning "a country person" and then "a low fellow". By the 19th century, a new and pejorative meaning arose, "one inclined to uncivil or loutish behaviour".

Mike
Beard Voyce, Scrivens in Worcestershire

Offline dawghowsca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 10 August 05 21:53 BST (UK) »
You wouldn't happen to have an ISBN on that book, would you?

dawghows
Sussex:  Smith, Booker, Hobden, Wickens, Stubbs
Nottingham:  Scattergood, Marriott, Smith
Manchester:  Gibson, McLean, Allan, Sephton
Antrim:  Todd, McClune, Morrison
Canada:  Smith, McDonough, Maitland, Walker
Sutherlandshire:  McLean, Gunn, McKenzie, Morison, McRae, Matheson
Pennsylvania:  Todd