Author Topic: Trotts in England  (Read 11830 times)

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
Re: Trotts in England
« Reply #27 on: Monday 31 March 08 10:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Nee,

I've merged your posts as it can be a wee bit confusing when some info has already posted.

Can I ask you don't post any information about living people it is a risk that information maybe used for fraudulent reasons.

Please see this post for finding living relatives.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,261434.0.html

Best of luck,
Pam
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline Neesha

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 31 March 08 11:03 BST (UK) »
hey pam,

None of these people are alve as of now....They've all passed away and im trying to tace members of their families as they will be related to me...Im actually trying to trace a Mr Danvers Harrington Trott as he is my great grand father....

do you know of any place where i can get information of the Edinburgh school of marine engineering

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 31 March 08 11:13 BST (UK) »
"C & M Station" was a muncipality of Bangalore, so that's referring to the location in which he took the exam, not which exam he took.

Yes - and in this context "C & M" stand for "Civil & Military".

Anna
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Online Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 31 March 08 11:53 BST (UK) »
I gave you a link which explains medal cards on your original thread:

The medal card basically lists the medals to which he was entitled, date of entry into a theatre of war, and date of discharge - at least that's all I have on grandad's!  More detailed explanation here: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/medals.asp#read

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neesha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 31 March 08 14:05 BST (UK) »
k...And when someone does this Civil and military exam how old does he have to be at that time anddoes he do any other exam or course after that to gain eligibility into the army or navy?

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 31 March 08 14:23 BST (UK) »
k...And when someone does this Civil and military exam how old does he have to be at that time anddoes he do any other exam or course after that to gain eligibility into the army or navy?

There's no evidence of what the exam was that he took.  It is not described in the relevant publication as the Civil & Military exam - but rather as an examination (unspecified) which he took in the C & M Station in Bangalore.

Without more information it's impossible to know how old he would have been, or the purpose of the exam.

I agree with Silvery that it may well be worth contacting the school to see what if anything their archives contain about him.

Anna
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 31 March 08 14:30 BST (UK) »
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Neesha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 31 March 08 18:26 BST (UK) »
hey silvey after u gave me the licnk to the school a few weeks ago we made a trip down to bangalore...however they only had records from 1900's and the posting on fibis was of 1885...Tried writing to the fibis people who put up the posting but they couldnt reveal where their source was form...wanted to vist the bangalore spectacle newspaper to go through thir old records but looks like the newspper has ceased to exist.....

so im trying to trace what the C & M exam was all about and if anyone needed to do that for any specific reason cos then i can link things that way...Tried applying for the medal card as well...will that have his DOB or place of birth???

or will that just have geeral details and can i trace back from there....can u help pls

Nee

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 31 March 08 22:16 BST (UK) »
The age at mariage is likely to be more reliable, because he gave the detail himself - age at death is how old the informant thought he was...

If you don't have details of his WW1 medal entitlement, you can download the medal card for £3.50 at the National Archives site: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Medal card of Trott, Danvers H
Corps:  Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry
Regiment No:   30381    

If his service record survived the bombing of WW2, it will be at Kew, but can only be consulted in person, not by mail.  Some service records are now online at Ancestry http://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/, but only a few so far.

At the moment, I can't see a Danvers TROTT on the 1901 census or Free BMD.

Rambler

The service record will have more detail than his medal card.

You could try the armed forces board see if anyone can suggest anything there.

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"