Author Topic: Emigration to Montreal Canada-Info needed?  (Read 10962 times)

Offline worth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Emigration to Montreal Canada-Info needed?
« Reply #27 on: Friday 18 January 13 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Any info on the family is much appreciated, do you have any photos of the Mclauchlans after they emigrated? Did you know the others in the family, ie. his brother and sister, did you know Sams parents John and Jessie? I have just found Sams parents grave after alot of searching on the internet. If you dont mind me asking how old are you as i know that Sam Mclauchlan was born in 1898. I am from Sams mums side, Jessie, her maiden name was Heatlie. Do you live in Canada?
Speak soon
Dawn

Offline Sammc2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 18 January 13 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

I have all kinds of info on the McLauchlan family in Canada. I was born in 1938, so I knew my grandparents John McLauchlan and Jessie (Heatley). I also knew my Uncle John McLauchlan and his family as well as Margaret's (Aunt Greta) family as well. The website which I posted with their graves seems to be defunct now, but I do have photos of their graves as well.

When we were in Scotland in April 2005 we went to Selkirk armed only with a photograph of the Heatley 50th anniversary (about 1963?) and asked around, first at the tourist info booth and then in one of the stores whether they recognized anyone in the photo and indeed they did. As a result we had tea with Tom and Bessie, both since deceased, and learned a little bit about the family, including the fact that one of the ancestors had come over from France to fight in one of the Scottish wars.

The other members of the Heatley family that I have met were my grandmother's sister Margaret (Aunty Meg) and her son John Caldwell who lived in Canada for a while as a representative of the Edinburg Essence Company. But Tom and Bessie unfortunately didn't seem to know anything about them. I would like to get more information about that side of the family but I'm not too sure how to communicate and to send pictures.

I'd like to get more info too. Do you have a Facebook page? If you look up Sam McLauchlan you will find me.

Cheers for now.

Sam

Offline worth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 18 January 13 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sam
I have looked on facebook but there are 5 different Sam Mclauchlans on there, it might be easier if you looked for my name, Dawn Heatlie, as there is only me with that name on it. It is really nice to be in contact with someone that knew these people as i have been looking for info on them in Canada for a long time. If you find me on facebook ill accept your request and i will send you my email address i have loads of info and photos on the Heatlies. Jessie Heatlie was my gg grandads sister there were 14 of them altogether. I also have been up to selkirk in scotland a few years ago now though and met with other family members, they still talk about the Mclauchlans that emigrated in the 1920s not alot is known though unfortunately.
Hope you find me on face book.
Speak soon
Dawn