Author Topic: Chisholm's of Melvaig also Macrae & Mackenzie  (Read 17603 times)

Offline Chris007

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Chisholm's of Melvaig also Macrae & Mackenzie
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 12 August 17 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I see you have photos of your great uncle William Chisholm as a POW.  This is my great grandfather and I'd be grateful if you could send me a copy.  My e-mail address is (*)

Thanks,

Kat
Hi kat,
My great grandfather is william chisholm also,his daughter ina chisholm is my grandmother
Regards
Chris
(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Chris007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 12 August 17 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I hope some of you are on here still as it has been a couple of years since your last post.  I have just started putting together my family history and aren't very sure where to start, but was very pleased when I came across this discussion.  My grandmother is is Eliza (William Chisolm's daughter).  I would be very greatful if some of you could help me fill in some of the gaps.  Margaret - would love to see your tree and your photos.

Thank you

Laura
Hi laura,
Lizzie is my grans sister (ina),sorry i dont have a tree but i have a lot of names written down that my gran told me were her relatives in melvaig if that helps.
Regards
Chris

Offline amh155

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 13 August 17 05:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Following my post I researched all the Chisholm families in Gairloch from Church registers and Scotlands People and linked as many families as I could back to earliest times of records.

My family from 27 Melvaig goes like this

1. Alexander Chisholm m Mary McRae 2 children known below

2. Flora Chisholm 1796-1877 m John McGregor
    John Chisholm 1800-1885 m Catherine Urquhart
                                           m Margaret McKenzie 5 known children below
3. Alexander Chisholm 1831 m Janet McLennan lived lot 4 Melvaig
    Roderick Chisholm 1837-1925 m Catherine McRae lived lot 27 Melvaig
    William Chisholm 1841-1928 m Ann McRae lived lot 13 Melvaig
     Kenneth Chisholm 1846-1911 m Isabella Mckenzie lived lot 27 Melvaig 4 children known below
    Margaret Chisholm 1851-1857

4.  Hector Chisholm 1878-
     John Chisholm 1879-
     William Chisholm 1881-
      Murdoch Chisholm 1884-
If any of this is useful please get in touch
AMH

Offline Chisholm81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 03 September 20 15:17 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

I'm not sure if anyone who has posted here still uses this site as i have just stumbled upon it but here's hoping.

My granny was born in Melvaig in 1913.  Her name was Annie Chisholm.  I seem to have found her birth registry but it doesn't have her fathers name on there.  Her mother is listed as Annie Chisholm also but my great granny at the end of her life (sadly before i was born) was going by the name Annie Macaskill. 

I stumbled upon this thread while doing further research following a trip up to Melvaig this past weekend.  The address on the birth registry is 13 Melvaig which seems to tie to the Ann Macrae mentioned in this thread.  However it is my belief and my mums that my granny was brought up in Shore House.  When looking up shore house this seems to suggest there was an Annie associated with this house that was married to a Melvaig man but gives no further details (i wondered if this Annie was my great granny), from stories my granny used to tell me when she was alive and i was younger Shore House seems liek the right fit and upon sending the pics to my mum she seems to think this was the house that she took my granny to but is not 100% sure.

Is there anyone who might be able to shed any further light on this mystery of our family at all??  Is there a connection here that anyone knows.  I appologise if this opens any old family wounds given what ive seen so far but i would really love to get to the bottom of this and would be nice for my mum to finally have answers that both my granny and great granny would be very tight lipped about

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 03 September 20 15:28 BST (UK) »
Hello Chris,

It has been a few years since Magzy logged in but they will be notified by email of your reply on the topic.

Welcome to RootsChat

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chisholm81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 03 September 20 16:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah

thanks for the response.  Fingers crossed then :)

Kev

Offline Chisholm81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 07 August 22 13:40 BST (UK) »
Hi all, following on from my previous post regarding my granny Annie Chisholm of 13 Melvaig and shore house.  I have been unable to figure out the shore house connection at this point, although there does seem to be a link to what may have been her uncle who was living there.

Here is what I have so far:-

Mother : on birth certificate as Annie Chisholm but before she was 17 shows as Ann.
Father : unknown
My granny was born on 16th august 1913.
Great granny married Kenneth Macaskill of Croft 16 Melvaig on the 25th March 1917 in dingwall.  His fathers name was Murdo and his mothers name was Jessie (maiden name Grant).

My granny and grandad were married in dingwall also in 1942!!

Back to my great granny though. 
She was born on 19th of November 1883.
Her father was William Chisholm and here mothers name was Ann (maiden name McRae) of lot 13 Melvaig.
She had several brothers and sisters, Kenneth, John, Margaret, Donald, Alex, Mary, and Isabella. 
William and Ann (my great great grandparents) were married 5th of March 1868.
Williams father was John Chisholm and his mothers name was Margaret with a maiden name of MacKenzie of lot 27 Melvaig
Ann’s father was John Macrae and her mother was (sadly unreadable on the marriage certificate) with a maiden name of Mackenzie.

Lot of work over month and months this has taken but finally put it all together and found some of those missing peices today

Looking through the posts here this would tie in with @amh155 post:-

Hi,
Following my post I researched all the Chisholm families in Gairloch from Church registers and Scotlands People and linked as many families as I could back to earliest times of records.

My family from 27 Melvaig goes like this

1. Alexander Chisholm m Mary McRae 2 children known below

2. Flora Chisholm 1796-1877 m John McGregor
    John Chisholm 1800-1885 m Catherine Urquhart
                                           m Margaret McKenzie 5 known children below
3. Alexander Chisholm 1831 m Janet McLennan lived lot 4 Melvaig
    Roderick Chisholm 1837-1925 m Catherine McRae lived lot 27 Melvaig
    William Chisholm 1841-1928 m Ann McRae lived lot 13 Melvaig
     Kenneth Chisholm 1846-1911 m Isabella Mckenzie lived lot 27 Melvaig 4 children known below
    Margaret Chisholm 1851-1857

4.  Hector Chisholm 1878-
     John Chisholm 1879-
     William Chisholm 1881-
      Murdoch Chisholm 1884-
If any of this is useful please get in touch
AMH

This would mean that me and my mum are descended from the same line but on the branch John and Margaret’s child William.

I hope this helps someone else and would be nice to hear from anyone who is a distant relative 🙂🙂

Offline Christine T

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 19 September 22 13:35 BST (UK) »
Hello - William Chisholm was my Grandfather - he was married to Catherine Mackenzie - my grandmother. My mother, Kennethina Chisholm lived with her grandmother and grandfather , Eliza and Alexander MacKenzie at 28 Melvaig, Gairloch. Sadly, growing up, I had very little contact with my Grandparents and would love to know more about them. My mother`s uncle was the lighthouse keeper. I have a very old photograph of my grandfather with some of the MacKenzie family standing in front of 28 Melvaig.
Christine T