Author Topic: Denbighshire Directory Lookup Please  (Read 3908 times)

Offline colette

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Denbighshire Directory Lookup Please
« on: Tuesday 01 April 08 00:08 BST (UK) »
Hi does anyone have access to a directory covering Colwyn Bay c 1916-20 looking to see who was at the Windsor Public House.

Regards Colette
Pratt, Benson, Haizelden, Ralston, Keller, Henshall, Wilson, Cook, Kilvert, Baylis, Lee.

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Re: Denbighshire Directory Lookup Please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 April 08 13:27 BST (UK) »
In Wales Trade Directories 1912  and 1918 ( online) there`s no mention of the Windsor in Colwyn Bay.
A few other hotels are named with proprieters.
Are you hoping to find a specific persons name  ??? ???.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline colette

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 April 08 14:40 BST (UK) »
Hi there yes a Thomas Henry ASCROFT...

Thanks Colette
Pratt, Benson, Haizelden, Ralston, Keller, Henshall, Wilson, Cook, Kilvert, Baylis, Lee.

Offline jjq

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 April 08 20:35 BST (UK) »
It may not help, but on the 1901 census, there is a "The Windsor" on Conway Road, Colwyn Bay, occupied by a James Smith (hairdresser) and family. I may be going to the archives in Llandudno either this week or nest, so can have a look at their directories - unless someone can help you before then.

TReagrds

Jan
Hertfordshire - Stone, Wells, Quarry,Claxton
London - Sutton (Southwark/Clerkenwell), Phillips (Clerkenwell), Stone (Chelsea)
Suffolk - Turner & Rogers (Lavenham)
Norfolk - (K)Nobbs & Germany (Norwich)
Middlesex - Shackell
Anywhere - Quarry & variants
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline colette

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 April 08 22:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan thank you so much..

Its a complicated story really..not my family but i guy whos up the wall on the Liverpool forum..

He has a Maidie Bargery born c 1900 on her marriage 1916 Birkenhead she names dad as Edward Bargery deceased Doctor...

Mother Annie ? never married this so called Edward Bargery who we cannot find.. so we dont know her maiden name..

1906 passenger list New York

Mr John Bennet
Mrs Bennet
Maidie Bennett

There was rumours in the family mums name was Bennett and Maidie told of when she went to New York as a girl

No Birth reg for a Maidie Bargery/Bennett etc

Mum Annie comes back from New York and has a son named Harry Vaughan Ascroft not Ashcroft!!!  IN CONWAY 1907.

Harrys marriage cert in Birkenhead Wirral says his dad was Thomas Henty Ascroft a Master Builder.. and he did marry this Annie.. ? we canot find a marriage for them not knowing her maiden name.. we have tried Vaughan, Bennett etc.

There was a Thomas Henry Ascroft in Bootle Lancs who was a Builder.. hes a possible candidate..
Ruour again is they lived in the Windsor Conway Rd Colwyn Bay..

Harry's Birth Sep 1907.. Harry & Maide seem to live in Birkenhead.. Maidie went to Sydney St Holywell Flint when she had her frst child to be with mum c 1917, so i am unsure when she lived in the Windsor..

I am getting back on to the guy now so will find out..

Cheers Colette

If you can help at all

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 April 08 12:23 BST (UK) »
Still no Ascrofts in the Wales trade directiories, but I did a `blanket search for Ascroft in all directores and the first I found was J&A Ascroft 233 Strand Rd Bootle. BUILDER
This is in Gore`s 1900 Trade and Official Directory.
Not your guy but surely some link.

Kellys directory 1894 Liverpool and Birkenhead.
28 Ash Street Bootle.
Thomas Smith . Joiner
Peter Ascroft. Joiner and Builder

I know this hasn`t solved the riddle, but if you have the time to search then you could find Edward Bargery.
 There was a Joseph Bargery in Liverpool , who was a dispenser at hospital. Kellys 1910 Alphabetical Directory Liverpool

This site is great , takes a bit of time to get used to , but has good results - if they are there. People had to pay to have there names in it.

http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/index.asp

I suppose another way you might have some luck is with electoral registers for Colwyn Bay area. ???

Offline colette

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 April 08 17:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks Will is it ???

I use historical directories alot and i have 1911, 1938 and 1962 for Liverpool.. do you have a 1910 directory ??

Regarding the Ascrofts Peter was Thomas Henry's dad... The J is James Peters brother..

The guy still hasnt posted on the forum so i await.

Thanks for your help..

Colette

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 April 08 12:52 BST (UK) »
I don`t have an actual copy, I use the Historical Directory site.

I recall seeing a Fanny Bargery on the same page as Joseph. She turned up in the 1901 census in Kirkdale, but nothing medical in the family.
 Fanny and husband Charles are in all census back to 1861, he is a inland revenue man  :o :o and the rest of the family - mostly daughters are in good jobs. Presumably quite wealthy then.
No sign of an Edward, or even Joseph Bargery.

I think you`ve got your work cut out with this one ::) ::) ::)
 It`s Annette. :)

Offline colette

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 April 08 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hi the guy got he birth cert of Harry Vaughan Ascroft 1907 address The Windsor Conway St Colwyn Bay.. dad Thomas Henry Ascroft Builder mum Annie Ascroft nee Bennett.... cant find a bloody Ascfoft - Bennett marriage.
Cant find her daughter Maidie Bargery birth.. cant find anything so someone is telling lies.. arent they..

I passed the 1901 census info about the Windsor to the guy..i recon they were lodging there ..

1907 ships manifest says sailing from Glasgow to friend S.M Levey Broadway New York.. 17th April 1906

John Bennett 36 b England place of Residence Southport for all 3 paid self
Mrs Bennett age b 33 England paid husband
Maidie Bennett age 6 b England paid father..

Its a mystery, then she has a son Harry in Conway at the Windsor..15th May 1907 so near a year later.

Cheers Colette