Author Topic: William Powell - Destination - 1886  (Read 1961 times)

Offline yosser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
William Powell - Destination - 1886
« on: Friday 14 January 05 18:06 GMT (UK) »
William Powell arrived in New York on the S/S Italy, September 7 1886.

Would it be possible to find out from the ships passenger lists or any other means where he was heading in the United States?

Yosser
Hughes - Flinshire - Denbighshire -  Lancashire
Powell - Lancashire - Breconshire
Beard - Cheshire - Derbyshire
Cole - Abbotsham/Bideford - Devonshire
Rowe - Lancashire - Caernarvonshire
Meaker- Gloucestershire- Monmouth

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
Re: William Powell - Destination - 1886
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 January 05 03:36 GMT (UK) »
I checked the ship list and it does not say where he was heading.  My experience is it depends who was logging in new arrivals.  SOme are more detailed then others.

I would suggest looking for the census returns.  1900 would be the next one as the 1890 was destroyed by fire.
-K
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline yosser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William Powell - Destination - 1886
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 January 05 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Nutkin,

Thanks for responding to my query.

I found out that William Powell finally ended up in Texas and his daughter was married there in January 1894. I was trying to fill in his movements from his arrival in September 1886 to his daughters marriage date.

William returned to  Liverpool England sometime in  1894 and his wife and son returned later that year.

Yosser
Hughes - Flinshire - Denbighshire -  Lancashire
Powell - Lancashire - Breconshire
Beard - Cheshire - Derbyshire
Cole - Abbotsham/Bideford - Devonshire
Rowe - Lancashire - Caernarvonshire
Meaker- Gloucestershire- Monmouth