Author Topic: KazzaQLD Second Chance Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In.  (Read 13188 times)

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
Re: KazzaQLD Second Chance Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In.
« Reply #90 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 13:29 BST (UK) »

Great news, Kaz...........   so some more digging for you.      ;D ;D
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline Kazzaqld

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Nanna on her wedding day
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Thursday 02 June 11 04:57 BST (UK) »
The Certificate finally arrived and I am confused again! :)

On it dear Sarah Ann says she is a widow and her father's name is Joseph DARBY. The witnesses are Joseph DARBY and Ann DARBY

So the hunt for DARBY is back on - Blimey this woman is confusing.

She was a busy girl, married, widowed, married and shacking up all before the age of 26!

I wasn't expecting that!

Cheers

Karen.
GRACE, HADLEY, ION,MURFET(T), SIZER, WALTERS, WISE - Tasmania,

BATTY, COLE,  GIBBS, GIBBINS/GIBBONS, GODDARD, GURNEY, HUGHES, JONES, LEE, PENNY, TROWER, WHALE, WILSHAW, WOODCOCK
New Zealand,

LEONARD, ROLLINGS, SIZER/SIZAR and many others - Cambridgeshire

BLACKBURN, CUNNINGHAM, DEAN, DOWGILL, GILL,HAINSWORTH, HUSBANDS, LOWE,  MABBLE, MARSHALL, MOORHOUSE, MYERS, PEARSON,PRESTON,  RAYNER, RILEY, SHOESMITH, SIGSTON, SKINN, TURNER, WARD, WILDMAN, WRIGHT

Yorkshire

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Thursday 02 June 11 10:01 BST (UK) »

She's no relation to Ernest, is she??            ;D ;D
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Friday 03 June 11 19:09 BST (UK) »
Hello Karen,

Thanks for your email - but I thought I would reply on here regarding Joseph Darby in case anyone has anything to add. Sarah Ann certainly did make things difficult for us!

In your email you mentioned that Joseph DARBY (Sarah Roberts's father) was recorded as occupation joiner on the marriage certificate to John CARBY. I think I have a promising candidate in my line of Darby's from Worksop. See what you think:

Joseph DARBY
b. c.1797 (apparently b. 19 Mar, see below)
bur. 13 Jun 1841, Worksop, Notts.
Joseph is given as a Machine Maker on the 1841 census - that fits with Joiner on the marriage cert.

m. Ann OATES on 29 Aug 1820
b. 26 Sep 1799, Worksop
d. 27 Jul 1890, Sheffield, Yorks.
(After Joseph's death, Ann married Richard RODEN at Worksop in 1851).

Known children of Joseph & Ann, all born Worksop:
- Louisa (c.1822-1905)
- Agnes (c.1824-1848)
- Teresa (c.1827-1896)
- Joseph (1829-1913)
- Edward Bernard (c.1837-1879)
- Eliza (1839-1898)

I have traced all the children, and have all the census data for each. In particular, their son Joseph (b.1829), who celebrated his golden wedding in 1910, had a wonderful article in the Worksop Guardian written about him and his wife (Karen, I can send you a copy if you like). It contains several useful genealogical facts, including that Joseph was born on 19 Mar 1829, coincidentally his own father's birthday! Even more useful it says that he "was the first son, there being four daughters before [him]." I have not been able to trace the fourth daughter - but now I think it is Sarah Ann.

I am descended from Joseph Sr.'s brother Bernard Darby (c.1795-1856). They were both sons of George DARBY and his wife Sarah, though I have not been able to progress any further back. The main problem is that I cannot find any baptisms for just about any of the Darby family, though they show up in the marriages and burials for Worksop parish church. I wonder if they were nonconformists? Some of the name choices strike me as being Catholic?

I think the coincidences in similar name choices between the children listed above and Sarah Ann's children are particularly significant - Teresa and Bernard were quite uncommon names back then.

Now, who on earth was Mr. Roberts? ;D I have found this census for Ann Darby, widow of Joseph Sr. - a clue perhaps:

1851 census: Newgate St, Worksop, Nottinghamshire (Ref: HO107/2122, Folio 108, Page 4)
Ann Darby, Head, W, 50, Seamstress, Notts Worksop
Edwd. Darby, Son, U, 13, Ag Lab, Notts Worksop
Richd. Roberts, Grandson, U, 3, Yorks Sheffield

Is Richard Sarah Ann's son? If so, this could be his birth - the cert would tell us his father's name:

Births Mar qtr. 1848
ROBERTS, Richard, Sheffield, vol. 22: 641

Lots to think about! :D

Alexander

Offline Kazzaqld

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Nanna on her wedding day
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Friday 03 June 11 22:33 BST (UK) »
HI Alexander,

Wow  :o

I think we are on a winner here, I really do. That last about Ann having a grandson Richard ROBERTS with her in 1851, that's got to be the clue that will click it into place.

I will order that certificate, and let you know as soon as it comes in.

The Teresa's and Bernard's were always intriguing to me too.

I know we don't have it 100% confirmed yet, but I feel like we just found Sarah Ann a family.  ;D

I will email you what I have on the wider tree- so looking forward to sharing with you.

Cheers

(cousin!) Karen.

GRACE, HADLEY, ION,MURFET(T), SIZER, WALTERS, WISE - Tasmania,

BATTY, COLE,  GIBBS, GIBBINS/GIBBONS, GODDARD, GURNEY, HUGHES, JONES, LEE, PENNY, TROWER, WHALE, WILSHAW, WOODCOCK
New Zealand,

LEONARD, ROLLINGS, SIZER/SIZAR and many others - Cambridgeshire

BLACKBURN, CUNNINGHAM, DEAN, DOWGILL, GILL,HAINSWORTH, HUSBANDS, LOWE,  MABBLE, MARSHALL, MOORHOUSE, MYERS, PEARSON,PRESTON,  RAYNER, RILEY, SHOESMITH, SIGSTON, SKINN, TURNER, WARD, WILDMAN, WRIGHT

Yorkshire