Author Topic: STEVENSTON Church history 1700s  (Read 5112 times)

Offline i love paisley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
STEVENSTON Church history 1700s
« on: Thursday 03 April 08 05:51 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I am seeking information on my gggggggrandfather, William Reid, born about 1678.  He was married to Sarah Bogle of Kilwinning  in 1702.  He was minister of Stevenston Church until his death in 1742.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I could look for information? I am hoping someone might know of some church records I can access.
Thank you!
Kathy

Offline Hanan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: STEVENSTON Church history 1700s
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 April 08 16:53 BST (UK) »
Was he minister of this church?

www.highkirk.com
CURRIE & KERR Scotland, Bute, Isle of Arran
ROSS or MUNRO Scotland, Inverness
SUTHERLAND & BUDGE, HAMILTON or GORDON Caithness, Halkirk Area 1700 & 1800's; Lanark 1900’s
MCGRATH or MCGRAW, MCINTYRE, MCWHINNEY, FERGUSON, CAMPBELL, FLANAGAN, WAUGH & THOMSON Ireland
MCGRATH or MCGRAW Wigtown early 1800’s; USA, Taft (CA), Jarbridge (NV) early 1900's
WYLLIE & HIGGINS Scotland, Lanarkshire & Ayrshire

Offline i love paisley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 April 08 18:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Hanan,
I am not sure, all I know is that he was minister of Stevenston church.  Do you know the history of High Kirk?
Thanks!
Kathy

Offline Hanan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 April 08 20:53 BST (UK) »
I don't know much about The High Kirk but i do know it is the parish Church and did exist as a church in 1700's.

There are a few other Churches in Stevenston, was he Church of Scotland?

SUTHERLAND & BUDGE, HAMILTON or GORDON Caithness, Halkirk Area 1700 & 1800's; Lanark 1900’s
MCGRATH or MCGRAW, MCINTYRE, MCWHINNEY, FERGUSON, CAMPBELL, FLANAGAN, WAUGH & THOMSON Ireland
MCGRATH or MCGRAW Wigtown early 1800’s; USA, Taft (CA), Jarbridge (NV) early 1900's

Offline Hanan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 April 08 20:53 BST (UK) »
"High Kirk in its prominent position above the Stevenston Burn was dedicated in 1833. It replaced a church which was built in 1670. That building, which had replaced a still earlier one, was found to be too small for the growing congregation in spite of the addition of an aisle in 1744."

taken from http://www.threetowners.com/Stevenston/stevenston_town_trail.htm

Offline Hanan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 April 08 20:58 BST (UK) »
The Church of 1670
A new church was erected on the site of the previous church in about 1670 and in 1744 Saltcoats parishioners added the Saltcoats Aisle. This church was often used by mariners trading in and out of Saltcoats, and the centre of the three lofts was called the Sailors� loft, the others being the Ardeer and Kerelaw lofts. This loft had a strict order of naval precedence, the front row reserved for captains, the second for mates and the remainder for sailors, while the Harbourmaster was the custodian of the door. Other seats belonged to certain notable families living in the houses of Kerelaw, Ardeer, Seabank, Mayville, Hullerhurst and Hayocks. This church was taken down in 1832.

Offline Hanan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 April 08 21:05 BST (UK) »
Found a link to email the High Kirk http://www.findachurch.co.uk/search/church_view.php?church_id=12398

alternatively contact the Church of Scotland themselves: www.churchofscotland.org.uk

Good luck  :)

Offline i love paisley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 April 08 06:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Hanan,
Thank you so much for getting back to me.  I clicked on the 2day website you gve me, and found my ggggggrandfather's name there.  So he was Church of Scotland, and was minister of Stevenston High Kirk.  it is so nice to have that confirmed.
Now if I could only find out where he was born, and who his parents were!
Thank you again, you have been a great help!
Kathy

Offline Hanan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 April 08 16:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Kathy,

So glad you found what you were looking for.   ;D

Did he die while still minister at the High Kirk?  I know they have some tombs under the Church, perhaps he is buried there? As they are underneath the Church I'm not sure if these are listed on any websites. 

If you think he might be there try contacting the current minister and maybe he can send you a photo?

Try some of the links from this website, you might find some useful stuff: http://www.happyhaggis.co.uk/ayrshire.htm

Hanan