Author Topic: Was a 'Hawker' a 'traveller'?  (Read 13304 times)

Offline L12

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Rachel Hill
    • View Profile
Was a 'Hawker' a 'traveller'?
« on: Thursday 03 April 08 22:51 BST (UK) »
Hello

Please forgive my asking but I had on a marriage certificate the occupation of 'Hawker' appear - I am not sure what this occupation is - the marr cert is 1838.

Can anybody help me?

Liz
Warwickshire: Baskott, Healey, Satchwell, Webb, Perry,
Huntingdonshire: Mayse, Gynn
Norfolk: Morris, Chamberlain
Devon: Lillicrap, Gullett
Leicestershire: Hill, Knibbs, Busby, Hedge, Miller
Northamptonshire: Webb, Jones,

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline honey-roma88

• RootsChat Senior
  • Grandad Cecil
    • View Profile
Re: Was a 'Hawker' a 'traveller'?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 April 08 22:54 BST (UK) »
A hawker was basically someone who sells stuff I think.

A hawker was a job many travellers had but not all hawkers were travellers. What was your ancestors name it may help? :)
Romany/Traveller:
BLACKMAN, BUCKLAND, BURGESS, DIX, DOBSON, FOLEY, GRANT/PARKER, HUNT, JONES, MUNDAY/MONDAY, MORGAN, NOYELL, ORCHARD, PAGE, REED, VINCENT

Jewish:
BRAHAM, FROST, LYONS

French:
HONEYSETT, LEVETT PETTIT

English:
BELSHAW, BETTSWORTH, CANE, COVENTRY, DOBSON, FRY,  NURSE, POOK, PUTLAND, PUTT, SMITH, SNELGROVE, TEE, TUDGAY, VENUS/VENESS

Irish:
ANDERSON, KILLOUGH, MACCORMACK, MACROBERTS, MORTON, MOORE, WALLACE

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline L12

• RootsChat Extra
  • Rachel Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 April 08 23:09 BST (UK) »
The surname was Knibbs, and his address on the marriage certificate was the 'Greyhound Inn'.

It has made such a delightful change from seeing the ever present 'Ag Lab'!

Liz

Offline honey-roma88

• RootsChat Senior
  • Grandad Cecil
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 April 08 23:22 BST (UK) »
Hmm, I don't know of any Knibbs travellers but I have a couple of ancestors who were half-blooded with non-Romani fathers and non-Romani surnames but they lived as gypsies as was their mother's blood.

But just because I don't know of the name doesn't mean he wasn't a traveller, I am not an authority. :)

Is there any other information you can give us such as first name, age, location? Often being able to see him in context on a census can help.

I know what you mean about Ag Labs, I am beginning to form an irrational hatred for farm workers.
Romany/Traveller:
BLACKMAN, BUCKLAND, BURGESS, DIX, DOBSON, FOLEY, GRANT/PARKER, HUNT, JONES, MUNDAY/MONDAY, MORGAN, NOYELL, ORCHARD, PAGE, REED, VINCENT

Jewish:
BRAHAM, FROST, LYONS

French:
HONEYSETT, LEVETT PETTIT

English:
BELSHAW, BETTSWORTH, CANE, COVENTRY, DOBSON, FRY,  NURSE, POOK, PUTLAND, PUTT, SMITH, SNELGROVE, TEE, TUDGAY, VENUS/VENESS

Irish:

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 April 08 08:18 BST (UK) »
Not all Hawkers were travellers. One of my non-romany gggt grandads was listed as a Hawker in 1841. By 1851 he was a postman!

Offline honey-roma88

• RootsChat Senior
  • Grandad Cecil
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 April 08 09:20 BST (UK) »
Not all Hawkers were travellers. One of my non-romany gggt grandads was listed as a Hawker in 1841. By 1851 he was a postman!

I agree, I have non-Romany circus workers as well. Occupations are rarely conclusive evidence of ethnicity.
Romany/Traveller:

Jewish:
BRAHAM, FROST, LYONS

French:
HONEYSETT, LEVETT PETTIT

English:

Irish:

Offline L12

• RootsChat Extra
  • Rachel Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 April 08 10:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your replies, I shall keep researching, it would be lovely to think I had traveller/romany genes somewhere, it would help me deal with the increasing need to go and dig the garden (far too many Ag Labs......)

L12

Offline kizmiaz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 April 08 10:39 BST (UK) »
I have a General Hawker ancestor, and I have been lead to believe that a Hawker was the equivalent of a door-to-door salesman, or possibly the more industrious ones would set up a cart somewhere to sell their wares.

As for Ag Labs, my tree is groaning with them. I was actually quite proud to find that one of my GGG-grandfathers was listed as a 'Scavenger'. I think he was the only ancestor with a proper trade!  ;D

Glen

Offline Indaloman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 April 08 10:42 BST (UK) »
A Hawker was a person licensed to sell goods using a horse to pull or  carry the goods. If they were on foot only then they were Pedlars
Knight (Nottingham & Hants) Hancock, (Kent) , Hancox (Warwickshire), Linneys (Hants) Brothers (Langford, Beds,East London), Bridgers (East London)

Other restorers please feel free to use my work if wished