Author Topic: 25th Reg  (Read 3405 times)

Offline victorialearmonth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 25th Reg
« Reply #18 on: Monday 07 January 19 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi CU

My GGF served in the 25th Regiment in the 1870s. They officially became a Scottish regiment in 1881, when one Scottish regiment became Irish and the 25th was given to Scotland, even then the headquarters was in Carlisle .

In my GGF’s day most of the men were English or Irish, as they spent a lot of time in Ireland. My GGF enlisted in Gosport and married in Ireland. I will be checking the Muster and Pay Lists for the 25th in a few weeks and will look up William Potts for you.

Ken

Hi Ken,

My GGGrandmother Esther McLean married a Timothy Hoolahan in 1863 - he was listed as living at Edinburgh Castle and a Private in 25th Regiment.

I dont think he would have been there for much longer after the marriage as I found a newspaper article for a few months after the marriage.

SHERIFF CRIMINAL COURT - Friday (Before Sheriff Arkley.) Timothy Hoolihan, a private in the 25th Re- giment pleaded guilty to using indecent liberties with a young girl on the public road near Milton Cottages on the 11th ultimo; and was sentenced to 6 months inprisonment.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.