Author Topic: 25th Reg  (Read 4543 times)

Offline victorialearmonth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 25th Reg
« Reply #18 on: Monday 07 January 19 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi CU

My GGF served in the 25th Regiment in the 1870s. They officially became a Scottish regiment in 1881, when one Scottish regiment became Irish and the 25th was given to Scotland, even then the headquarters was in Carlisle .

In my GGF’s day most of the men were English or Irish, as they spent a lot of time in Ireland. My GGF enlisted in Gosport and married in Ireland. I will be checking the Muster and Pay Lists for the 25th in a few weeks and will look up William Potts for you.

Ken

Hi Ken,

My GGGrandmother Esther McLean married a Timothy Hoolahan in 1863 - he was listed as living at Edinburgh Castle and a Private in 25th Regiment.

I dont think he would have been there for much longer after the marriage as I found a newspaper article for a few months after the marriage.

SHERIFF CRIMINAL COURT - Friday (Before Sheriff Arkley.) Timothy Hoolihan, a private in the 25th Re- giment pleaded guilty to using indecent liberties with a young girl on the public road near Milton Cottages on the 11th ultimo; and was sentenced to 6 months inprisonment.