Author Topic: Catholic registrations of birth  (Read 3545 times)

Offline jimmymac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Catholic registrations of birth
« on: Friday 04 April 08 22:57 BST (UK) »
I have several Catholic ancestors born in London between 1837 and 1875 for whom I have not yet found a birth registration. I wonder if anyone else has the same experience? I suspect that it wasn't part of the culture of poor Irish Catholics at that time. I asked Michael Gandy about it; he didn't like this explanation and suggested I look in the local register offices. This would imply that a number of local registrations did not make it into the national indexes. Any comments, anyone?
ASKWITH Lincs
ANGUS London
BAKER Lincs
BARBER London
CAYLEY London
CHAMPION London
COWLAND London and Essex
CLARK London
GULEY London
HILL Wilts and London
McCARTHY London and Cork
VERNON London and Cheshire
WHITE London (lightermen)
WHYTE London and Ireland

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Catholic registrations of birth
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 April 08 23:00 BST (UK) »

Middlesex is famously short on birth ref's 1837-1875.
I don't think it a particularly Catholic thing.
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline jimmymac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 April 08 23:45 BST (UK) »
That's interesting about Middlesex. I have several lines in the county and it's only the Catholics where I have had trouble tracing the births. Is the problem a GRO one or at the local level?
ASKWITH Lincs
ANGUS London
BAKER Lincs
BARBER London
CAYLEY London
CHAMPION London
COWLAND London and Essex
CLARK London
GULEY London
HILL Wilts and London
McCARTHY London and Cork
VERNON London and Cheshire
WHITE London (lightermen)
WHYTE London and Ireland

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 April 08 00:16 BST (UK) »
The rate of non-registration of births was actually quite low, probably about 7% overall in the period 1837-1875, but it was uneven, so it was much worse in the earliest years, and in areas that were either very rural or very overcrowded. A high number of poor migrants such as you find in London would not have helped, and cities like Birmingham and Liverpool had the same kind of problems.

Failure to find an entry is more likely to be the result of too narrow a search, or variations in spelling that you haven't thought of, or good old clerical error. However in this case there seem to be several births that you can't find, so it would be quite some coincidence if they were all the result of clerical errors. I agree with Michael Gandy up to a point (it happens occasionally!); the family may not have had a culture of registering, but it was probably more to do with being poor and Irish than being Catholic.

Mean_genie

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 April 08 01:46 BST (UK) »
jimmymac,

post the names, approximate dates, and other info you have and perhaps someone will assist.

nick
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 April 08 10:15 BST (UK) »
D. V. Glass, A Note on the Under-Registration of Births in Britain in the Nineteenth Century. Population Studies, Vol.5, Part 1 (July 1951), pp.70-88

This quotes the GRO reports of the first Registrar General, Farr, who estimated a 5% non-registration rate for births 1837-76, declining from 6.9% in 1841-50 to 1.8% in 1861-70, and although Farr didn't give his method Glass considers that the estimate should not be dismissed lightly given Farr's skill as a demographer and his intimate knowledge of the registration statistics.
1841-45: 8.2% (not very reliable - could be up to 2% higher)
1846-50: 6.4%
1851-55: 5.1%
1856-60: 3.4%
1861-65: 2.4%
1866-70: 1.6%
1871-75: 1.0%
1876-80: 0.4%

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 April 08 11:16 BST (UK) »
I have Catholic forebears in London who seem to have registered births of their children in the early days of civil reg.  They were middle class. So I agree with mean_genie - probably more to do with being poor and Irish than being Catholic!

(It's Catholic records BEFORE civil reg that are so difficult to find!)

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline Jillie42

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 April 08 14:23 BST (UK) »
I have a Cornelius Harrington who I know from his catholic baptism was born in 1854 but there is no birth registration for him. And his parents were both poor and Irish :-\
Eaton (Woughton on the Green, Doncaster and N. London), Davis(Shinfield and London), Harrington (Ireland and London), Sutcliffe (Todmorden and London), Williams, Hollingsworth (Thaxted), Lane (Rotherhithe), Fuller (Chesterton, Cambs), Dilley (who knows where????)

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 April 08 21:42 BST (UK) »
Stan

Thanks for the figures - do you think we could get them printed on a T-shirt? I knew there was a article on the theme somewhere, but couldn't for the life of me remember which journal or when.

The minute change between 1871-75 and 1876-1880 neatly nails the myth that the 1874 Act made any difference at all to the rate of birth registration.

Mean_genie