Author Topic: McGovern and Berry in Killanny  (Read 11963 times)

Offline Seumasrois

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McGovern and Berry in Killanny
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 September 10 11:52 BST (UK) »
Also connected through this line, via Patrick Berry McGovern & Isabella Hutchinson's daughter Sidney Berrie McGovern.
Patrick seemed to change his name to Peter on moving to Scotland (perhaps to increase his job opportunities?)
I've hunted for several years to try & find out who Patrick McGovern the soldier was but in vain. From the book "The Forlorn Hope" it didn't appear that there were any Regiments still in France in that post-Napoleonic period.
Could it be that he remained there from the time of the occupation hence no discharge papers at Kew?

Jim

Offline JPM90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 21 January 13 00:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
I have been researching this family too. I am a descended from William McGovern through is Daughter Elizabeth. I have a photo of both Elizabeth and Mary - ann Duffy if anyone is interested. I have also recently been sent a letter from an elderly lady insisting the the mcgovern family is related to the duke of wellington and his in our family tree. How would we go about disproving this?
Regards
John

Offline Seumasrois

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 31 January 13 04:41 GMT (UK) »
No need to disprove it! Her assertions on the relationship are not proven.
Seems a very tenouous connection to connect Patrick McGovern the soldier in France to the Duke of Wellington, even though Wellesley was part of the upper class Anglo-Irish ascendancy.
But I'll be pleased if you discover otherwise!  :)

Further to this, I did some online research, and I discovered a Pamela Berry who was born 1912 had the following connections:
Daughter of Captain Lord Richard Wellesley  (being the great grandson of the Duke) and Louise Wellesley
Wife of Major Hon. Denis Gomer Berry
Ex-wife of Lieutenant Charles Robert Archibald Grant
Mother of Richard Gomer Berry, 3rd Viscount Kemsley; Antony GRANT and Louise Grant
Sister of Mary Wellesley
Half sister of Major Richard Wellesley

So it would appear the connection (if any) has to be through the Berry/Berrie line, to call it a relatonship is a wee bit of a stretch though!

Offline JPM90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 31 January 13 12:02 GMT (UK) »
I see, Thanks very much for replying. As I say, the woman who sent me the letter, called me. I asked her that perhaps that it was a confusion between the soldier serving in France and the connection the duke. She was quite certain that her aunt Bridget maintained that he was a relation to our family and the Marlborough family also. I'd love to be able to find a link. She said it was through Bessie so the Berry side could be included. Anyway of proving the relationship to this Denis Gomer Berry?
Regards
John

Offline edward berry

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 14 July 17 12:48 BST (UK) »
Hi My name is Edward berry, My g,g,g,grandfather is also William McGovern , born in France 1823 ?
 This William McGovern married to Alice nee Berry in 1842 at killaray ? co monaghan  I have tried to trace Killaray but to no avail, then you mention Killanny so im no wiser.
  Eddie.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 14 July 17 13:25 BST (UK) »
Hi My name is Edward berry, My g,g,g,grandfather is also William McGovern , born in France 1823 ?
 This William McGovern married to Alice nee Berry in 1842 at killaray ? co monaghan  I have tried to trace Killaray but to no avail, then you mention Killanny so im no wiser.
  Eddie.

https://www.logainm.ie/en/1988  Killanny    ?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 14 July 17 13:33 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.