Author Topic: PM me for MI's Kirkcolm Old Parish Churchyard  (Read 50612 times)

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
Re: MI's Kirkcolm Old Parish Churchyard
« Reply #45 on: Friday 31 July 09 12:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Simon :)

Here we go

Erected by William McDowall in.... memory of his father John McDowall who died 2.. June 18.. aged 76 years
-----------------------------------------------------------

Erected by Robt Monteith in loving memory of his wife Margaret McDowall who died 6th June 1905 aged 66 years. Also the above Robert McDowall who died 29th March 1916 aged 82 years
--------------------------------------------------

The next three are side by side, maybe related

Erected by Alexander McDowall farmer Mid Ervie in loving memory of his beloved wife Annie Douglas who died 1st March 1927 aged 65 years. Also their daughter Annie Douglas who died 7th Feb 1906 aged 7 months. Also the above Alexander McDowall who died at Mid Ervie 17th April 1948 aged 76 years
-------------------------------------------------------

Here lies the corpse of Andrew McDouall late tenant in Merslaugh who departed this life the 4th June aged 47 years. Also the corpse of Jannet McBryde spouse of the above mentioned who departed this life December the 14th 1794 aged 84 years. Interred here Alexander McDowall Stewart Town who died 28th April 1823 aged 77 years. Also Jean McMaster his wife who died 30th April 1829 aged 77 years. Erected by William and Alexander McDoualls
Back of Stone 'Oh let you open unto me the gates of righteousness then will I enter into them and I the Lord will bless' Also Jessie Henry wife of John McDowall who died 20th May 1912 aged (6)4 years. Also the above John McDowall who died 1st Jan 1917 aged 80 years
-----------------------------------------------------

Andrew McDoall late Salchyrie. He died Aprile the 27th 1783 aged 77 years. Also here lies the corpse of Helen Kerr his spouse who died March 1st 1791 aged 79 years. The desire of Andrew McDouall and Jno Johnston. The deceased Margaret Aitken was born 27th April 1747 and died 13th February 18(19). Also her daughter Margaret McDoull born 4th April 178(4) died 1st June 1819. Also Elizabeth McDouall spouse to Charles Hamilton in Challoch Leswalt who died the 29th Octr 1846 aged 71 years. Erected by James and Andrew McDoualls his sons.
Back of stone.  Interred on front of this stone Andrew McDowall late farmer in Cairnwell who departed this life 13th June 1835 aged 87 years. Also Mary McDowall his daughter and wife of Abraham Bark farmer Cairnwell Stoneykirk who died 19th December 1950 aged 58 years.

Plenty info there, hope some of it is of use to you. See the spelling of McDowall changes even on the same stone.

Strangely my next door neighbour is a McDowall, originally from Lanarkshire,  I remember many years ago he showed me a tree his cousin had done and his McDowalls were from  Wigtownshire, can't remember where though.

Terry
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Brothers & cousins to Thomas (Both KIA same day)
Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

George Lowden Borthwick 1899 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 19 Royal Scots Fusiliers

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright  GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline sgrollitt

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 31 July 09 15:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much Terry.

My partner's McDowalls left Wigtownshire, briefly via Glasgow, and ended up in Liverpool. They could be related to your next-door-neighbour!

Have a fantastic weekend :)

Offline jannic

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 11 November 10 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Terry,

I'd like to take advantage of your kind offer and ask if there are any McTeir's, (McTear) or Olivers?

Many thanks
Jan
STALLWOOD
SCREEN
SHINGLETON
STADDON
NORTHOVER

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 11 November 10 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan,

No Olivers and one McTier:-

IMO James McIntyre late tenant in North Park who departed this life Jany 27th 1817 aged 84. Also Elizabeth Ross his spouse who died June 4th 1777 aged 38 years. Charles McIntyre died in North Park 11th June 1834 aged 60 years. Grace Kerr his spouse died in Cairnryan 20th Sept 1859 aged 72 years. Elizabeth McIntyre their daughter died in North Park 3rd Decr 1836 aged 12 years.

On back of stone.

This burial ground contains 6 graves on the East side and 5 on the West side.  IMO James McTier in Auchnill who died 15th Feby 1799 aged 67 years. Also his brother Andrew McTier who died 27th Feby 1801 aged 69 years. Also Meron McCredy wife to James McTier who departed this life 18th Jany 1809 aged 72 years.

Hope this helps.

Terry
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Offline jannic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 11 November 10 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to you Terry for your prompt reply.

I'm suprized at how old the grave is, I had suspected that the family had lived in the area for generations, this appears to confirm that.  Unfortunately my tree hasn't gone that for back yet! So I will print off the infomation and hope that it slots into place soon.

All the best to you
Jan
STALLWOOD
SCREEN
SHINGLETON
STADDON
NORTHOVER

Offline Rachire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 18 December 10 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Interested in the mention of the McTeir family in the wigtownshire area, I have been tracing the family back on my fathers side 6 gen and reached as far back as 1871 with a date for a James McTeir born 1871 married to a Maggie Smith born 1871.
James McTeir's Father was John McTeir married to Elizabeth McCubbing but don't have any dates.
I would love it if someone could link them back to the brothers James and Andrew McTeir born 1732 buried in the Kirkcolm Old Parish Churchyard.
I found this all very interesting and appreciate any help that anyone can give.
My Father was George Smith McTeir one of eighteen of the McTeirs of Tweedhopefoot. will post a picture later.

Offline greenfarmer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 14 March 11 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Looking for James Mcculloch (1711-1794) presbyterian minister of Kirkcolm 1744-1794,married Elizabeth Kyle in 1748 & had issue,one of whom married a "Craw" who had a daughter-Elizabeth Mcculloch Craw b.1791.d.Quebec 1928.
I know from "Fasti ecclisiae scoticanae" that James McCulloch's first ministry was in Moneyreagh Ireland which may point to the fact that he was born in Ireland.
His G'daughter Elizabeth,married Edward Black also  a presbyt. minister(Penninghame)who emigrated with her to Canada abt.1822 and founded St.Pauls Church Montreal after helping at St.Gabriel's Montreal.
The above James McCulloch was descended from "the McCulloch of Myrtoune"-he may have even had the title.
His G'grandaughter,Elizabeth McCulloch Craw Black married John Greenshields and she used headed writing paper with the appropriate McCulloch authority.See picture.
Would be grateful for any info. on the above mentioned.

Offline Jessie 46

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 14 March 11 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
      Grateful if you would look up and see if there are any  Smalls, McGhies and Coulters in your MI's for Kirkcolm and Inch

Thank you

Jessie

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 14 March 11 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Greenfarmer,

There are 3 McCulloch MI's but none for the above...sorry.

Terry