Author Topic: PM me for MI's Kirkcolm Old Parish Churchyard  (Read 50664 times)

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
Re: MI's Kirkcolm Old Parish Churchyard
« Reply #81 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 10:02 BST (UK) »
I totally agree with you Terry, no criticism implied other than to suggest that I think sources should be quoted when offering lookups.
Like you I often offer assistance to fellow amateur genealogists.  I admire and applaud your skills and the skills of others who freely offer their services restoring old photos in that particular forum. 
Regarding Wigtownshire MIs-- It may be of general interest to others here to know that DGFHS are currently publishing the Birchman surveys of Wigtownshire graveyards. 
The Birchmans were tragically killed in a road accident a number of years back and their many excellent surveys were available only as typed manuscripts in a small number of local D&G libraries.   DGFHS recently obtained permission from the copyright holders of the surveys and are now publishing them.  Like most of their recent publications DGFHS are using very low cost printing methods. The aim being to achieve the widest possible availability to Family Historians.
Sy
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie
in Kinneff, Bervie, Benholm & St. Cyrus Parishes

Offline Cjeff

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Tuesday 20 September 11 14:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Terry

Would you please search your M.I. records for Templeton.

Many thanks

CJ
Potts of Walker / Wallsend and Lanercost Cumberland

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Tuesday 20 September 11 22:51 BST (UK) »
Hi CJ,

Sorry there are no Templetons in the books I have.

Terry
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Brothers & cousins to Thomas (Both KIA same day)
Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

George Lowden Borthwick 1899 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 19 Royal Scots Fusiliers

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright  GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
TEMPLETON MIs
« Reply #84 on: Wednesday 21 September 11 13:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Cjef,
Terry is right there are none in Kirkcolm but a neighbouring parish, Ervie Kirkcolm has 9.
From your posts can I gather that you are interested in TEMPLETONs from anywhere in DG.
In the whole of Dumfries and Galloway there are about 70 gravestones I know of listing a Templeton.
As a DGFHS volunteer I manage their MIs database.  I would need an email address to post an attachment to.  DON'T Post it here or in any of threads where you have posted your query. Use the personal message facility to send me an email address that accepts attachments and I'll send you all we have.  I'll send the 9 in a personal message.
Cheers,
Sy
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie

Offline JJEvans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: PM me for MI's Kirkcolm Old Parish Churchyard
« Reply #85 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 22:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Terry,
Is it possible for you to do a look up in Kirkcolm for me for any Craigs?
I believe there was an Alexander Craig who died in 1871 who left a will so I'm guessing he would have had a memorial. There were also a few children who died young. His wife was Jane/Janet Kerr who also died before him. Any info very gratefully received.
Thanks.

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There is only 1 Craig in the Kirkcolm Old Parish Churchyard.

Archibald Kain IMO his mother Elizabeth Craig d 5/10/1869 83 years. Also Archibald  d 27/7/1880 66 years.

Terry
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Brothers & cousins to Thomas (Both KIA same day)
Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

George Lowden Borthwick 1899 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 19 Royal Scots Fusiliers

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright  GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Thursday 26 April 12 15:25 BST (UK) »
This may not be your Alexander Craig and Janet Kerr, but this MI may be of interest.
The inscription is from the United Presbyterian Graveyard in Stranraer.
The stone would seem to be badly weathered -- the inscription has gaps in it.

Erected [----------] Alexander CRAIG, Farmer in Bine, Kirkcolm

In Memory of
Agnes KERR his wife, [---] died Nov [3d] [1]826 ag[ed] 3[2] years
[--------]oth[--] Margt McCULLY, who died July 29th 1834 aged 69 years
Also Peter CRAIG his son, who died [-----------] 1869 aged 23 years
Also the erector of this stone, Alexander CRAIG, who died 11th May 1[87-] aged [--] years
Also his wife Jane McCLURE, who died 187[-] aged [--] years
[-------------] Margaret [---------ter] [----------] wife [---] Stratt-n [-----] London, [----] who died [-----------] aged [------]
John CRAIG, son, died [--] July 18[-]4 aged 7[3] years

Sy
Had to revise this -- got the graveyard wrong first time !

Offline JJEvans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Thursday 26 April 12 21:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Johnner & Terry,
Thanks for checking Kirkcolm for me Terry, I don't think Elizabeth is mine though she was certainly there at the same time.
Johnner, this one is definately mine although it seems I've got Alexander's wives slightly confused! Do you think the stone would still exist in Stranraer as I'm thinking of making the trek to see the area? I'm slightly confused though as to why Alexander, despite living in Kirkcolm chose to be buried at Stranraer, any thoughts? Would it be to do with the denomination of the church? I'm wondering if it would be worth checking the parish registers of this church if they exist for more details of his family.
Thanks again.

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Friday 27 April 12 09:28 BST (UK) »
UNITED PRESBYTERIAN Graveyard entrance is in Thistle Street Stranraer.
The graveyard was surveyed by a team of DGFHS members in 2000.
The DGFHS MI booklet is still available by mail order from www.dgfhs.org.uk see: http://www.dgfhs.org.uk/userfiles/file/MEMORIAL%20INSCRIPTIONS%20LISTupdated%2016%20April%202012.pdf 
I would guess that the stone is still there, but after a further 12 years I can't say how readable it now is.
If you intend to visit the area I suggest you call at the Stranraer library. 
They hold copies of the surviving OPRs and church records.
The local DGFHS members group meet there regularly.

Regards,
Sy