Author Topic: Right, that's it - I need new glasses  (Read 2137 times)

Offline bwgan ceredig

• RootsChat Senior
  • They can 'do' 20 generations each!
    • View Profile
Right, that's it - I need new glasses
« on: Sunday 06 April 08 15:48 BST (UK) »
It must be that because the alternative means my subconcious has some really wierd freudian slips.

Whilst reading various census pages I have been horrified at the descriptions/jobs.  Even for such unenlightened times I thought describing someone as a 'mad labourer' was harsh...until I realised it was road labourer  :-[

But 'child poisoner'...how on earth...oh, Chelsea pensioner  :-X

Whilst reading registers just now came across the name Alien Smart...doh...ALLEN  ::)

Please tell me it's not just me...it is?...oh...I'll fetch me coat  :-[ ;D
Stiff - Monmouthshire & Glos, Parry - Monmouthshire
Stafford - Glos, Liles - Glos, Bright- Glos, Webb - Monmouthshire & Glos, Smart - Glos, Smith - Glos
Sullivan - Ireland, Jones (oh dear! Almost as bad as Smith), Walker - Somerset, Llewellyn
And, no don't laugh...Crump...I think it's great!

And of course, if I ever do manage to do a successful look up it is crown copyright and all that legal stuff!

Seriously Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
Re: Right, that's it - I need new glasses
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 April 08 18:18 BST (UK) »
ROFL, child poisoner!!  ;D ;D
 "My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 April 08 18:33 BST (UK) »
You and me both, bwgan.

I went for my usual walk today, where a little black and white cat usually comes up to me and I stroke him/her for a bit.

Saw the cat sitting 100m away, and was surprised that s/he did not come up to me. Until I continued on and stood right by the black plastic bag with bits of snow on it...  ::)

Didn't go to Specsavers!

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 7igerby7he7ail

• RootsChat Member
  • Where are they?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 April 08 22:36 BST (UK) »
Thought, I needed my glasses when I thought I found a record for 'Adolf Hitler. Fuhrer' then after MUCH magnification realised it was Albert Hiller, Farrier.

Tree
GAUNT N Staffordshire,GAUNT Manchester.GUY,Shropshire, BARTLEY,Salford, Lancs, NEVILLE,Salford. PHILLIPS,Staffs, MAYER,Staffs,COSSAR,Berwick, E and Mid Lothian and Argyll. HIGGINS,Glasgowand Dunoon,Argyll.GALLAGHER,Argyll,IRISH,Herts.

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 April 08 22:43 BST (UK) »
me too ROFL   -   haven't laughed so much since the 'mushy pea'  thread.   ;D ;D
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline bwgan ceredig

• RootsChat Senior
  • They can 'do' 20 generations each!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 April 08 23:17 BST (UK) »
Thought, I needed my glasses when I thought I found a record for 'Adolf Hitler. Fuhrer' then after MUCH magnification realised it was Albert Hiller, Farrier.

;D ;D ;D

ROFL

Thank you all I feel much better!
Stiff - Monmouthshire & Glos, Parry - Monmouthshire
Stafford - Glos, Liles - Glos, Bright- Glos, Webb - Monmouthshire & Glos, Smart - Glos, Smith - Glos
Sullivan - Ireland, Jones (oh dear! Almost as bad as Smith), Walker - Somerset, Llewellyn
And, no don't laugh...Crump...I think it's great!

And of course, if I ever do manage to do a successful look up it is crown copyright and all that legal stuff!

Seriously Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mogsmum

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 April 08 15:43 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D

Although slightly off-topic, if you think you need new specs, then this will gladden your heart ...

At the age of 6 our daughter had perfectly good vision (I knew that because two days previously she'd had her eyes tested).   T'was the school summer holidays, so, being a nice day we took her to the beach and, later went for a walk along the prom.

Because Daddy stopped every few yards to scan the horizon through his binoculars, he was soon left well behind, until I couldn't actually see him at all - with or without me specs - but the 6 year old could and having the younger, sharper eyes I was daft enough to believe her.   So, we turned around, retraced our steps and walked for what must have been well over žmile, until it finally became obvious that 'Daddy' was none other than one of those giant plastic ice-cream cones!

From this we learnt a couple of valuable lessons: (1) be very careful which Optician you pick for your child and, (2) if you do happen to have grey hair by the time you're 38, do not wear beige trousers and/or stand still for very long - you may find 6 year-olds mistake you for an ice-cream.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 April 08 16:06 BST (UK) »
More than once I have spent valuable time trying to identify a particularly interesting bird only to discover that it is actually an old carrier bag......

Jennifer
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 April 08 17:22 BST (UK) »
Been there, done that... it's white with tan markings... yes, it's a carrier pigeon - a Sainsbury's carrier pigeon!  ::)

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk