Author Topic: Southfield Maternity Home, Bowden  (Read 17340 times)

Offline stitchwitch

• RootsChat Member
  • Creature of impulse with dodgy improbability drive
    • View Profile
Re: Southfield Maternity Home, Bowden
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 12 March 17 00:02 GMT (UK) »
PS An old school friend now runs their family undertakers' business. I'll as her at some point.
Powell Barber Dyke Overton
Heywood Crimes Parsonage Hargrave Sheard Wild

Madness is hereditary, you get it from your children!

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 12 March 17 09:45 GMT (UK) »
When you worked as a midwife, how did you know how the babies were disposed of once collected from the mortuary?

It is what I was told and I know for a fact that when I worked as a midwife in the 1970s, parents were not given the opportunity to cuddle their stillborn babies - even if they were at full term - the bodies were just collected by porters and taken to the mortuary.  If they were not buried in adult coffins as I was told, then the other option is even worse.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 12 March 17 09:52 GMT (UK) »
By the way other things happened frequently but no-one believed me until someone went to the police.  If you look for Dr Leonard Arthur on google you'll see what I mean.  This was just the tip of the iceberg and Dr Arthur was acquitted. 

Offline PaulConnolly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 15 April 23 16:24 BST (UK) »
I was born in Southfields in 1971, it was a difficult birth I believe and have no other info, I would like to find out more if anyone can help, I was given for adoption so don’t know how long I was there, I do know that I was taken to Nazareth house Birkenhead also run by catholic nuns.

Offline Tomps

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 19 September 23 09:09 BST (UK) »
Hi just saw your post re southfields - I was also born there and adopted from Nazareth house. I visited both buildings this summer and took photos which I’m happy to share with you if you’re interested. A lot of the buildings are unchanged from when we were there. Best wishes, Lisa

Offline PaulConnolly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 19 September 23 13:35 BST (UK) »
Hi, thank you that would be really nice!

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 24 September 23 16:24 BST (UK) »
I was born in Southfields in 1971, it was a difficult birth I believe and have no other info, I would like to find out more if anyone can help, I was given for adoption so don’t know how long I was there, I do know that I was taken to Nazareth house Birkenhead also run by catholic nuns.

That might explain why there were nuns working in Southfields when I had one of my children there in November 1968.  Prior to that when my other children were born at Southfields there were never any nuns.  I have to say they were not very kind to the mothers and the first time mums were quite frightened of them (even though they weren't single mums giving up their babies for adoption).  They tried to intimidate me, but being an experienced mum, and also the matron was a friend of my mum, I wasn't bothered by them and argued back, telling them as I had 4 children, I probably knew more about looking after babies than they did!!!

Not sure how difficult a "difficult birth" would have been (maybe your birth mum just thought it was) as from what I saw when I was a patient there, any difficult births were sent to Wythenshawe hospital.  It's possible, unless the patients needed a caesarean section, that they were sent back to Southfields after delivery.

Offline Tomps

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 24 September 23 21:32 BST (UK) »
That’s really interesting about the nuns - what were they trying to intimidate you about ? What did you need to argue about ? I’m intrigued ! And disappointed they were there and being unkind to young women at their most vulnerable.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 26 September 23 12:12 BST (UK) »
I think they were used to intimidating people, but most of the patients were married women having babies and probably not Roman Catholic - it wasn't a Catholic nursing home, although the Matron was Roman Catholic.  However, they seemed not to understand that women who have just had babies can be quite hormonal and get upset easily, so the nuns would get annoyed when some of the women got upset at how they were being spoken to, which was not how the other midwives would behave.  On the other hand, having already had children, I wasn't about to put up with them trying to talk down to me which, naturally, they didn't like.

I needed to argue with them about the fact that I knew more about looking after babies, having already had 3 before the one I had in 1968 - as well as having numerous foster children.  They weren't happy as they only had book knowledge and thought their way was the best way.  In those days, the babies didn't stay with the mums, they were brought to them every four hours for feeding and a cuddle, then taken back to the nursery (where the midwives would weigh them before and after feeding if they were breast fed to ensure they'd had enough milk and if not they were topped up with bottled milk), then the babies were changed and put in their cots for the next 4 hours.  So when they brought my baby to me, having already breastfed 3 others, I knew exactly how to do it, how to get comfortable in bed etc. which was not the way the books showed.  Also if the babies were being bottled fed, then the nuns would berate the women for not breast feeding, whether it was just by choice, or the fact that some mums just couldn't breast feed.