Author Topic: cuckoo in my family tree  (Read 1735 times)

Offline yorkshire_loyal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
cuckoo in my family tree
« on: Monday 07 April 08 06:42 BST (UK) »
Hello ,I have spent a long time trying to trace my grandfather,but due to constant searching I have now traced him,the problem was I was searching in the wrong country,he was Canadien born ,but died in USA.

But on my long search I came across a cuckoo in the family nest,a distant relative of my grandfather came into possesion of my grandfathers WW1 war medals,some family photographs and letters,well by the time I came across this distant relative,he had passed on the family medals and photographs and letters to a woman who claimed my grandfather was her grandfather ,but she gave a completely different name and birthplace. :o

My grandfather was George Rosebush,born in  Ontario,he had two brothers Joseph and Jacob,she said her grandfather was fredrick Rosebush born in Quebec,so I know she has the wrong family.

Anyway to cut a long story short I have contacted this woman ,and said I believe she has the wrong family,I said look I am not asking for the medals ,all I am asking is could you please let me have copies of my grandfathers photographs and letters,but up to now she is ignoring me ,I just wondered had anyone else come across anything like this in their family??? ???

Also I am seeking any information on George`s family ,Marriage or deaths or children if possible........................................

George`s brothers and sisters..............
Hannah  22 oct 1879 died???
Jacob Alvin   18 feb 1885,died???????
 married a Maud Hilda from Sandgate,Kent,England,on dec 12 1926 they had twins one of who was stillborn,in 1926 Alvin lived at 115 Augusta ave ,Toronto.

Joseph  16 sept 1885 died ?????
Arvilla  29 march1896 died?????
Gertie  29 aug 1888, married Kingsley O brian in 1924?children?????

Allena 24 june 1882,married Henry Letts,7 sept 1900 in Sterling ONT,they had one daughter Pearl Letts who married Fredrick Aurther Smith 3 nov 1920.children???????

George Rosebush 1880 died oct 1965 in Michigan my grandad,he married Annie I dont know her last name?dont know when, they had three children all born in Minnisota........
Arvilla 1911??????
Ruby 15 may  1913,died 17 july 2006 calif
George Aug 25 1915, died june 1975 calif.

George Rosebush born 1880,his mother Hannah (Cronk)Rosebush died in 1932 at 533a Bloor St west,her daughter was at the time Mrs Carson,but I dont know which daughter she was ,if she was Arvilla or Hannah?

Sorry for asking so many questions,but I dont have access to Ancestry,and also live in UK and also mods please forgive me if I have posted in the wrong part of the forum  :-[

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: cuckoo in my family tree
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 April 08 07:59 BST (UK) »
Hello there Yorkshire and Welcome to Rootschat.

I have searched FREE BMD and there is only one person here with the surname Rosebush,an Annie born in Mile End in 1910.

I think all your questions would be best directed to someone on the Canadian message boards,although I'm not sure what records are available over there?

Hopefully a mod will move this there for you.

Regards

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 April 08 09:49 BST (UK) »
Welcome -

You didn't say what info you have, but here is a start, and it gives some different dates than what you list (e.g. your gpa born 1875).  This is from the 1901 Belleville, Hastings, Ontario census:

35   57 Rosebush George M   Head M Mar 27 1849 52   

36   57 Rosebush Hannah F   Wife M Sep 5 1857 53   

37   57 Rosebush George W M   Son S Apr 12 1875 26   

38   57 Rosebush Hannah M F   Daughter S Oct 22 1879 22   

39   57 Rosebush Jacob A M   Son S Feb 18 1880 20   

40   57 Rosebush Joseph W M   Son S Sep 16 1885 16   

41   57 Rosebush Gertie F   Daughter S Aug 29 1888 13   

42   57 Rosebush Arvida F   Daughter S Mar 29 1896 4   

43   57 Rosebush Allena F   Daughter S Jun 24 1882 19

This can be found at http://automatedgenealogy.com/census/View.jsp?id=54621

and there are some data corrections from last August done by an "Anna Wood".

I find it interesting that in 1910 he may be living in the small town of Fergus Falls, Minnesota where my grandfather's brother died in 1912.  Did he then go back and join Canadian Army?

At this time it says he is 32 and born in Michigan... with 25 yr old wife and 2 daus.  OOPS!  This could be wrong guy:  Altho he is George W. married to Annie, his 2 daus are Gertrude and Helen.

Hope this helps.

Nick
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 April 08 10:33 BST (UK) »
Here is Alvin(Jacob)'s WW1 info

http://www.rootschat.com/links/035h/

And George's

http://www.rootschat.com/links/035i/

It shows that he was married to Annie by 1915.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline yorkshire_loyal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 April 08 14:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Carol
 thank you so much for the information and links,afraid the Annie  born in 1910 would be far too young to be married to george ,because they had children born in 1913,and also thank you for the WW1 links.

Hello Nick,
thank you so much for all your information ,yes the data on the census is different,it was me who changed the data ,because I knew I had the right family,I knew Arvida should read Arvilla,George`s baby sister.

On George`s  attestation papers it says he was age 36 and 8 months,and his date of birth was 1879,on some records it says he was born in Sterling ,Ontario,whilst others say Michigan USA,so untill I am able to see his birth certificate ,I am unable to verify his place of birth.

The George and Annie you mention ,are most likely him and his wife,as I believe his wife was born in Minnisota as were their 3 children ,but what I am interested in is are there still any living relatives in Canada USA? to whom I would be related to?.

I am not seeking any financial gain,just family links and roots ,hence the reason I said to the woman who claimed my Grandfathers medals,I would just love to see the evidence she has of photographs and letters ,she was obviously so keen to get her hands on the medals,she says on a message board Quote" I would just love to have those medals in my possesion" she never even mentioned the photographs and letters,which I know were passed on to her along with the medals.

Thank you once again so much  for your help,
anna

Offline Microfish7

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 22:54 BST (UK) »
Dear Yorkshire,

In 1899 my great-great-grandparents, Leonard Haddon Taylor and Sarah Eliza Carter lived at 115 Augusta Ave in Toronto, with at least one of their daughters.

Al(vin) Dawson

Moderator comment: e-mail address removed t prevent spam and other abuse.  Please use the personal message system to exchange e-mail addresses.  Thanks.