Author Topic: Elusive BROWN family from Ireland  (Read 7015 times)

Offline acooper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elusive BROWN family from Ireland
« on: Monday 07 April 08 16:01 BST (UK) »
I have a Brown family who emigrated from somewhere in Ireland to New York between 1849 and 1852.   All the siblings emigrated but there is no record of the parents: JOSEPH BROWN & ELLA CARR joining the children in New York.

We have some information on the point of entry, and census records once the siblings were settled in New York, but all we know is that they were from Ireland.  Later census records indicate that they were from Northern Ireland. We know they were farmers and skilled workers (masons) in America. Presumably the family had been farmers in Ireland. 

Brown is such a common name so I have done searches on both surname BROWN and CARR to see where they simultaneously occurred. So far I have come up with northern counties such as Antrim and Down as possiblities.

I suspect the family were Ulster Scots as there is no mention of the Catholic Church in any records.

Any ideas where to search next?   
GREEN, SKELLY, SHERIDAN of Virginia, Co. Cavan.
BROWN, CARR. (thought to be Presbyerians from Northern Ireland)
COOPER, perhaps from Ulster?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elusive BROWN family from Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 April 08 16:17 BST (UK) »
Brown and Carr/Kerr are also found in County Londonderry.
Do any of the children that went to America have a place of birth on their death certificates to give a clue as to a place in Ireland?
Since Joseph and Ella married before the start of civil registration you need to search for church records (if they still exist) but to do so you need to know their religion and where they lived (at least parish if not actual townland).
Any other clues like families the children married into, etc.?
If you post the names and approx. birthdates of the children it might help.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline acooper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 April 08 08:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. Below is the information known about the Brown family from Ireland. They did not emigrate all at once but came over one, perhaps two at a time.

Children of Joseph Brown and Ella Carr:

Joseph Brown, born Sept 3, 1819

William J. Brown, born May 1823

Robert Brown, born March 1825

Isabelle Brown, born August 1834

Charles Brown, born April 1836

Samuel Brown, born about 1842

Thomas Brown, born October 1843 (my ancestor)

Joseph Brown
It is believed that eldest child Joseph Brown and his family emigrated to the United States onboard the ship Conrad, arriving in New York on May 29, 1849 from Greenock.  Joseph is listed as a 30 year old farmer, Ann as his 26 year old wife, and Mary as his infant daughter, age .03.  Anne Rolison, wife of Joseph Brown, was born November 1818 in Ireland. The "Naturalization Records for Delaware County" (prepared by the Delaware County Clerk's Office) lists a Joseph Brown, age 31 at the time he was sworn in on June 20th, 1855.  He reported that he emigrated in 1849 from Glasgow, that his birthplace was Ireland, and that his current residence was Colchester NY.

William J Brown
William J. Brown married Jane Davis, sister of Sarah Davis who married Robert Brown.

Robert Brown
Robert Brown was born March 1825 and died May 10, 1906; wife Sarah Davis Brown was born March 1840 and died January 4, 1906

Isabelle Brown married a Charles Townsend, who may have emigrated from Ireland about the same time.

Charles and Samuel Brown. No record of marriages although it is reported that Sam married and had a son. No documentation of that.

Thomas Brown married Nancy Minerva Andress, an American. He served in the Civil War.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 April 08 11:36 BST (UK) »
You have lots of information on the family once they reached America but finding where they came from in Ireland will be the difficult bit without a place to start looking.

"Robert Brown was born March 1825 and died May 10, 1906"- does his death certificate list a place of birth? or just Ireland?

One thing that bothers me is the mother's name- Ella Carr. Ella wasn't really a popular girls name until later in 1800s- keep in mind she could be Eliza, Elizabeth, Betty, Betsy, or even Ellen rather than Ella in Irish records.

Did all the children settle in the same area? Have you tried looking for local histories of the area which might mention where they came from? (very popular around 1900 and while sometimes inaccurate there can be clues). What about newspaper obituaries/write-ups when they died? I suspect any clues will be found in the U.S.

Offline acooper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 April 08 14:58 BST (UK) »
Your're right and that is what I'm trying to do now - obtain death records. I haven't found any obituaries yet.

So far all records I've seen just say "Ireland" as where the family is from, except on one later US census which said "No. Ireland" , Given that the names in the family: Brown, Carr, Townsend, Davis, appear to sound more Scots or English I revised my search to the northern counties.

As for Ella Carr's name: The only daughter is named Isabella so I suspect she was named after her mother. Of course, Ella was a shortened name for several of those listed.

I'm also hoping I can locate a distant cousin in a direct line that would be willing to do dna testing which might indicate what region/family group the dna was connected to.

Well, thanks for your interest and repsonse - the search continues!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 April 08 15:56 BST (UK) »
If you get any more leads let us know.

Offline WILLIAM 1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 December 19 10:10 GMT (UK) »
I am a brown and I am looking for any information if you could help I got told Robert brown and wife Esther born slacks grove monaghan Ireland and there 8 kids all born the same place then imigrated to guernsey co ohio as Robert died there before 1823. I am looking to find out how do I find how they immigrated and where from and what ship where did they leave from and where did they land I have nothing at all to tell me that this is my ggggrandparents the only like I have and other people have told me that this is my ggggrandparets is one of there kids
we have
Isabella brown born 15/03/1790 Ireland
Samuel brown born 19/12/1804 Ireland
Andrew brown born 08/03/1805 Ireland
Robert brown born 26/10/1809 Ireland
william brown born 1811 Ireland
Isabella brown born 1814 Ireland
james brown born 1812 Ireland
joseph brown born 1821 Ireland

now joseph brown he married Margaret Caskie in Girvan Scotland  ( m ) 24/02/1851 and I have them right up to today as I am here lol

and I have Isabella brown getting married in gurnsey co ohio ( m ) 26/07/1815 so as you can see there is something wrong somewhere if she got married in 1815 and her brother was born in Ireland 1821

so that is why I would love to get the passenger list to see when they went to the usa and if all the family went
brown family mcclinton (and variants), mcfarlane, buchanan,murray,caskie(and variants) hay family. mcpherson family.mckenzie.whiteside.nichol

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 December 19 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. Below is the information known about the Brown family from Ireland. They did not emigrate all at once but came over one, perhaps two at a time.

Children of Joseph Brown and Ella Carr:

Joseph Brown, born Sept 3, 1819

William J. Brown, born May 1823

Robert Brown, born March 1825

Isabelle Brown, born August 1834

Charles Brown, born April 1836

Samuel Brown, born about 1842

Thomas Brown, born October 1843 (my ancestor)

Joseph Brown
It is believed that eldest child Joseph Brown and his family emigrated to the United States onboard the ship Conrad, arriving in New York on May 29, 1849 from Greenock.  Joseph is listed as a 30 year old farmer, Ann as his 26 year old wife, and Mary as his infant daughter, age .03.  Anne Rolison, wife of Joseph Brown, was born November 1818 in Ireland. The "Naturalization Records for Delaware County" (prepared by the Delaware County Clerk's Office) lists a Joseph Brown, age 31 at the time he was sworn in on June 20th, 1855.  He reported that he emigrated in 1849 from Glasgow, that his birthplace was Ireland, and that his current residence was Colchester NY.

William J Brown
William J. Brown married Jane Davis, sister of Sarah Davis who married Robert Brown.

Robert Brown
Robert Brown was born March 1825 and died May 10, 1906; wife Sarah Davis Brown was born March 1840 and died January 4, 1906

Isabelle Brown married a Charles Townsend, who may have emigrated from Ireland about the same time.

Charles and Samuel Brown. No record of marriages although it is reported that Sam married and had a son. No documentation of that.

Thomas Brown married Nancy Minerva Andress, an American. He served in the Civil War.

Have you got any updates on this family.  Noticed you have'nt been online since 2010 but more and more records do become available over the years ?

Perhaps some obituaries might turn up to help  ???

Was this Joseph Brown and his family.

Colchester, Delaware, New York 1875

Joseph Brown   53 born Ireland.
Anna Brown   54 born Ireland.
Isabella Brown   22 born New York
Ann Brown   18 born New York.
Margaret Brown   15 born New York.

Colchester, Delaware, New York 1880

Joseph Brown   57 born Ireland. Farmer. Parents both born Ireland.
Ann Brown   59
Amna Brown   22 born NY
Maggie Brown   19 born NY
Samuel Brown   38 born Ireland. Brother. Single. Works on farm.
James F. Brown   4 born New York. Grandson.

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 December 19 10:38 GMT (UK) »

FIND A GRAVE

Joseph Brown.

Paige Cemetery Downsville, Delaware County, New York.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/97727138

Ann Rullison Brown died 1900

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/97727163/anna-brown

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada