Author Topic: GGGrandfather Rev William Pasley  (Read 17199 times)

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GGGrandfather Rev William Pasley
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 April 12 13:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette. Wondering if you have come across the surnames Gore or Shudall in your research into the Wilson family of Co. Wexford?
Katharine.

Offline TONYNIC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 May 15 23:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette
I'm a retired academic historian who is currently researching the 'Langworthy Marriage' for a projected book and thought we might share information. By the sound of it, you already have the full story? If not, I'm more than happy to share my material (i.e. the full text, accompanying newspaper reports and wider information about W.T. Stead, the late-Victorian journalist who championed Mildred's case and wrote the story in the Pall Mall Gazette.)
For my part, I'm keen to explore Mildred's family history and hope you might be able to help me? You mention, for example, that you have a photo of her mother, who played an active role in the drama, and letters from her brothers who emigrated to Australia.I would like to write an early chapter on her family background in Ireland.
There are two sequels to the main story that you may not have come across.
Firstly, eleven years after winning her case against Langworthy and receiving record damages, Mildred and her daughter, Gladys, turned up in Paris with Langworthy himself! There was lots of speculation at the time that they had somehow reconciled but Stead thought that Mildred was lured there by Langworthy who wrote telling her he was ill and asking her to join him. It was 1898. They booked into the Grand Hotel and were seen together. Then their daughter was sent back to England and shortly afterwards, Mildred was found dead in Langworthy's bed. Her body was spirited away and cremated, leaving something of a mystery surrounding her death, and as soon as her body left the bedroom, Langworthy took out a pistol and shot himself. It's very melodramatic.   
Secondly, Gladys, their daughter, was looked after by her grandparents, Elizabeth and William Long, and in 1906, married Charles Richard Molesworth, 10th Viscount Molesworth of Swords. I'm hoping to make contact with her descendants to see if they have any records and would of course share them with you, should I get permission.
But in the meantime, can we collaborate on piecing together her family history in Ireland?
Hoping you can help,
Tony Nicholson

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 02 May 15 08:50 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 02 May 15 09:14 BST (UK) »

Offline TONYNIC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 02 May 15 09:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this. It's a good example of how the Langworthy Marriage went global. It was translated into several languages, including Spanish, which meant that versions of the story appeared in Argentina where Langworthy owned vast estates and thought himself secure from attack. He wasn't. At one stage, he was hissed as he stood on a railway platform in Buenos Aires and Stead always counted this one of his finest achievements. But the story was particular big in the English Empire, including Australia and New Zealand, and this is a fascinating example of how it set people talking and making connections, just as it did in the Long family. Aren't online newspaper archives fantastic. 

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 02 May 15 11:37 BST (UK) »
E1. Katherine Palliser, of the Great Island, Co. Wexford, Md., John Wilson, of Scarr.
F1. Christian Wilson, of Scarr, Md., Elizabeth Redmond, d. of Matthew Redmond, of Kilgowen, Co. Wexford.
G1. John Wilson.
G2. Matthew Wilson (later Palliser), of the Great Island, Co. Wexford, Md. 1812, Jane Wilson, d. of Christian Wilson, of Sledagh.

http://www.william1.co.uk/w134.htm

Interesting that Wilson of Wexford has a family shield yet is so hard to look up, these names come of a chart of decendants of William the Conqueror
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 02 May 15 12:42 BST (UK) »
But aren't they asking about    " If John Wilson is alive and still at Jigginstown??"

Where is Jiggingtown??  Isn't it in Co. Kildare??

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 02 May 15 12:46 BST (UK) »
...."Interesting that Wilson of Wexford has a family shield yet is so hard to look up, these names come of a chart of decendants of William the Conqueror....."

Why? They are all on line on National Library site with Pedigrees