Author Topic: Silk ribbon weaver in London  (Read 3007 times)

Offline Marianne21

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Silk ribbon weaver in London
« on: Wednesday 09 April 08 17:28 BST (UK) »
I am interested in my ancestor John Sansom. I have no idea in what part of London he was a Silk Weaver. His son Charles Sansom said on both his marriage certficates that his father was a Silk Ribbon Manufacturer/Weaver. Any ideas on where I may start to look?  I think that it would be between 1780-1850.  Thanks for ANY help. ???
Lord,London and Northamptonshire.Sansom, London. Clark, Essex.Welch, Kent.Dowsett, London.Gunter, London and Berkshire.
Walsom,London.Pate, London and Hertfordshire.Dickers, Berkshire.
Broome, Oxfordshire and Berkshire.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Silk ribbon weaver in London
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 April 08 18:02 BST (UK) »
hi marrianne  :)

do you have a date for his marriages and his ages ?
this will help narrow it down

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Emjaybee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Yer I be again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 April 08 19:06 BST (UK) »
OLD WEAVERS' HOUSES AT BETHNAL GREEN.

On the revocation of the Edict of Nantes numerous Walloon and French weavers came over to England and settled in and around Spitalfields. "God's blessing is surely not only brought upon the parish [of Spitalfields] by receiving poor strangers," wrote Stowe, "but also a great advantage both accrued to the whole nation by the rich manufactures of weaving silks and stuff and camlet, which art they brought with them.'' Ssme characteristic houses are situated in Florida Street, Bethnal Green, which in former days were occupied by weavers. The hand-loom, though still in use in this part of London, has, of course, been to a great extent superseded by the power-loom.

Acknowledgement:

Extract from Victorian London by Lee Jackson
Beard Voyce, Scrivens in Worcestershire

Offline Marianne21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 April 08 19:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the quick replys. The only information I have is ...... A marriage certificate for Charles Sansom to Eliza Bowler 1839 in St Pancras. I found them on the 1841 census living in Shoreditch. No luck anywhere on the 1851 census. By the time of the 1861 census Charles had married Sophia Sharpe (of Suffolk) and was living in Clerkenwell where he died a few years later. The first marriage cert shows his father as a Silk Ribbon Manufacturer and the second as a Silk Weaver. Charles was always a Watch/Clockmaker. This family has been my brickwall for 10 years. I am desperate to find out more and to establish (or not) if they had Huguenot beginnings. Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Lord,London and Northamptonshire.Sansom, London. Clark, Essex.Welch, Kent.Dowsett, London.Gunter, London and Berkshire.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 April 08 17:29 BST (UK) »
www.a2a.org.uk throws up one interesting thing in the records of Sun Fire Office - a Charlotte Ann Sansom was insured in 1821 at 6 Camomile Street, and her occupation was given as dyer and silk dresser.  Previously there is a Richard Saunders and Son, silk-dyers, at this address (1794):
http://www.londonancestor.com/kents/kents-s.htm

Also at http://www.hrionline.ac.uk/oldbailey/ there is a John Sansom mentioned in 1826 who was a hosier in Brick Lane, Whitechapel.  This John Sansom, aged 45, is at Brick Lane, Whitechapel, in 1841, with two daughters.

Where did Charles say he was born in 1861?

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Marianne21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 April 08 17:35 BST (UK) »
Charles Sansom said that he was born inLondon on the 1851 and 1861 census. I think that he was born between the years 1815-1818.  If only I had a birth place I would at least be able to narrow my search. I have tried many London registers but its like looking for a needle in a haystack.  ???