Author Topic: Tallentire Hall, Cumberland  (Read 15570 times)

Offline eryka91

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Tallentire Hall, Cumberland
« on: Thursday 10 April 08 08:38 BST (UK) »
Looking for photos and history of Tallentire Hall, which I have just discovered was the 'family seat"when the Fletchers lived there. Cannot find much on the internet has it changed name?
Eryka
Australia

Offline Rewcastle

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Tallentire Hall, Cumberland
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 April 08 12:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Eryka,

I've had a quick search, most of what i've found refers to William Browne esq of Tallentire Hall.

There is a thread about the Fletchers of Tallentire Hall. here

Also found this small bit:-
"TALLENTIRE HALL in Cockermouth, Cumbria, is a smallish but impressive period gentleman's residence, now converted into flats." link

There's also photo's on google of the stable block which has been converted and is let out as holiday cottages

Regards
 Rewcastle.

Offline bobgraham

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 April 08 09:29 BST (UK) »
If you go to www.historicaldirectories.org, find by location, and click on cumberland, then open each of the directories and search for tallentire, quite a few references come up but there was also a tallentire family in the area so beware.
bob
Cumberland: Graham and Greenop
Yorkshire: Altass
Scottish Isles: McLean

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 April 08 11:56 BST (UK) »
It sounds as though you have already discovered a reasonable sized property but you should be aware that in Cumberland and Westmoreland the term "Hall" often means little more than an old stone built house.  I got very excited some years ago about part of my family living in a hall, only to discover that it was a row of four very small but very old stone built cottages.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline claireandsi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 May 08 21:12 BST (UK) »
If you go to http://www.cumbriaimagebank.co.uk and put in "Tallentire" as a search it will come up with images of Tallentire Hall (as well as some for the village of Tallentire.

Hope you find this useful/interesting

Claire

Offline keefe177

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 June 13 22:55 BST (UK) »
Tallentire Hall is an impressive building, so is all the buildings surrounding it. I lived in one of the cottages behind the hall between 1997 - 2009. If you have any questions about it please don't hesitate to ask, i'll try my best to provide answers.

Adam

Offline Shirley Ashton

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 January 15 01:34 GMT (UK) »
Tallentire Hall is for sale now in Tallentire it's the country house with 11 bedrooms. If you goggle tallentire hall in little letters you get images of it and the town of Tallentire. I have an old photo copy from 1988 when it was for sale by Sotheby's so know it is the right place. I'm a decendant of Tallentire's here in New Zealand.

Offline AMartinH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 May 16 16:14 BST (UK) »
I have just bought Tallentire Hall.  It was great to read this thread and to follow the links.

Offline linzibuckmaster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 17:34 BST (UK) »
I have just bought Tallentire Hall.  It was great to read this thread and to follow the links.
At AmartinH
Hi there- real long shot but as a kid I lived in Tallentire and used to play in the grounds of the hall. I did return many years ago and took some photos but have realised I have lost them on an old pc. I'd like to make some paintings of my childhood haunts- have you an old photos of the potting shed before it was renovated? My Mum used to help out the gardener there and as a kid I spent many hours in the greenhouses?
 Yours hopefully!