Author Topic: Irving Family-Thomas in particular  (Read 2412 times)

Offline Phyllis2729

• RootsChat Extra
  • My Dad, JJ Smith
    • View Profile
Irving Family-Thomas in particular
« on: Thursday 10 April 08 15:01 BST (UK) »
Hi All:

I'm researching the Moffat Clan and have stumbled into a roadblock of sorts with some of the off-shoots of this group.

I have a William Moffat b. abt,. Mar 1783 Annan, died 11 Jan 1848 Annan.  He married JENNET IRVING 28 Jul 1805 Annan born 16 Dec 1786 Gretna and died 27 Aug 1851 Annan.  She was the daughter of THOMAS IRVING & MARGARET HUGGAN.  These are the folks I'm looking for, does anyone have any info about this side of the Irving family?

To clarify which William Moffat and JENNET IRVING family I am looking for, their children were:  William Moffat b. 11 Apr 1808 Annan; George Moffat b. May 1809 Annan; Hannah Moffat b. 28 Mar 1810 Annan; Richard Moffat b. 10 Jun 1812; William Moffat b. 1817 Annan; Kenneth McKauley Moffat b. 23 Nov 1820 Annan (this is my gggggrandfather); John Moffat b. 1823 Annan (I have interesting side info on John, if you care to know); Jospeh Moffat B. 28 Dec 1824 Annan; and Janet Moffat b. 5 Oct 1828 Annan.

If this sounds familiar, please contact me.  Thanks.

Phyllis2729
Smith, Moffat, Lane, Beggs, Irving
Fitzpatrick, Idle, Brooks, Gerrard,
Colley, Lightbound, Aspin(w)all,
Howarth, Johnson, Sixsmith, Tickle

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Irving Family-Thomas in particular
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 April 08 14:55 BST (UK) »
She was the daughter of THOMAS IRVING & MARGARET HUGGAN

Can I ask how you know who her parent's were? The reason I ask is that there are no children named Thomas, or Margaret.

As there is a son with the middle name McKauley, I'd be thinking that this was Janet's maiden name. The first daughter was Hannah, so I'd think this was Janet's mother's name. Richard as her father.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Phyllis2729

• RootsChat Extra
  • My Dad, JJ Smith
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 April 08 02:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Jamjar:

I have been researching the Moffat family since my gggranddfather is Kenneth McKauley (Macauley) Moffat and his father was William Moffat who married Jennet Irving 1 July 1805 in Annan.  And I have that she was born 1786 in Gretna Green.  Other children of William Moffat and Jennet Irving are: William b. 11 Apr 1808, Hannah b. 28 March 1810, Richard b. 10 Jun 1812, William b. 1817, Kenneth, John b. 1823,  Joseph b. 28 Dec 1824, Janet b. 5 Oct 1828 all in Annan.

Checking with ancestry.com and my cousin it turns out that Jennet's parents were Thomas Irving and Margaret Johnston Huggan born 12 Jun 1761 Langholm.  They married between 1778 and 1786.  Their children were Jennet Irving born 16 Dec 1786 Gretna Green and Thomas Irving born 11 Jul 1791 Annan.  I also have info that Thomas Irving (the father) born 6 Dec 1761 Annan parents are William Irving born 28 Apr 1743  and Mary Johnstone born bef. 1745; Margaret Johnston Huggan's parents are Peter Huggan and Janet Campbell; a little further back is William's parents being John Irving and Margaret Welsh, I don't have parents listed for Mary Johnstone.

I have a little further back on the Moffat's if that would interest you and further forward as well to present day.  Kenneth Macauley Moffat married Jane Herbertson Peters 1845 in Annan their only child was Janet Irving Moffat and she is my paternal ggrandmother.  The part of the family that I'd like to find out more info on is the Irving's; do you have any info that will help?

Phyllis2729
Smith, Moffat, Lane, Beggs, Irving
Fitzpatrick, Idle, Brooks, Gerrard,
Colley, Lightbound, Aspin(w)all,
Howarth, Johnson, Sixsmith, Tickle

Offline elaine gray

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 October 21 20:27 BST (UK) »
Yes, I'm putting this on an old post.
My gt grandad James Irving Moffat was born 1841 Kilpatrick Fleming, Dumfries-shire to William Moffat and mary carlyle. I've always wondered where the Irving came from. Moffat geo site has him marrying, Ellen Rae. Also William that msrried Mary being born 1811 so older than the William married to Ellen.
So, I'm thinking that my James didn't come from Moffat /Irving line mentioned in previous posts??
So if anyone has a clue please let me know.
Thank you

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 October 21 06:02 BST (UK) »
I believe, The William Moffat (b. 1817 Annan) who married Helen Rae is from the family mentioned in the first post on this thread. This is not the same William Moffat (b. 1810) who had a number of children with Mary Carlyle.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline elaine gray

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 October 21 09:37 BST (UK) »
Morning, no, didn't think so. It's finding the Irving connection. This James Irving Moffat had 6 kids with Agnes Hughes, she was the daughter of Mary Irving. So I'm intrigued by this.
James was a railway guard and met Agnes in Greenock. As the father and brothers of Agnes worked in railways I wonder if they met up as there was a family connection.
As I said I have a dna match who have the aforementioned Moffat and Christian fraser as ancestors.but of course this could be a red herring.
My Moffat line tho born in Dumfries-shire settled in Carlisle.
Will keep at this, thanks for the reply

Elaine