Author Topic: Desperation Point - Unpenetrable Brick Wall  (Read 4238 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Desperation Point - Unpenetrable Brick Wall
« on: Friday 11 April 08 14:14 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to help my niece's partner with his family tree but have hit the proverbial brick wall far too soon.   Will list all the information I have.

James Wilder, 22, mariner, son of James Wilder, bootmaker (deceased) married Elizabeth Douglass in the register office at Newcastle upon Tyne on 330/7/1885.   The witnesses were Ralph Douglass (brides brother) and Thomas K. Munro.   (The Douglass line has proved no problem)

I believe he was just a lodger but don't have the exact address from my informant so have just e-mailed them for this.

I couldn't find him on the 1881 census but as he was a mariner wasn't too concerned as he may well have been at sea.   In 1891 (RG12 4185 92 17) the family were in Gateshead but he is shown as 'Joseph', age 26, and is a Coal Miner.   In 1901 (RG13 4760 138 28) the family are still in Gateshead and this time he is James, 28, and a bricklayers labourer.   On both census' he is shown as being born in Carlisle, Cumberland.   This, and his death, indicate a birth date of ca.1863.

Now the problems begin.   There is no birth entry (and I've checked original indexes as well as FreeBMD) for a James Wilder nor indeed any Wilder in Carlisle, or even in the whole of Cumberland.   Likewise, there are no marriages or deaths either!   The IGI shows a marriage some 25 years earlier but this is not shown in marriage index so maybe a mistake.    There are no Wilders living in the whole of Cumberland on any census and the ones that appear in Newcastle turned out to be Wilde's not Wilder.    Have checked Scottish records too since Carlisle is so close to the border but nothing there.   There was one family in Glasgow but they had their own James born later.

Whether a red herring or not I don't know but I've been told by the family that they think the family originated in Austria and may have anglicised their name (??)   Whether fact or something they've just picked up on I don't know.  Bearing that in mind have explored this angle too but nothing seems to fit.   In 1891 the Census shows a Lazarus Wilder bc.1866 in Brodz, Austria and in 1901 there's an Abraham Sam Wilder and family in Bradford and he was born Austria.   No trace of them before these dates in UK records. 

There was no James Wilder, bootmaker on any census and no likely death between the younger James bc.1863 and 1885 when he married.   Have followed all the Wilder's listed in other parts of the country and no tie up with them.   In 1901 the census index shows a newly married Edward Wilder born in Carlisle who was in the Navy but having traced this line back this was clearly a mistake as he was actually born in Portsea and again no tie in with our mysterious James.

The witness Thomas K Munro has been searched for too in case a family connection there.   The only one I can find is a Thomas Kirkpatrick Munro bc.1866 in Arbroath, Angus who was a similar age to James Wilder but can find no family link between them.

So, we have a James Wilder supposedly born circa 1863 in Carlisle, Cumberland (son of another James Wilder, bootmaker who was deceased by 1885) - with a possible connection to Austria - of whom there is no trace prior to his marriage in 1885.   Is any of this information correct?   Have checked all kind of spelling variations but can find no trace of him anywhere.   Before I give up completely thought I'd run this by the clever folk on this site who seem to be able to break down other peoples brick walls.   Alas, the realist in me makes me far from optimistic.

Annette7
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DESPERATION POINT - UNPENETRABLE BRICK WALL
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 April 08 14:22 BST (UK) »
Have posted this on wrong board and don't know how to move it.   Sorry.   Didn't know how to post a new topic - went into 'how to use rootschat' to find out and got carried away.   Can moderator move to correct board please?

Annette7
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
Re: Desperation Point - Unpenetrable Brick Wall
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 April 08 14:42 BST (UK) »
It might be worth checking the name 'Jacob' if the family was Austrian and used 'James'.

I've been looking but haven't found anything yet.

And the name could be an anglicised version of something like Wildenstein, etc.
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 April 08 14:49 BST (UK) »
hi annette  :)

i make james 37 on 1901 census(sorry if you just typed it in wrong)

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 April 08 18:15 BST (UK) »
Tricia_2

Thanks for your observations - should have thought of the name Jacob myself.   Will investigate your suggestions further.

Ev

You are right in that I made a mistake.   Looking down at my notes I copied the last 2 digits of the census reference rather than his age.

Annette7
London -  Monk

Offline Amanda M Knox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 April 20 18:45 BST (UK) »
I'm researching the same ancestor as I'm a direct descendant.
Did you get any further on this?

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 April 20 20:34 BST (UK) »
There were Wildeys and Wildings, etc, about in Carlisle at the time.

Only James in the birth indexes is
WILDING, JAMES       
Mother's Maiden Surname:
GRO Reference: 1864  J Quarter in CARLISLE  Volume 10B  Page 462

Don't know how likely that is.

Death of James?
June 1937 Gateshead 10a 868
Wilder, James   
age 72

Offline Amanda M Knox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 April 20 20:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you. My aunty plans on ordering that certificate once the registy office reopens.
I also searched for variations of "Wilder" with the keywords "book maker" and I got a James Walder in Leeds, born in Ireland.
I'm doing some research to see if I can rule him out.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 April 20 21:26 BST (UK) »
Hi
It could be looking promising.
A marriage in Carlisle
March 1866 Carlisle 10b 629
Sparrow, William
Wildon, Elizabeth
+ 2 others

William and Elizabeth could be in Newcastle in 1871
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V5BX-794

Piece 5088 folio 5 page 3
St Andrews
Wm Sparrow Head 50 Under Bailiff, born Middlesex Shoreditch
Elizabeth Sparrow Wife 26, born Cumberland Carlisle
James Sparrow Stepson 6 Cumberland Kingston
Jane E Sparrow Daur 3 St Andrews N'Castle

Birth of Jane from new GRO index
SPARROW, JANE  ELIZABETH     
Mother's Maiden Surname: WILING 
GRO Reference: 1867  D Quarter in NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE  Volume 10B  Page 64

There is also this one in 1869, was he one of theirs?
SPARROW, JOHN  WILLIAM     
Mother's Maiden Surname: WILDER
GRO Reference: 1869  D Quarter in NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE  Volume 10B  Page 62

Death Dec 1870, Newcastle T. of John William Sparrow, age 1