Author Topic: Purchasing copies of certificates  (Read 904 times)

Offline kwilt4u

• RootsChat Extra
  • Dad's quilt
    • View Profile
Purchasing copies of certificates
« on: Friday 11 April 08 18:37 BST (UK) »
I realize that purchasing copies of certificates are the only "cast iron" way of proving some ancestors, or confirming some research. 

Having said that, it can become a little spendy purchasing one for each family member.  Is there a general rule of thumb as to how many you purchase for a family group.  One or two per generation?

Or can I get a similar quality of information from the Parish records?

I want to do the best job possible but not go into debt doing it! if thats possible.

I ordered a couple of marriage certs, one arrived but I'm still waiting on the other.  Do you get faster results sending in requests individually?  Do they inform you if they can't find the one requested?

There is a whole list of certs I would like to order but I don't want to upset my husband by flexing the credit card too much - if you know what I mean.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Heather
Butler, Davisson,
DENT- Cundall, Ripon, Pateley Bridge,
Edwards - Sleetburn, Durham
Hewitt - Dewsbury,  Johnson,
Langhorn, Milnes,
Richardson - Dewsbury
Spencer, Story,
Telford, Temperly,
Veblen,
Willans - Yorkshire

Offline bwgan ceredig

• RootsChat Senior
  • They can 'do' 20 generations each!
    • View Profile
Re: Purchasing copies of certificates
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 April 08 18:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather

I don't know about anyone else, but there is no way I could afford to buy all the certs.  I only buy the ones that either add info, such as a maiden name or father's details, or to prove...or even disprove a theory.  Might not be purist, but it keeps me sane and solvent!  ;D (Until I win the lottery...what do you mean I have to buy a ticket first?...rats...that's where I've been going wrong...)

I think you should just do what you want (I presume you are just doing it for your own interest.)  It's a hobby and for the most part supposed to be pleasure ???. (Although I really believe masochism (spl?) is a strong driver for most of us!  ;D)

Regards

Julie
Stiff - Monmouthshire & Glos, Parry - Monmouthshire
Stafford - Glos, Liles - Glos, Bright- Glos, Webb - Monmouthshire & Glos, Smart - Glos, Smith - Glos
Sullivan - Ireland, Jones (oh dear! Almost as bad as Smith), Walker - Somerset, Llewellyn
And, no don't laugh...Crump...I think it's great!

And of course, if I ever do manage to do a successful look up it is crown copyright and all that legal stuff!

Seriously Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tinav40

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 April 08 18:54 BST (UK) »
I only purchase certificates if I am not sure. It does get very expensive. I have a lot of them that are for the wrong people but that's another story.
I am lucky that on Dads side it is very local so a trip to the records office to print a copy of a marriage is very worthwhile.
I have also emailed a couple of record offices with details and they very kindly looked them up for me at no cost. Thus saving me money and travelling time but I'm not sure if all record offices offer the same service.
 :)

Offline KateW

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Gt gt Granny Susannah and Edward James 1864
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 April 08 19:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather,

Have you tried ringing the relevant Register Office?  They are you usually really helpful and will let you know if it's worth sending the money for the certificate.  I have tried that with several now, in different areas of the country and they always seem interested and happy to help.  The one occasion where they sent the wrong one, it was accepted  back and they happily had a second attempt.  I eventually received the right one, so it was worth speaking to someone.   :)

KateW.

Offline kwilt4u

• RootsChat Extra
  • Dad's quilt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 April 08 19:17 BST (UK) »
The ones I need to look up are all in Yorkshire and as I now live in Washington State its no longer a short trip for me.  

Will the LDS places have the parish records? - I have one of their history centres not too far away.

I guess ordering certs is cheaper than a road trip for me!!!!!

Thank you I'll phone the register office before ordering - great idea.

Heather

Butler, Davisson,
DENT- Cundall, Ripon, Pateley Bridge,
Edwards - Sleetburn, Durham
Hewitt - Dewsbury,  Johnson,
Langhorn, Milnes,
Richardson - Dewsbury
Spencer, Story,
Telford, Temperly,
Veblen,
Willans - Yorkshire