Author Topic: Catherine FARRELL - birth c 1812  (Read 4684 times)

Offline Bryan1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Catherine FARRELL - birth c 1812
« on: Friday 11 April 08 21:40 BST (UK) »
I'm floundering!  ???
I have estimated Catherine's birth from shipping records to NSW, Australia in 1844, aged 32 (on board Elizabeth (I) Cork to Sydney/Newcastle).
Her death certificate states she was born in Armagh and married in Cty Down (to Patrick LOGAN, b c 1816).
Her Parents were John FARRELL a baker, and Bridget M PARTLAN.
I can only assume she was RC, as she and family were in Australia.

My questions are:
How do I go further from here in determining (1) birth, and (2) marriage?

Historically, how would the couple and at that stage 2 children (7 and 2) have got from Down to Cork to board the ship?

Thanks
Bryan
Christchurch, New Zealand.

Pickett, Parrott, Fitzpatrick, McKeowen

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine FARRELL - birth c 1812
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 April 08 21:49 BST (UK) »
Since civil registration of Irish births only started in 1864 you would need to search for church records (if they still exist). To do so you need to know the family's religion and where they lived (parish if not actual townland).
Civil registration of Catholic marriages began 1864 (other ones from 1845) so above also applies.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Bryan1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 April 08 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hi aghadowey
Thanks for the reply. It would seem to be dead end, then. That's the bare info I have and I can't think where to source any more. I have trawled through the various lists available online for Logan and Farrell but they are generally later years than my dates.
I did have Down, Cty Down for the Logan birth but I'm not certain of the reliability of that information. Would I get any further with that? Down is a town I understand.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 April 08 22:28 BST (UK) »
There's Downpatrick in County Down but no Down, County Down.

Pedigree Resource File (www.familysearch.org) lists Catherine Farrell and her parents but give birthplace as Armagh, County Down but since this is a submitted entry it can't be relied upon. However, it might be worth trying to contact submitted (unfortunately no idea how long ago details were submitted) in case they are connected somehow to Catherine and have since done more research.

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 April 08 23:53 BST (UK) »
I'm floundering!  ???
I have estimated Catherine's birth from shipping records to NSW, Australia in 1844, aged 32 (on board Elizabeth (I) Cork to Sydney/Newcastle).
Her death certificate states she was born in Armagh and married in Cty Down (to Patrick LOGAN, b c 1816).
Her Parents were John FARRELL a baker, and Bridget M PARTLAN.
I can only assume she was RC, as she and family were in Australia.

My questions are:
How do I go further from here in determining (1) birth, and (2) marriage?

Historically, how would the couple and at that stage 2 children (7 and 2) have got from Down to Cork to board the ship?

Thanks
Bryan
Christchurch, New Zealand.

Hello Bryan,

I wonder if Catherine's marriage took place in the Diocese of Down (the RC Diocese is Down and Connor...  the Anglican Diocese is Down and Dromore). Newry, located in the Diocese of Down and Connor, isn't too far from the Armagh / Down border. 

Sailing to Australia from Cork puzzles me if the family came from Co. Down as the distance is between 200 to 260 miles. That's a long walk so if they did travel that far they may have travelled by horse back or stage coach. They may also have sailed to Cork.

Christopher

Offline Bryan1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 April 08 00:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks to you both
aghadowey: I had seen the LDS file and knew there were inaccuracies there. There are quite a few people researching the descendants of this couple as they produced plenty of progeny. But no one seems to have explored the Ireland connection any further.

Christopher: So would it be an idea to try and find records for both religions as a starting point in those dioceses? And how easy is that?? Where to start?
Yes I had checked the distance (Down to Cork) on the map. It turns their journey into a epic saga.
Thanks again
Bryan

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 April 08 01:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Bryan,

I'd suggest you concentrate on Catholic marriages.

Have a look at Farrells and Logans in Griffiths Valuation  Armagh 1864 and Down 1863-4. You'll find the surname in the same parish but I'm not certain if they are also in the same townland. You'll see Newry appears in both valuations. I'd forget about the Downpatrick idea. The family probably lived on the Armagh / Down border ... Lurgan / Moira or Newry / Newry are possibilities but there may be a couple of others. I know that Catherine and her family were in Australia prior to the Valuation taking place but brickwalls can be knocked down if there were remaining relatives in Ireland living in the same area as those that emigrated lived.

The Valuations are on John Hayes failteromhat.com website

Christopher

Offline Bryan1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 April 08 05:04 BST (UK) »
I have been searching this site for BDM's
http://ifhf.brsgenealogy.com/index.php
First question: Is it a good starting point?

Apropos my Farrell and Logan: I can get no births for Logan (1811-19), some possibilities in Longford and Down for Farrell(1811-19). No marriages in Down but in Longford and Kildare(1829-37).
This is the second time I get a link to Longford as Patrick and Catherine seem to have sponsored a child from there to Australia in 1856. There's a post elsewhere for Joseph McGarry relating to this.
Second question: Is Longford way off the mark do you think?

My reckoning from ages of children and deaths is
Patrick b abt 1816, Catherine abt 1813; Marriage abt 1831-1837, more likely 1832.

Offline Bryan1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 April 08 04:44 BST (UK) »
Christopher are you there?  ::)
I got a baptism record for a John Logan from IFHF site above.
Date 18/10/1836
Parish/District: Newry
County: Down
Denomination: RC
Father: Patrick Logan
Mother: Catherine Farrel (sic)
Sponsors; Daniel Kenny, Mary McVeigh

The date is about right.

I've explored Ros Davis' site and pulled out all the RC churches.
In Griffiths I have a John Farrell (Catherine's father was John) in Townland Greenan, Newry, Co Down.
So how does this help me further? Where to now, given I can seem to find no records of marriage?
Thanks again.
Bryan