Author Topic: Bridport Worcester  (Read 5918 times)

Offline ozzie2006

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bridport Worcester
« on: Saturday 12 April 08 22:14 BST (UK) »
according to the 1841 and 1851 census reports my ancester Elizabeth davis and her children were living in Bridport Worcester in the parish of St Andrew. Does anybody know where Bridport is? I've been unable to find it on an internet search.

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Bridport Worcester
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 April 08 23:07 BST (UK) »
Hi. The 1841's enumerator's description says "All that part of St Andrews Ward comprising the north side of that Part of Copenhagen St situate between the corner of Bridport St and the River - The Lower Quay all that part of Quay St in the Parish of St Andrews, Part of Merry Vale....."

Copenhagen St seems to be on the map at www.streetmap.co.uk at least :)
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 April 08 23:37 BST (UK) »
Not too sure, but if you go here
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/map.aspx?compid=55217
and click on Worcester, click over by the left hand side of the map to zoom in, look for St Helens in quite big letters. Then just above that is Copenhagen Street running E-W, and that may be Bridport at right angle sto it only it looks more like Birdport to be honest  ??? Must be in that neck of the woods at least.
Hope that helps a bit.
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 April 08 00:01 BST (UK) »
I looked at the 1851/1841 census and going back a few pages I would say that the address is actually Birdport (though the 1841 is not very clear). That being so there are some pictures here http://www.worcestercitymuseums.org.uk/content/oldpics/hitoriv.htm

If any one wants to look at the adress and see if they agree:

Elizabeth Davis b 1811
HO107/1209 Book 3 in 1841
HO107/2042 Folio 668 in 1851

Offline ozzie2006

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 April 08 17:00 BST (UK) »
thank you very much for all your work, the information is very helpful

Offline emma222

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 April 08 17:03 BST (UK) »
My relatives lived in and around Birdport too. Unfortunately, most buildings within this area of Worcester were demolished during the slum clearance of the 1930s and so (though some streets remain) much of it does not...certainly none of my relatives' abodes. :(

Emma

Offline parishmouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 February 09 16:01 GMT (UK) »
some of my ancestors were born in birdport and in 1851 they were living in Birdport area.
The quaysides were full of watermen’s taverns, dingy and squalled. The area was a maze of narrow alleys. In Copenhagen St, there was a mix of good merchant houses and squalid tenements. The Cock inn had a passage running under St Andrews church to the Bull Entry and the Red Cow where smuggling from Bristol went on. the only thing left of the original area is the countess of huntingdons chapel  now a music venue the rest is a shopping mall called crowngate. the churches used for this small area was st andrews or st albans churches. i live in worcester so i can answer any queries about the city.
rickhuss hinton minett gines lee francis banner shelton