Author Topic: Knowlton in New Forest  (Read 6252 times)

Offline abrooker

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Knowlton in New Forest
« on: Sunday 04 April 04 21:00 BST (UK) »
Trying to find more info on these people

William Knowlton b1816 Hampshire
married Dec 1866 in New Forest
Kezia Golden from Poole
had child
Alice Knowlton b1867 New Forest

I have their 1881 census details and who Alice married.
looking for surnames in Warwickshire: Boneham, Probin, West,Hewin, Bennett, Bister, Parsons, Goddard, Kirby, Stanger

Looking for names in Westminster, Pimlico and Lambeth: Brooker, Barrs, Long, Kevell, Penrose, Grainger

Looking for Golden in Dorset and New Forest
Looking for Knowlton in New Forest

Looking for Hannam, Sewards in Lincolnshire

Offline Donna M

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Knowlton in New Forest
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 January 06 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have a Charlotte Knowlton in my tree born abt 1851 Eling, Hampshire. Her father was Richard Knowlton. Do they ring any bells for you?
With kind regards Donna
Dorset=Cutler, Phillips, Pitfield, Thresher, Christopher, Aplin
Southampton=Bessant, Sothcott/Southcott, Mintrum/Mintram, Hillier, Bird, Cooper, Dawkins, Page, Moody, Pearce
Durham=Emmerson, McGravey
London, Surrey, Kent, Wandsworth=Friday, White, Waghorn, Pizzey
Ontario, Canada=Hopkins

Offline bj2010

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 April 10 21:52 BST (UK) »
I have the following Knowltons from Eling Hampshire

James Knowlton, b abt 1789 Eling Hampshire, d 1886 New Forest Hampshire, m Elizabeth Bavis 7 Jun 1824
They had the following children:  James b 1824; Rhoda b abt 1825; Kezia b 1834; Daniel b 1835; Ruth b 1840; and Harriett b 1844 (my 2Xggmother).   I would be very interested in following up - the name Kezia might imply a connection.

Bob
Hampshire - Jones, Knowlton, Bavis, Hatch
Wiltshire - Jones, White
Somerset - Cross, Kift, Hosegood, Davis, Curry, Hiles, Halber, Stone, Web, Webber
Cheshire - Toole
Ireland - Morphy, Miller
York - Harmer, Earle
Corbet(t) - Quebec, Canada - Corbet(t), Mather

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 April 10 18:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Knowltons

Was James Knowlton a sand digger in the New Forest? Was there a relation of yours all called Joseph Knowlton of Eling, and a George Knowlton who  was hung for murder?

If there was send  me a PM and I can tell you how you can read about the Knowlton's in the Hampshire Telegraph online, unless you know already.

For example:

LYNDHURST PETTY SESSIONS .
The Hampshire Advertiser  Saturday, November 11, 1865
LYNDHURST PETTY SESSIONS
At the Queen’s House, on Wednesday, before Mr. W.H.S. Stanley Mr. C. Castleman, and Mr. R. F. Wingrove, magistrates.
Poachers: Joseph Knowlton and Daniel Hatch, of Eling, old offenders, were charged with trespassing on land in the occupation of Mr. W. H. S. Stanley, in search of rabbits, on the 16th October. Knowlton, who was the only defendant who put in an appearance, was further charged with threatening the keeper (Longman), who proved the trespass. He was fined 40s and costs, or 21 days imprisonment for  the trespass, and the other case was ordered to stand over to give the defendant an opportunity of proving an alibi. The magistrates issued a warrant for the apprehension of Hatch.

The Hampshire Advertiser Saturday, May 10, 1862
Deaths
   On the 1st Inst, in Lake Road, Landport, Portsea, William J. Knowlton, aged 35, leaving a widow and four children.

Tom

Offline Beaujolaiswine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 May 10 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am interested in the Knowlton's on my side of the family and on my wife's too. On my side Rhoda Knowlton baptised 11 Mar 1827 (dau. of James Knowlton and Elizabeth Bavis) in 1851 married Samuel Knowlton (a cousin perhaps) baptised Minstead 11 Nov 1827 son of Joseph Knowlton and Mary Gregory.

Samuel and Rhoda's daughter Rose Knowlton married Albert Simmons in 1875. Albert and Rose's son Herbert Booth Simmons married my grandmother's sister Lillian Edith Phillips 31 Jul 1910.

On my wife's side her 5 x great grandmother was Susannah Lett Knowlton (parents unknown) born abt. 1728, who married Royal Peckem on 27 Feb 1750 (or 1749 according to the IGI) at Lyndhurst, Hampshire, England. Susannah was buried on 12 Mar 1787 in Minstead.

Any info to help me find out who Susannah's parents were and possibly any link between my Knowlton relations would be very much appreciated.

best wishes

Richard   :)
Garrett (particularly in Hampshire); Miller (particulalry in Hampshire); Goodey/Goody (particularly in London, Middlesex and South Oxfordshire); Phillips, Williamson and Crockett all in Buckinghamshire; Farnham in Cornwall, Pyne in Sussex and Ireland; Mursell in Hampshire and Isle of Wight; Burnett in Scotland; Bramham in Yorkshire; Colebrooke; Watts

Offline looberta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 July 13 20:18 BST (UK) »
My 4th times Great Grandfather was William Knowlton, b1816 - d1882. Married to Kezia Golden, b1834 - d1918 and also married to Sarah Gould, b1814 - d1855. His father was Joseph Knowlton, d1840. I can be contacted on *for more information. I have an extensive Knowlton family tree and am happy to share.

*Moderator comment: e-mail address removed in acordance with RootsChat general practice.  Please use the personal message system to exchange e-mail addresses.  Thanks  :)

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 July 13 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Looberta,

I am sorry to say that we have been unable to pass on your message to abooker, this gentleman was last online in 2004 and his email notifications are now bouncing back to us. :'( :'(

I have googled his details but any postings are all around 2002-2004.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wirelessbob

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 September 13 11:37 BST (UK) »
I am researching my wife's family tree for her and I think it may tie in with your research as follows:-

Born 1957, daughter of:-
* Knowlton, Born 1919, Son of:-
Samuel Knowlton, Born 1872, Son of :-
William Knowlton, Born 1839, Son of :-
William Knowlton, Born 1816, Son of :-
Joseph Knowlton, Born 17??, Son of :-
?

That's it so far, the family are all Eling/Cadnam people up to Charles William who was born in
Mountain Ash by a quirk of fate but spent his childhood in Cadnam.

Does this match up with your research into the Knowlton family?

Rgds
Bob H

Moderator comment: edited to remove names of people who might still be alive.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 September 13 09:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob,

Welcome to RootsChat.

I am sorry to say that we have been unable to pass on your message to abooker, this gentleman was last online in 2004 and his email notifications are now bouncing back to us. :'( :'(

I have googled his details but any postings are all around 2002-2004.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk