Author Topic: Surname Broll/Brawl/Broal Wigtownshire  (Read 17380 times)

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
Surname Broll/Brawl/Broal Wigtownshire
« on: Sunday 13 April 08 18:30 BST (UK) »
Is anyone researching this name. My 4 g grandmother was Sarah Broll who married Andrew Hall in Inch Wigtown 6/2/1823. Sarah's death cert says her parents were John Brawl (coachman)and Janet Stewart (probably Irish). Andrew Hall was born in Ireland Sarah in Leswalt. The only other Broll I can find is a John Broll married Mary McMeiken(various spellings) I think he is Sarahs brother as second daughter is called Janet first son John. Andrew and Sarah lived all their married lives in Castle Kennedy Inch and died there. Is their any other Broll/Brawl etc out there?

Brick Wall time

Thanks Terry
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Brothers & cousins to Thomas (Both KIA same day)
Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

George Lowden Borthwick 1899 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 19 Royal Scots Fusiliers

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright  GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Surname Broll/Brawl/Broal Wigtownshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 June 08 08:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Terry  :)

I saw your comments about your Broll's on the MI thread. I sympathise asI have 3 lines that disappear into the mists of Dumfries & Galloway.

A quick look at the IGI suggests that another variation of the name - Browell -  seems to occurs in the North East of England, particularly Northumberland, and long before the Wigtownshire Brolls.

As John was a coachman, I just wondered if you have investigated this possibility.

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 June 08 08:58 BST (UK) »
SP confirms the family you have found

04/01/1824 BROLL ANN daur of JOHN BROLL and MARGARET MCMECHAN at Kirkcolm /WIGTOWN

19/08/1825 BROLL JOHN son of JOHN BROLL and MARY MCMECKAN at Kirkcolm /WIGTOWN

12/11/1826 BROLL JANET daur of JOHN BROLL and MARY MCMECKAN at Kirkcolm /WIGTOWN

13/08/1828 BROLL MARY daur of JOHN BROLL and MARY MCMECKAN at Kirkcolm /WIGTOWN

08/05/1831 BROLL JOHN son of JOHN BROLL and MARY MCMECKAN at Kirkcolm /WIGTOWN

28/10/1834 BROLL JAMES son of JOHN BROLL and MARY MCMECKAN  at Kirkcolm /WIGTOWN

There is also this record

15/12/1837 BROLE ELIZABETH daur of JOHN BROLE and ELIZABETH MARTIN at Leswalt /WIGTOWN

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 June 08 09:01 BST (UK) »
I notice that John Broal's baptism entry of 12 December February 1800, Kirkcolm lists him as being son of the late John Broal and Jannet Stewart

Sarah appears to have been born circa 1793.

Have you looked at the Kirk Session minutes? There may be mention of mort cloth fees, etc.

Sancti - I'm sure Terry has all those. He's been searching for nearly 30 years    ::) ::) ::)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 June 08 09:07 BST (UK) »
John's baptism was actually 12 February 1800

12/02/1800 BROAL JOHN son of JOHN BROAL and JANNET STEWART at Kirkcolm /WIGTOWN

also this one

18/08/1818 BROAL JOHN son of JANE BROAL at Kirkcolm /WIGTOWN

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 June 08 09:08 BST (UK) »
OK - - but he was the son of the late John Broal wich is the most interesting thing.

Most of what you're getting from SP is on the IGI by the way  :)

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 June 08 09:12 BST (UK) »
OK - - but he was the son of the late John Broal wich is the most interesting thing.

Most of what you're getting from SP is on the IGI by the way  :)

I dont have time to cross check  ;D

Time to go and pay the mortgage  ;D

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 June 08 09:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget,

I did look at that possibility, I think I've tried every variation I can think of. In the 1841 census Sarah and Andrew both said they were born Ireland but all subsequent census's she says she was born Leswalt. My gran's cousin who died in her nineties about three years ago said her mother said- 'her mother had lovely Irish linen that had come down the family'. That would have been Sarah's daughter. It could have come from Andrew's family but I don't know. I have got no further with Andrew Hall either but when you don't know where in Ireland they were born it's nigh impossible especially with a name like Hall!

The name Broll/Brawl has intrigued me for years now (it is on the MI for Sarah and Andrew as Brawl). I guess that's what genealogy is all about.

Thanks for having a look for me it is appreciated I'm hoping to get up to Edinburgh soon so will sit with the Leswalt OPR. When I last picked up this thread and was up there I only looked at Inch OPR. So for the moment I'll keep on hunting.

Many thanks again

Terry
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Brothers & cousins to Thomas (Both KIA same day)
Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

George Lowden Borthwick 1899 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 19 Royal Scots Fusiliers

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright  GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 June 08 09:25 BST (UK) »
Hi again Terry

The old coach routes between Scotland & Ireland would have gone through there and across D & G and down to Carlisle.

John was bpt. Kirkcolm which is slightly to the north of Stranraer. I've checked the online parish list for 1684 but no mention of the surname in Kirkcolm:

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~leighann/1684/nkirkcol.txt

or in any of the other parishes.

He's not listed in the Kirkcolm death index:

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~leighann/parishes/kirkcolm/deaths/intro.html

I presume you've been through the Wigtown Free press listings?

Gadget