Author Topic: Lookup Request for Robert Harper from Scotland  (Read 3788 times)

Offline jams

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Lookup Request for Robert Harper from Scotland
« on: Sunday 13 April 08 22:40 BST (UK) »
I have Robert Harper born around 1832 in Scotland. Would like to know his roots if possible, or when he emigrated to Australia.

Born in Scotland, not known how long in the colonies. Married at Yass, NSW, aged 38 to Alice Smith in 1870 No. 10820/1875, Seventeenth September, 1875, Albert Memorial Hospital,Wollongong, Robert Harper, Engineer, male 43 years, cause of death,(1) (a) Primary Bronchitis, (b) Pneumonia,duration of last illness (2)about 7 weeks, Medical attendant (3) W.Smith Thomas, M.R.C.S.Eng,L.S.Q.Lond. When he last saw the deceased (4) 17th September 1875,father Not Known, mother Not Known, informant, Alice Harper, Widow of deceased, Church Hill, Wollongong Street. Registrated by illegible, 23rd September, 1875, Wollongong , Buried 18th September, 1875, Presbyterian Cemetery, undertaker, George Osborne. Minister,John A Stuart, Presbyterian, witnesses, George Cochrane, Charles Fraser, born in Scotland, not known how long in the colonies.

Married at Yass, NSW,aged 38 to Alice Smith, children, Emma Ann 3 years, Eliza Jane 2 1/2months. Buried 18th September, 1875, Presbyterian Cemetery, undertaker, George Osborne

Thanks

Julie
Kensit
Crofts
Smith
Gay
Clements
Sams

Offline CuriousDiana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup Request for Robert Harper from Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 April 08 11:49 BST (UK) »
It might be a good idea to buy the marriage certificate, as NSW marriage certs state parents' names,  how long person has been in the colony   & birthplace.

Diana

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 03:50 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately Diana 1870 NSW certificates do not always contain the information specified. I have one from 1873 and the only information about the groom is his name, residence and occupation. If you can find a parish record for the marriage, the church records sometimes contain more information than was given to the registry.

You could try a transcription agent Julie, who for a lesser fee will check if the parent information is on the marriage certificate. 
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/howToSearch.htm#TranscriptionAgent

There is a 21 year old Robert Harper on the Vig immigrants list in 1854, but I imagine the name is relatively common
http://proarchives.imagineering.com.au/index_search.asp?searchid=23

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 04:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info.

The info I stated is from the death certificate stating not known how long in the colonies.

The marriage certificate says he is a bachelor, Engineer, usual residence, Yass. No mention of how long he was living here.

The web site for Victoria is really good. Is there one for the other states?

Thanks

Julie
Kensit
Crofts
Smith
Gay
Clements
Sams

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 05:32 BST (UK) »
There are many shipping links given on the Australia Resources board - under each state. The details of NSW shipping online is given here
http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/indexes_online_3357.asp

Victoria seems to mention all ships that passed by. Folks going to other states are often in the Vic lists

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 April 08 02:03 BST (UK) »
Great!! Thanks
Kensit
Crofts
Smith
Gay
Clements
Sams

Offline wiglet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 January 19 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie,

I have been able to connect your Robert Harper to my family of Harpers, thanks to a deceased estate (his brother, James Patterson Harper) that dragged through the courts for a number of years, and was widely reported upon in the papers, as his daughter, Emma Ann Cooper, was one of the 23 nephews or nieces listed as next of kin:

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/80269967?searchTerm=%22mary%20ann%20grachan%22%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20&searchLimits=l-state=Queensland

Robert arrived in Launceston, Tasmania on the ship “Broomielaw”, on 26 November 1859, ex Glasgow, age listed as 27, along with his sister Ellen (Helen).  He was still in Tasmania at the end of 1862, when he was one of the witnesses at Helen's marriage to Peter Moir, and in an application for an Immigrant Bounty Ticket in April 1864.  I don't know when he went to the mainland, only that it was some time between the Bounty Ticket application and his marriage in Yass in 1870.

From what I have been able to piece together regarding the 9 Harper siblings, they were probably all born in Ireland, most likely County Down, the children of John Harper and Sarah Hogg.  Given that they were Irish Protestants (Presbyterians), this makes sense, as Down is in modern day Northern Ireland.  They seem to have come across to Scotland, specifically the New Cumnock area in Ayrshire during the 1850s, and this is where their mother Sarah died in 1876.  John, their father, was dead prior to daughter Margaret's marriage in 1859, but it is not known whether he died in Ireland or Scotland.

My great-grandmother was Mary Ann Harper, the youngest sister (and as Mary Ann Grachan was the chief litigant in the trove article).

Let me know if you'd like some more specific information on the siblings and their families.

Regards

Jenny
Goding: Banwell {Somerset} to Vic {Aus}
Howell: Cheltenham {UK} to Vic {Aus}
Brown: Wandsworth {UK} to Vic {Aus}
Hawken: Cornwall to SA {Aus}, Vic {Aus}
McLellan: Buchlyvie {Scot} to Vic {Aus}
Morey: Dorset to Tas {Aus}
Grachan: Clare {Ire} to TAS {Aus}
Wellard: Kent to TAS {Aus}
Naylor: Yorkshire to Vic {Aus}
Magee: Clare {Ire} to SA {Aus}
Crockford: Berkshire to Victoria {Aus}
Patterson: Angus to SA {Aus}, Vic {Aus}
McBeth: Westminster {UK} to Sydney {Aus} 
Mason: Stepney {UK} to Sydney {Aus}

Offline Linum

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 January 23 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jenny,

I was very interested to read your post about Robert Harper and the article about James’ estate.  Their brother, John, was my great-great-grandfather.  His daughter, Martha Darling (my great-grandmother), was listed in the article as a next-of-kin. 

I wear John’s ring that has been passed down to me through the family.  It has a harp design and I understand that it is made of Australian gold. I was told that one of John’s brothers, who was involved in gold mining, had the ring made for him in Australia and gave it to him on a trip home.  It would be nice to know which brother had the ring made and when it was given to John.  It looks like the two candidates would be James or Robert.  My guess would be James. 

Would you have any information about James’ arrival in Australia? 

I am guessing that the harp design on the ring signifies their connection to Ireland, or possibly the family name. 

Regards

Lindsay