Author Topic: Novice going to Scotland and wales in a month - Allan, Gaut, Hodge, Roberts,  (Read 3120 times)

Offline Hill Gaut Allan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi
I have been looking all over the internet the last few months to find info on our ancestors . Myself , my Dad and Grandma are going to Scotland to look at where her (my Grandma) Grandparents come from.

We just came across a rellie on the net who just happen to have a Autobiography written by my Gr Gr Grandfather!! So that has given us clues as well. I also just bought Family Tree Maker 2008 with 3 months to Ancestry .com.

So the first family we interested in is Allan

I (James Allan[/i]was born on 20th December, 1856, - at a small farm, about three miles east of Airdrie, - and was the eldest of the family.
My parents were Robert Allan and Mary Allan, - nee Hodge.
My paternal Grandfather died before I was born.  He was a tenant farmer of good land in the district.  My maternal Grandfather was tenant of a Moorland farm, - a few miles further east.  Both Grandparents were members of the Reformed Presbyterian Church, in Airdrie, - a denomination which originated in the Cameronians of persecuting times, and Covenantors, - who signed "The Solemn League and Covenant" in Edinburgh, - and who took a prominent part in resisting the attempted domination of England, - in matters of faith and belief, - in the seventeenth century.
A friend who interested himself in family trees, traced the ancestry back to the years of persecution, - in which dome of the branched suffered.  They were all tillers of the soil, - and influenced by the manners and customs and environment of their times.

My mother died when I was seven years old, - and early childhood memories, - are linked up more with the maternal Grandparents, and visits to the Moorland farm, - with the pleasant aroma of burning peat.  It was Lowland "Caledonia Stern and Wild". 

That is just the first part of it.

So when I look up info on the census and it says the street or area is there any way of finding their address. On old letters we have found on the other side of the family we have actual address which I have googled and we will go and look at them to see if they still exist or have been built on.

I have so many questions!!

Some of the other family I will post on later is

GAUT from Blaenavon Wales. (They owned an Inn)
Roberts from Cardiff? Wales
Hill london
Broomfield Ireland