Author Topic: DNA Stories.  (Read 11087 times)

Offline 243rose

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DNA Stories.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 April 08 16:55 BST (UK) »
That all counts me out.
98% of my traced family are from south of england.......... my mums side fenland people from Cambs and Norfolk and my dads surrey and devon.
i think i would be decended from german mercenries......

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 April 08 19:03 BST (UK) »
Well, Iain, he goes on to say that these cleft chins and bifid noses are characteristics associated strongly with Germanic populations. (or are you joking again Iain!? ???)
Paulene :)
Anyway, we're digressing.

Offline 243rose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 April 08 19:54 BST (UK) »
Well.
i believe that fen people were populated by germanic mercenries who were invited over to sort out a few problems.........

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 14 April 08 20:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Iain,
I've been trying to find the information about foot shape, but without success.
However, I found these two sites, which should be of interest. You might have seen the genuki one already:
www.genuki.org.uk/big/bigmisc/DNA.html
http://genome.wellcome.ac.uk/doc_WTD020882.html
Hope these help a bit.
Take care,
 Paulene :)

Offline Lookin2

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 15:32 BST (UK) »
To 243rose.  I did post a response on this subject but probably in the wrong section.  I just wanted you to know my family: Brother, Son, and I did take these tests and my Brother did two one from Oxford Ancestors and the other RootsforReal.  He had to take another Y to get the "Tribes of Britain".  It was a very disappointing test getting probability instead of fact and listed "Mediterranean" as the tribe. My son, however, had a very interesting result on RootsforReal listing 50 hits which you could see all over Europe and other parts.  I wish myself and brother could have been so lucky receiving so little info.  A very good article on RootsforReal of a story of one man who had similar results called The Scotsman Wed. 4th June 2003. Loved Iain Kennedy article.
Howlett, Brown, Woodroofe, Mills, Battey, Woods

Offline 243rose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 18:16 BST (UK) »
Hi.

this is interesting.
did the oxford results match the more detailed rootsforReal results?? and what tribe in britain do you come from.... or was the answer to that european.
i take it the one for you was tracing your maternal line ??

iain

Offline Lookin2

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 20:03 BST (UK) »
Hallo Iain. I got interested in DNA following a documentary: African American Lives-2006.4-part series Dr. Peter Forster whose company RootsforReal was mentioned.  I was hoping that a follow-up documentary dealing with Europeans would be done. I took the mt/DNA test and my brother and son did the Y/DNA.  His result (1) Andalusan Arab, Tunisia (big surprise). Obviously the Father/Son strain mutated or (data base not yet big enough). Mine a poor 5 hits showing Germany/France Helena Halogroup. So, my Brother tried Oxford Ancestry Y/DNA and Tribes of Great Britain test.  His certificate showed " He carries a Y-chromosome recognised as being of probable Mediterranean origin concentrated East Anglia and Southern England and his paternal clan was Gilamesh. The one match listed was later withdraw as being incorrect. No matches between RootsforReal or Oxford Ancestry info (different data bases)?

Offline 243rose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 20:20 BST (UK) »
i suppose it is still in it's infancy.
it's very tempting to have it done although i'm not sure the money spent will equal the results obtained.
So overall you would probably recommend the RootsForReal.
will you have it done again in 5/10 years maybe when the database is fuller.

iain

Offline Lookin2

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 20:39 BST (UK) »
My response is I, personally, will wait until they have found a better method of locating a better way to test Mt and Y DNA before I would pay for another test.  We have always been told we came from Africa and Roots for Real map show the migration patterns and the route your possible ancestors took which is quite interesting.