Author Topic: 2nd battalion coldstream guards  (Read 8009 times)

Offline 243rose

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
2nd battalion coldstream guards
« on: Tuesday 15 April 08 18:41 BST (UK) »
My Grandad Thomas ROSE b.1900 was in the 2nd Battalion Coldstream Guards.
My mum said he tried to join up during the 1st World War but did not see service due to his age??, he was a drummer boy.
I have a photo of him in the Guards cricket team of 1922 with all the names underneath.. he was the wicket keeper.
when he died in 1991 my mum contacted them giving his name to see if he had any kind of pension etc etc. they said they didn't have any record of him. I don't know how that can be. He was definately in the 2nd Battalion....... he used to tell us had guarded the crown jewels in the tower as part of his duty.
Are there any sources available to me to find out about my grandads military service seeing as they didn't seem to know much.

Cheers
iain

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd battalion coldstream guards
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 22:44 BST (UK) »
Wonder if he joined in 1918?
The Coldstream Guards Service records 1914-1918 are in their archives they werent bombed during the blitz like other records ive had a couple of records sent to me although it did cost me £30.

If he was post war then his records would still be with MOD and are free to next of kin £30 to anyone else.

heres CG archive link.

http://www.shinycapstar.com/contactpage.htm

Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 23:19 BST (UK) »
Do you have his regimental number Iain?

Rosemary

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 April 08 00:06 BST (UK) »
Iain,

I hope you are lucky I searched for my grandfather in the coldsteam guards and could not find him ( James McKenzie

I had asked for a search paid £30.00 a kind gentleman phoned me to say they could not find him ,and he would return my cheque  he did
Then i found him in the 1901 census listed as James Mackenzie .MACKENZIE with the A
Off I posted my £30.00 again to be told the record had been lost in the Blitz
I sent photo's of him in his uniform a copy of his birth certificate ,but still nothing so I hope you are lucky
Nice site mmm45

Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline 243rose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 April 08 08:41 BST (UK) »
thankyou to everyone who replied.
i know he had Queen Mary's Chocolate box, which i've just googled so he was in the guards xmas 1914..... i'll have to maybe contact them again. I believ the coldstream guards were stationed in-country during that period.

Thanks again

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 April 08 16:56 BST (UK) »
http://www.1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/

Iain, try this website, there are a lot of experts on there who may be able to help.

Rosemary

Offline 243rose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 April 08 17:45 BST (UK) »
thanks rosemary