Author Topic: Kings Own Scottish Borderers, 25th regiment foot  (Read 46456 times)

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
Re: Kings Own Scottish Borderers, 25th regiment foot
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 07 January 12 20:23 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather was a KOSB and had two medals
When I was a silly teenager i cut the ribbon and wore the medals as a necklace wished i hadn't i only have one now
I gave my brother the other one I did say today while were talking I would take them back to Berwick Museum to get them put back together again

Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 08 January 12 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth

If you describe the medal(s) or better still post a picture we can tell you which replacement ribbon to buy. They are on Ebay for a few pounds or at a local medal fair. Although you will have to pay to get in.

Ken

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 08 January 12 08:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrew

Very nice, and still with original ribbons - which you should try and preserve. Although he would be on a charge for wearing them like that. Firstly the monarch's head always shows, and they are worn British first (closest to the heart) foreign second.

And in the order of the campaigns. So Egypt, India, QSA, Khedive's Star.

The separated clasps shows that he received them at different times, and it is lucky they have not been lost. Once soldiers had left the regiment it was hard for them to get them officially revitted, so they would often get the wife to join the clasps with cotton. After about 10 years this broke, so then the old soldier would join them with wire. And 20 years later this broke and the clasps were usually lost.

What is the red material poking out from behind the Egypt?

Ken

Offline linds1612

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 08 January 12 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken
I've posted the reverse of the medal set that shows the red material.
Is that a bit of home repair work?

I've tried to reply to you regards your muster rolls message but not sure if you have got them?

Regards

Andrew

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 08 January 12 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrew

Nice set of three different QV heads. Swivel them around and then you only have the order to worry about.

I was hoping it was a piece of his tunic. I do not know what he used. I cannot think of another medal ribbon.

Yes, I got your PM last night. I will reply later.

btw..your 1141 Sergeant Adam Lindsay served with my GGF.

Added
...There was also a 1041 Sergeant Thomas Lindsay in the same battalion. I wonder if he was the father of 2688 Thomas

Ken

Offline linds1612

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 08 January 12 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken
From census records and dates of birth I suspect that Thomas Lindsay 1041 was the elder brother of Sgt Adam Lindsay 1141 (GGGF) who was the father of 2688 Thomas Lindsay (I have birth certificate, my GGF).
1871 census records show both 1141 Adam Lindsay and 1041 Thomas Lindsay as being Irish born.

I presume that you have discovered their army numbers from muster rolls?

Thats great that they served with your GGF. You must be well aware of their service details judging by your expertise?

I look forward to your PM.

Thanks again

Andrew

Offline vicky832

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 12 January 12 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I'm new here and was wondering if any of you could help me with my ancester, David Edmondson, who was in the 1st Bn of the 25th in Canada in 1866.  He stayed in Canada after that and did receive his Canada Campagn medal.

According to his marriage notification he was born in 1835 in England, but I can't find anything more about this. 

My question is: Can anyone find any records of when he joined or where he was born or any other family information from his military records?

Here is a copy of his medal record.

Thanks in advance.  :)

Offline linds1612

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 29 January 12 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Morning Ken

I'd just like to thank you for your prompt results on your searching on my behalf.
I am absolutely delighted with your findings and I would heartily recommend your talents to anyone else who can't make it down to Kew.

Things are certainly a bit clearer now in my researching.

Many thanks again.

Andrew.

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Saturday 22 September 12 04:23 BST (UK) »
Hello, I have just registered into this site so please bear with me as a first time user.  ???
I am amazed at the information regarding the KOSB, especially info so expertly given by KM1971 ... many thanks.

My ggf Henry Burghart bc 1848 d.1912 was one of the longest serving in the KOSB clocking up a staggering 43 years and 221 days service.  I have his enlistment and discharge papers from FindMyPast however I feel that there are page/s missing from his service record.

Henry (along with three younger siblings) were placed into a Workhouse in Marylebone after their father died and mother deserted the family and it was from here that he enlisted at Westminster into the 25th foot, 1st battalion, 18 Sept 1862.  I think his service number was 906 however this was changed to 2434 when they became the KOSB.  It shows Henry was 14 but was more like 13 and a half.  He was sent to Gosport and started life in the Army as a 'Drummer Boy'.  On his enlistment papers there was a question:  " Did you receive a Notice, and did you understand its meaning?"  His answer, Yes.  Does that mean he was conscripted into the Army?  Another question: " (words missing) ... what Bounty and Kit did you enlist?" Answer "a free Kit".  Not sure what this means.  Anyone have any clues?

His record shows he was Home Base 19 Sep 1862 to 11 Jan 1863, Malta 12 Jan 1863 to 27 Jun 1864, Canada 28 Jun 1864 - 20 Aug 1867 and Home Base 21 Aug 1867 to 27 Apr 1906.  He was awarded in 1900 the Canadian Service Medal and when he left the Army in 1906, the silver medal for Good Conduct and Service.  Unfortunately I don't know what happened to these medals; my grandfather had left home ten years prior to his father passing away, in 1912, so they may have been passed to his one son who was still residing in England at the time however it would seem that they have been lost down through the following generations.

I was under the impression that the 1/25th had a permanent base in Gosport but after reading KM1971 message of 15 Jul 2010 they sure moved around the countryside.

Henry was made a Corporal in 1872 and the following year moved to York.  On 7 Mar 1874 he became a Sergeant and in 16 May 1876 he was re-engaged at York and married 5 months later to a Martha Cook.  In May 1880 he was again promoted becoming a Quarter Master Sergeant.  On his marriage certificate, 1876 and birth certificate in of my Grandfather in 1880, it shows Henry as being in the 6th Brigade.  According to 'The martial annals of the city of York' by the Rev. Caine, the 1st and 2nd Batt. 25th Foot, 1st and 2nd Batt. 14th Foot (6th Brigade Depot) moved into the New Barracks at Fulford York in May 1880 and departed in July 1881 which matches Henry's army record. 

The family lived onsite at the Berwick-on-Tweed Barrack quarters until at least 1901 when they are listed on that census living in a flat in Berwick township.

Sorry for my long winded story but I am also interested to know what pay a 'Boy Drummer', if anything, he would have received and also as a Corporal, etc. etc.,

Lastly there is a mystery regarding Henry's supposedly army box that a distant cousin has.  On the outside on the front is printed 'Quarter Master', then underneath '2nd West York's Reg.'.  The story goes that Henry's wife Martha gave it to her sister prior to the family moving to Berwick in 1881 however I can't see how it could have been his box as I am under the impression (though could be totally wrong) that the 2nd West York's didn't come into being until later in 1881

Look forward to hearing in due course from those interested (and have readed this far), your replies and hopefully I will have worked out how to get back into this site to see same.
Many thanks Bonnie