Author Topic: Kings Own Scottish Borderers, 25th regiment foot  (Read 46546 times)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kings Own Scottish Borderers, 25th regiment foot
« Reply #72 on: Saturday 03 November 12 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Some of his muster records say Kensington Plasterer.

You get this (and usually written in red ink) when there are two men of the same name. It means his parish of birth was Kensington and his occupation when he enlisted was plasterer. Is this from the 74th Regiment musters?  They often call them (1) and (2) as well.

If so here, what does it say about the other John Ryan?

btw..the 25th Regiment had a 1078 Private Michael O'Grady

Ken

Offline rohanryan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Sunday 04 November 12 04:55 GMT (UK) »
Yes. That is from the 74th Regiment musters. As you mentioned, they are numbered (1) and (2) as well.

The other John Ryan in the 74th had the regimental number 2310 (74th) with the remark "Public Employ" and in faint writing "Tipperary Labourer" (This John Ryan has not transferred from the 25th)

Ann O'Grady is the daughter of Michael and Margaret O'Grady. Michael O'Grady was indeed employed by the 25th Regiment.

Offline confused73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Sunday 04 November 12 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I was wondering if any one had found any more information about Leadsdale and could offer a reason for his deserting one regiment and then joining another only to desert from that one. Then returning to the first.? Was he discovered or return of his own free will. ? Will I ever know?
Bottle,Wheatley Marsh, Williams, Dowling,    Penrose, Gilbert

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Sunday 04 November 12 12:37 GMT (UK) »
William Leadsdale

This is a nice puzzle. I agree that the dates fit them being the same man. Also looking at the two service records the eyes/hair and complexion match. Also the 59th were in Glasgow when he deserted. And he enlisted in the 25th Foot in Edinburgh two weeks later. Against that is why he would use the same (uncommon) name? Details of his desertion would be published in the Police Gazette. He may have used an alias. This is not mentioned on the discharge record. I do not have a muster for the 25th for 1866 so cannot check if that mentions an alias.

Not being able to find them in the 1851 census does not help.

Ken

Offline confused73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Sunday 04 November 12 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply Ken, This man or men do pose a puzzle, I can find no birth or baptism record for either,  and no mention in any census, in fact there are only two leadsdales in any census and can find no link.  I understand that william from Durham married in Glassgow while in tha 25th. ,  father Edwin was a shoe maker,  He marries my OH's gt. grand mother as a widow,  after leaving the 25th father is now Robert shoe maker. He then goes to sea and no further record of him. William of York apart from his army record,  I have nothing.
Regards the branding of the letter B this was mentioned on the discharge from the 25th and that was his last post in the army so could they not have done the branding then,  he had already left the 59th, and may be they did not brand him then, I had asumed he had got his tattoos when he joined the 25th.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Sunday 04 November 12 16:38 GMT (UK) »
I have amended my last post. I had him not going back to the 25th. So he got the tattoos after 1867 and was marked with the D by the 25th. So apart from him using his real name they could be the same man.

A ship tattoo often means time at sea and I found the four sailings out of Chester. Have you found the re-marriage to Ellen Williams and at least one child born in Holyhead?

Ken

Offline confused73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Sunday 04 November 12 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Hallo Ken,  We feel that he is the same man, but what his real name is who knows, and it did seem strange using the same name, If it is his real name where are all the other Leadsdales.? Yes I have a copy of his marriage to Ellen. William has a son also called William by his first wife,they too then disappear, as does his daughter born to Ellen and him, called Louisa. Then there is another child Rosie, my OH's grandmother, but only Ellen is on the certificate, no father. So he either died or did another runner.
I have two records of William going to sea, 1869 on the Sea Nymph and 1870 on the Admiral Moorsom both out of Chester.       Siwan.

Offline BW252

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Thursday 13 December 12 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello all

I too have a problem researching a soldier in the 25th.   His name was David Scobie and he is shown as the husband of Helen Turnbull who died in Edinburgh in May 1868.   Informant is her sister.    DC states "married to David Scobie Private 25th Regiment of Foot"   I cannot trace this man at all

:'(

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Friday 14 December 12 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Following on from a post on the Scotland board it would now seem that David Scobie is actually David
Alexander -

Hellen Turnbull married David Alexander 29/6/1863 Edinburgh - she is shown as aged 20, daughter of Robert Turnbull and Janet Aitken and he is shown as aged 22, Private 25th. Foot, address Edinburgh Castle, son of John Alexander, Gardener, and Susan (formerly Scott).

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,627463.10.html

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records