Author Topic: Kings Own Scottish Borderers, 25th regiment foot  (Read 46291 times)

Offline alasdair_13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kings Own Scottish Borderers, 25th regiment foot
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 12 November 09 12:49 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to find out what happened to an ancestor of mine who I understand to have been a Private in the 25th Foot. John Connor was born circa 1841, and married Marion Darrach in Calton Glasgow 29/6/1868. His address is given on the marriage cert as The Barracks, Glasgow.

They had a duaghter Mary born circa 1870/71 but likely returned to Glasgow. According to later census returns for Mary, she was born in India. John died sometime before 1891 (the year Mary was married).

I'm having real trouble finding out what happened to John as I cant seem to find him on any scottish records after 1868. Did he die in India?

Any help gratefully received.

Alasdair Smith

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 12 November 09 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alasdair

It was the 1st Battalion that was in Glasgow in 1868, having returned from Canada the previous year. They moved around the British Isles until Oct 1875 when they moved to India. The 2nd Battalion were in Ceylon/India from 1863 to 1876, so it looks as if he was transferred to the 2nd Bn in time for his daughter’s birth

If he died in service they would have routinely destroyed his record after 20 years. But the best next step would be to see if his service record survives in Kew. If you cannot visit and do not wish to pay a researcher, you will have to wait to see if Findmypast put it online (due ‘by 2011’). How it is filed will depend upon when he was discharged – http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/militaryhistory/army/step4.htm

Most men were discharged 12 years after enlistment, so were aged between the ages of 30 and 35 depending upon when they enlisted.  Service before the age of 18 did not count. His service record will give you an outline of him and his service, but it probably will not give details of his wife and children.

If his record does not survive you can follow his service using the Muster Books (WO12) in Kew, starting with the one for the 1st Bn in 1868 and working backwards until he enlisted; and then working forwards from the 2nd Bn muster for 1870-71 until he dies or is discharged. You may be lucky as they started to include details of the marriage roll – wife’s forename and ages of any children – in the musters from around this period. His first entry may give his parish of birth, and/or where he enlisted and maybe his age.

Ken

Offline alasdair_13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 03 December 09 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for this information. I may have to wait until this information comes on line as ubnlikely to be abel to get to Kew. many thansk for this info though - very interesting and helpful indeed.

Alasdair

Offline catjane

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 17 May 10 14:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Sophie/Neil

1123 Corporal Gavin Scott, 2nd Battalion 25th Regt KOB, was discharged on 17 January 1882 at Fermoy. He enlisted in Londonderry, and this was also his intended place of residence. It does not give his date of enlistment nor his parish of birth, or occupation. He was given a £1 2s 11d travel warrant (as far as Belfast only) and £1 advancement on his pension.

I tracked him over a few Muster and Pay Lists:

= April to June 1877 – a Private based in Shorncliffe (Kent) then Aldershot – 10 days furlough (1 to 10 May 1877)

= July to Sept 1877 – Private – Aldershot

= Oct 1877 to March 1878 – Private – Aldershot – good conduct pay increased from 2d to 3d – furlough 1 Dec ’77 to 14 Jan ‘78

= April to Sept 1878 – Private – Aldershot then Plymouth

= Oct 1878 to March 1879 – Private – Plymouth then Devonport – 46 days furlough (15 Dec ’78 to 31 Jan ’79)

= April to Sep 1880 – Devonport – promoted to L/Cpl 31 May – 4d GC pay from 28 August – promoted to Corporal 17 Sept 1880.

= Oct 1880 to March 1881 – Corporal - Devonport then Fermoy (from Dec 1880)

= April to Sep 1881 – Corporal – Devonport – Corporal’s pay increased from 1s 4d to 1s 8d per day on 1st July 1881. He would have also received his 4d a day GC pay. A note says “ This NCO draws pay at 1s 9d a day under provision of Rl Wt (Royal Warrant?) 25 June 1881” It also has ‘Band’ written in red ink. This is the only reference to him being in the band.

I will try and find his enlistment sometime.

Ken

Hi there, I'm new - sorry for dragging up an old thread but I have been trawling the internet trying to find some information on an ancestor who, to my surprise, was also a bandsman in the 2/25th in 1879!

He must have known the above Gavin Scott!

I am desperate to track his military history as I'm hoping for some clues about his birth etc. but I am very inexperienced when it comes to military history - to be frank it baffles me!

My ancestor was William John Connell (probably known, and possibly recorded, as 'John').  He was born about  1855 in Athlone, Ireland.  Was a bandsman in the 2/25th in Devonport, August 1879.  Married in Plymouth also in 1879.  Then Carisbrooke, 1881; Woolwich 1891; and Cowley 1901.  I don't know if military records can help me, but it would be fascinating to find out more about him.

If anyone can help me I'd be so grateful.

Offline BORIS ATTERBY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 15 July 10 13:21 BST (UK) »
 :) Also apologies for bringing this back to life! My wifes G.G.Grandfather CHARLES ASTON was also in the 25th 
He was a sergeant.
Working from census returns and the birthplaces of his children his movements where very roughly..

ATHLONE, IRELAND 1863 - 1865 ish  his wife Ann was also born in Athlone

MONTREAL, CANADA 1866

PAISLEY, SCOTLAND 1868

1869 ALDERSHOTT

1871 FAREHAM

1874 CAMDEN FORT, CORK

1877 YORK.

I know this is all just based on births, but would be interested to know if it matches other forum members ancestors movements with the 25th!

Cheers,
Boris

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 15 July 10 21:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Boris

It matches the movements of the 1st Battalion of the 25th Foot. They were in Canada from June 1864 to August 1867, when they moved to Glasgow. He probably enlisted in Athlone. They were in Glasgow until November 1868; Aldershot to October 1869; Portsmouth to December 1870; Gosport to December 1871; Curragh to June 1873; Kinsale to August 1874; Buttevant to October 1875. They then embarked for India.

These places are where the main force was based. Any discrepancies will be because your man would have been on detachment at a nearby town. In the days of small police forces battalions were spread over a wide area to act as a deterrent to lawlessness, especially at election times.

The Depot was in York from c1873 to reorganisation in July 1881, so he was probably there to be discharged. Ireland were given a Scottish regiment in the 1880s, and the 25th Foot/ KOB were given to Scotland. So your man would not have recognised KOSB. In fact from 1870 the full name was 25th (The York) Regiment of Foot (King's Own Borderers).

My GGF enlisted in the 25th in Gosport and was a Corporal when he married in Kinsale in 1874. He became a Sergeant shortly afterwards. You should check the regimental BMDs on Findmypast births as events in the UK are often included. Plus the indexes to Irish BMDs are coming online - http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#c=1408347;p=collectionDetails;t=searchable

And also some church records - http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/index.html

http://www.irishseashipping.com/heritage/subsite/eire/fortmeagher/fortmeagher.htm

Fort Camden was renamed Fort Meagher in 1922.

Ken

Offline BORIS ATTERBY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 17 July 10 23:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken,
Cheers for that I got his service record tonight from 'findmypast' will have a good read through tomorrow! He appears to have had 20yrs service with the 25th.
Thanks again,
Boris.

Offline bernice52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 13 November 10 03:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi sophie
Hope you are still interested in this 25th regiment, we have a gt gt grandfather Patrick Healy who enlisted in the 2nd batt in Athlone Ireland in 1860, stationed at Aldershot by xmas, had a child in august 1861 at Shorncliffe Kent, another daughter born in the Edinburgh barracks in June 1863 (so they were stationed in Scotland then) & also June 1867 at Fulwood barrracks Preston Lancashire before he was discharged.
we are hoping to get his birth date also looking for a picture of a corporals uniform from this period

He served 21 yrs with earlier postings in the 67th East Hampshire Regiment of foot.
hope someone can help  with  years between 1842 -1867 please

Offline mcleana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 22 December 10 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Looking for information on a Richard Somerville born in glasgow around 1805. I think he served from 1822 to 1845 was stationed at Brecon Barracks and was a Colour Sergeant in the 25th Regiment of foot.  Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

regards