Author Topic: Kings Own Scottish Borderers, 25th regiment foot  (Read 46525 times)

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Kings Own Scottish Borderers, 25th regiment foot
« Reply #90 on: Tuesday 14 June 16 09:42 BST (UK) »
Hi garthj,
I see from John Turbitt's war record it is very precise, right down to being able to envisage what he would have looked like, from his personal description. But alas, tantalising short on who was his next-of-kin, which is what you want to know.

However, "km1971" who came on to this thread, is a wiz on military matters. He has given me tremendous assistance so hope that he spots your request and can be of help.
Good luck, Bonnie

Offline garthj

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Tuesday 14 June 16 21:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the encouragement Bonnie - any help will be greatly appreciated.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 02:56 BST (UK) »
The discharge papers are all that survives of his record. They did not record next of kin until about 20 years later. Also, they did not record the married establishment until the late 1860s. There is a very remote chance that he sent money home, and this will be recorded in the musters.

You could try the regimental BMDs on sites such as FIndmypast. But they are not complete. I see he got a pension from the age of 50.

Ken

Offline garthj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 05:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks a lot Ken - I will follow those leads.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Saturday 18 June 16 08:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Garth

Clogher can not be a big place so it would be wise to ask on the Tyrone board if any one has access to their church records or the name of a local researcher. Hopeful the Turbitt's stayed there long enough to leave a mark and you will find relatives.

I see from the 1901 census the Turbitts in Augher were Church of Ireland. There are C of I records from before the introduction of civil registration in 1864

Ken

Offline garthj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Sunday 19 June 16 02:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ken.
I have quite a lot of information about individual Turbitts (various spellings) in both the Clogher and Errigal Keerogue parishs of Couty Tyrone, and of course about the descendants of my great-grandparents since 1864. The problem has been to connect individuals named in the Griffith's valuations with their families prior to the 1901 census and existing BDM records, wills etc. are only partially informative, hence, I was hoping that military records might fill in the gaps with information about next of kin.
I will keep trying!

Offline Caseygee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Monday 07 November 16 08:54 GMT (UK) »
I have tumbled across this website and forum and have found it fascinating to read through  the pages relating to my GGF's 25th Regiment of Foot. And particularly with the knowledge shared by Ken and other knowledgeable users of this forum.

I have been trying for many years to obtain information relating to my GGF John Guinan who I know to have enlisted in the 16th Regiment in 1855, but who then by 1859, had worked his way up through the ranks to become a Colour Sergeant before transferring to the 2/25th Regiment stationed at Preston in December of that same year. June 1860 saw him being stationed at Aldershot. I have a copy of his marriage certificate from when he married my GGM nearby there later that year and also Census information for him and his wife (for the entire Regiment actually) while at Farnham during 1861. Later that year he was stationed with the Regiment at Shorncliffe and by late 1862 he was stationed at Edinburgh Castle. Then during July 1863 he and my GGM embarked with the Regiment to Ceylon, where in late 1866 he took his discharge. He then owned or managed 2 Hotels there while having 3 children (including my GF) before passing away only 5 years later in 1871.

I have a copy of a letter that my Father received from the Public Records Office during the 1950s in which Sgt John's Service Number was quoted as being: 4066 Sergeant John Guinan with WO 12/3363-8, 4233-9 Regimental Musters and Paylists, Army lists also being quoted.

I would be most appreciative if Ken or anyone can provide me with any information related to him or anything relative to his time while in military service. Or for that matter provide me with guidance as to how I might be able to obtain as much detail as possible from his military records. I have researched Findmypast and aside from the Marriage and Census Records mentioned above I have not been able to find anything else from there and as I am not resident in the UK I am unable to attend for any personal research there.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Monday 07 November 16 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi CaseyGee and welcome to Rootschat

Firstly you need to get to three posts and then you can send and receive personal messages (including email addresses).

My GGF served in the 25th, so I have some information I can share. I am away from my main sources, so it may not be until the weekend. But I will see what I have with me.

Ken

Offline Caseygee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Monday 07 November 16 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken

I am delighted you have picked up on my post and look forward to anything that you are able to share. I have been working on this and my broader family tree for many many years so I am sure I can wait till the weekend for anything that you may be able to find.

Caseygee