Author Topic: John Bennett - Scottish Regiment Deserter??  (Read 1599 times)

Offline jcbhydro

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Bennett - Scottish Regiment Deserter??
« on: Wednesday 16 April 08 15:02 BST (UK) »
Dear Chat Room Members,

My paternal grandfather, John Bennett b. 1858, left Devon for unknown reasons in about 1878-80 and joined a Scottish Regiment. The family assumption is that he joined one of the constituent regiments which in 1881 became the Argyl & Sutherland Highland Regiment.

In 1881 he enlisted in the Devonshire Regiment in Plymouth. My assumption is that he left the Scottish Regiment unofficially, ie he deserted. He joined the Devonshire Regiment under an alias of Francis Dawson and only revealed his true identity 9 years later whilst serving in the Far East. He served nearly 30 years as a regimental boot maker in the Devonshires.

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a register of deserters or absconders from army regiments. I would love to find out about his short service in Scotland.

\kind regards,

John

Offline atom12

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Bennett - Scottish Regiment Deserter??
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 April 08 16:48 BST (UK) »
Hi John  :)

Welcome to the Armed Forces section of the Rootschat Forum - BTW, the Chat room is a different area.

I don't know of any absconders list, but all the necessary details will be on his original documents.  If he did abscond and re-enlist in another regiment,  then he probably would have two lots of documents, one for each regiment, and, somewhere along the line there should  hopefully be a 'tie-up' of his alias to his real name with mention of it (his Alias) on his documents.

You should visit The National Archives at Kew to see if you can seek out his original documents under WO97 series.
Reid: Nicol: Peterhead and Aberdeen
McDonald: Greig: Milne: Aberdeenshire
Moreland: Lanarkshire, Whitehaven in Cumbria and Ireland
Cunningham: Lanarkshire, Cumbria and Ireland
Halliday: Falkirk, Stirlingshire and Ireland
Redpath: Stirlingshire and Banbridge
McKay:

Offline jcbhydro

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Bennett - Scottish Regiment Deserter??
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 April 08 17:47 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the comment.

I do have the full records for service with the Devonshires, which very clearly tracks his enlistment under an alias and his subsequent revealing of his true name of John Bennett.

However, I am not 100% certain if the 'Scottish Regiment' was in fact the Argyll & Sutherland. As you suggest a visit to Kew is necessary, but I was hoping that an 'absconders list' might shorten the length of the prospective trawl.

Regards,

John Bennett