Author Topic: stuck -help needed  (Read 4215 times)

Offline munchies

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Elias Saundie (Soundie) and Jane Heeley
    • View Profile
stuck -help needed
« on: Sunday 04 April 04 23:38 BST (UK) »
I wondered if anyone can come up with any other ideas as have looked everywhere that I can think of.
My great grandfather Elias Sounde came from Norway and was a seaman he probably married Jane Sarah Healey around 1877/8 as their first child Richard was born in 1879. All the children were born in West Derby in Liverpool but she was originally from Middlesex.

I cannot find a marriage record with the 2 of them anywhere on line. According to census data she was born in 1853 approx so have looked at al the years from being 15 yrs old (plus a few more for good luck) and looked at healey/heeley.

His name has been spelt as Launde in 1881, Saunde in 1891, Sounde in 1887 and Soundie by 1901 which it remains as.

Have tried both Liverpool and Middlesex with all combinations of spellings even looked up every Elias who got married just to check if it had been spelt bizarrely :-\

Found one that looks likely Jane Heeley west derby in dec 1872 (8b 87) but there is no elias on the same page also Sarah jane Healey pancras middlesex 1878 (1b 118) but again no elias is this common? Is there anyone with any resources that can look up any more info before I give in and order the certificates.

Apologies if I have asked this here before I have subscribed to far too many groups now and cannot remember who I have asked what  ???
Surname interests Soundie, Brookfield, Healey/Heeley, Frost, Handley, Goodall Weaver, Evans, Pagett, Waywell/Whaywell, Haimes, Jones, Roberts, Cummins Ryder, Bleasdale and Foley, Jackson, Robinson, Calvert and Grayson.
Searching in Liverpool, Shropshire, London, Worcester and Holywell, Stafford and Cheshire.  (and eventually in Ireland) :-)

skippy

Re:stuck -help needed
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 May 04 02:27 BST (UK) »
Hi

Try

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/

Its free

or pay per view site giving all BMD GRO ref numbers from 1837 onwards

http://www.1837online.com/Trace2web/
(not very expensive)

Names changed over the years due to regional accents, illiteracy, and interpretation-------------So what started off as one name could have well ended up as another. Just another avenue of thought.
I think with your names you would probably have to check all phoentic interpretations if you didn't get a result first time.

Not much help I know.

regards

Offline munchies

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Elias Saundie (Soundie) and Jane Heeley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 May 04 10:13 BST (UK) »
Have tried all of those thanks anyway.

Will have to just order the certificates and be done with it.

And 1837 online is not very expensive until you realise you have checked every quarter for every year for a 20 year span using 4 different spellings and then suddenley it has cost quite a bit  :-[
Surname interests Soundie, Brookfield, Healey/Heeley, Frost, Handley, Goodall Weaver, Evans, Pagett, Waywell/Whaywell, Haimes, Jones, Roberts, Cummins Ryder, Bleasdale and Foley, Jackson, Robinson, Calvert and Grayson.
Searching in Liverpool, Shropshire, London, Worcester and Holywell, Stafford and Cheshire.  (and eventually in Ireland) :-)

skippy

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 May 04 03:42 BST (UK) »
Hello,

With 1837 you do need to tie down date info before searching and I agree with your point that you can waste a few 10p's due to the way the scanned images are indexed but I have only wasted around 50p on any one search - and that is not a lot of cash in comparision with time, effort and transport - especially if you are researching from abroad.
After a couple of searches you become familiar with index patterns so the cost of search is controllable. Basically if you are searching around dates then its going to cost you more as opposed to having a definate search criteria. You have to do your homework first.

Also bear in mind that the records were recorded locally. passed over to the GRO and then separately transcribed and indexed  -  so some human error is inevitable.
Not everyone registered Births/Deaths and the index is based upon recorded/documented info at that time.

1837 contains scanned copies of actual recorded transcriptions.
If you ancestor isn't there then you have to patiently explore other avenues.

regards,

SKIPPY