Author Topic: Hayward Family of fareham & portsmouth  (Read 5702 times)

Offline Westy

• RootsChat Member
  • Lily Hendey 1934
    • View Profile
Hayward Family of fareham & portsmouth
« on: Wednesday 16 April 08 17:23 BST (UK) »
 I am looking for the Hayward family who originated in the Portsea area of Portsmouth and the later generations moved to Gosport & fareham. Joseph & Charlotte Hayward and Henry Hayward & Sarah Ann Alford all born mid 1790's. Specifically interested in Robert Hayward 1857 & Francis Stevenson (born in Dublin) 1863 and their children Robert Henry, Florence Maud & Percival John all born in the 1880's. Percy had a child called Vera and we have no info on that line so anything would be great-anything
Burke, Mythen - Co Wexford, Ireland
Hendey,Hayward,Stevenson,Wells,Scott,Hutchings, Wren - Hampshire
Cox, Keats, Lyde, Roberts, Bishop, Snelling - Dorset
Dickinson - Bristol
West/Gustar - Isle of Wight
Russell -Salisbury

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hayward Family of fareham & portsmouth
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 April 08 23:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Westy,

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Am I right in saying that Sarah Ann Alford married Henry Hayward in 1849?  And that they were Robert's parents?

Sarah Ann Alford was baptised 4 April 1830 St Thomas, Portsmouth, parents Benjamin & Fanny (nee Jacobs) Alford.  Her parents were married 14 July 1817 in Portsea.  Benjamin was Benjamin Beale Alford. 

Henry and Sarah Hayward are in Portsea in 1861:

RG9/632/73 p 27  23 Duncan Street

Henry Hayward Head 31 Brewer employing 1 man b Portsea
Sarah A wife b Portsea
Charlotte daughter 9 scholar b Portsea
Jane 7 scholar b Ryde
Henry 5 scholar b Ryde
Benjamin 3 scholar b Ryde
Robert 7 mo b Portsea
Ellen Gatree? Servant 23 House Servant

I have checked the birth index for the IOW and the mother's maiden name for Jane, Henry and Benjamin is Alford so I'm certain this is the correct family.

In 1851, there is a son Joseph with them and both still say they were born in Portsmouth. (HO107/1658/681 p 5)

However Henry seems to have been baptised in Fareham 27 July 1828, parents John & Sarah Hayward.  Another son was baptised the same day - William.

A marriage for them is eluding me at the moment.

Who were Joseph and Charlotte?

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Westy

• RootsChat Member
  • Lily Hendey 1934
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 April 08 12:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Little Nell

thanks very much for the info, it's been a great help. Sarah Ann Alford and Henry Hayward did indeed marry in 1849 and they were Robert's parents. We did not know that Fanny Alford's maiden name was Jacobs or anything about her before she married Benjamin or their wedding date.
We have the info from 1861 but find it strange that in 1871 Sarah Ann is not with the family but appears again in 1881.
We have the marriage certificate for Henry & Sarah Ann in 1849 and Henry's father is Joseph Hayward and he was married to Charlotte, which is confirmed in later census's. So the John & Sarah Hayward you mentioned is not the same line, as our Henry was born in about 1830.
Where did you get the pre 1841 info from we have had a bit of trouble getting marriages, baptism's etc from the earlier dates.
Are you in anyway connected to the Hayward family as you appear to have a good amount of knowledge about them, Henry & Sarah Ann's are my wife's GGG Grandparents. 
Anything else would be greatly appreciated

Steve
Dickinson - Bristol
Russell -Salisbury

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 April 08 12:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,

Welcome to RootsChat :)

I found this christening on the IGI,

Henry AWARD
Christening:  17 MAY 1829   Saint Thomas, Portsmouth
Father:  Joseph AWARD
Mother:  Charlotte

I think it could be a transcription error as there are alot of children christened in St Thomas, Portsmouth before and after Henry to Joseph and Charlotte HAYWARD, you can see them by putting the parents names and Hampshire in the search boxes here,

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp

I also found this marriage which could fit,

Joseph HAYWARD
Spouse:  Charlotte BREAKS
Marriage:  24 DEC 1815   Alverstoke, Hampshire

Regards
Daisy

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 April 08 12:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,

These are the children that I have found so far (from the IGI at http://www.familysearch.org  - free to use):

Robert 30 May 1817 (Portsea, St Mary)
Joseph 16 May 1819 (Portsea, St Mary)
John 10 Aug 1821 (Portsea, St Mary)
Richard 8 Feb 1824 (Portsea St Mary)
James 27 Nov 1825 (St Thomas Portsmouth)
George 27 May 1827 (St Thomas Portsmouth)
Henry 27 May 1829 (Portsmouth St Thomas) NB look for "Award" as a variant of the name
Jane 7 Jan 1831 (St Thomas Portsmouth)
William 4 Nov 1832 (St Thomas Portsmouth)
Charlotte 23 Nov 1834 (St Thomas Portsmouth)

Joseph Hayward married Charlotte Breaks in Alverstoke 24 Dec 1815.

Charlotte was baptised 17 Jan 1794 in Portsea, parents Robert & Philippa Breaks.
I can't find Joseph at the moment, but in 1851 he was at the Blue Anchor.  I suspect that the name may be poorly transcribed.  :(  I have found a Joseph Hayman baptised 1796.

Nell

PS Not, not related, just here to help.  :)

(Sorry Daisy - didn't check what else had happened!)

Offline Westy

• RootsChat Member
  • Lily Hendey 1934
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 April 08 15:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for the info, from your link I have now gone back another generation and have 3 out of the 4 sets of GGGGG Grandparents. The one I cant find is the parents of Joseph Hayward but I will keep going. One of the Haywards. Robert, married Frances Stevenson and she was from 'Dublin Bairned Balla' in Ireland she unfortunately died at Fareham in 1900 of Typhoid Fever,is there a way of researching Irish ancestry as I would like her birth. Also the later generations are proving hard to find after the 1901 census, do you know the best way of finding someone in the 20th century as well as burial records.
Steve
Dickinson - Bristol
Russell -Salisbury

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 April 08 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,

Post 1901 is often difficult for lots of people.  We're all dreaming of the day the 1911 census becomes available!

Another site to look at is FreeBMD (http://www.freebmd.org.uk) which is a project to trancribe the GRO indexes and provide free access on the web.  It is not complete yet, but is a valuable tool to help in early 20th century searches.  From the Sept qtr 1911, the mother's maiden name is included in the birth indexes.  Just entering this as a search term can bring up births of children.

Have a good look at our Beginners board for tips and advice, Useful Links for lots of genealogy related websites and the RootsChat Lexicon which contains the answers to hundreds of questions that you might have.  If you haven't found the answer, please post a question on the boards - RootsChatters love to help!

By the way do you mean 20th century burial records or earlier ones?

Nell

Offline Westy

• RootsChat Member
  • Lily Hendey 1934
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 April 08 17:10 BST (UK) »
Ideally I would like on- line info of any burials as its always hard to get to the Hampshire Record's Office but saying that they have been very helpful on any questions I have asked them.
Steve
Dickinson - Bristol
Russell -Salisbury

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 April 08 21:45 BST (UK) »
Hampshire Burials up to 1837 can be found at:

http://www.familyhistoryonline.org.uk

Pay a few pence per transcription record.  For other burials in Hampshire, it depends on the parish and the date whether they are online.  Look at the Hampshire Resources for links to some that have been posted here.

Nell