Author Topic: Contacted by e-mail about an oil painting of my gt-gt-gt-gt-grandfather  (Read 52001 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: Contacted by e-mail about an oil painting of my gt-gt-gt-gt-grandfather
« Reply #18 on: Friday 18 April 08 22:13 BST (UK) »
Hi again, Lesanne,
I'm not really sure any more what has happened to the painting now!  Perhaps it's still hanging sadly in the art auctioneer's gallery/room waiting for a new owner...
keith
...and Lydart, I've already saved the image and printed it out.  He looks quite a jolly character after having spent the last 20-plus years walking and riding all over England and Scotland preaching to his Methodist listeners...

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 18 April 08 22:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith

I don't know what happens with email addresses exactly.  I know I've had only a little bit of spam, but of what there is, there is more than one appearance of names I've been involved with researching on Rootschat.  I'm sure it's not from Rootschat. 

I wonder about the actual mechanism, though I have all the protection I'm meant to.  But when you look at the news today, someone breaks most e-security systems eventually.

I've also had experiences with old paintings, but not like you Keith, and it's given me another concern.

My family have been the sitters on occasions, but this ancestor - many generations back, was the painter/engraver - mostly copies.

A family tale - though documented in biographies, maintained that some of his work hung at Hampton Court Palace.  I thought I would contact them and go into it, but while I was googling etc, I found that most works I was aware of were on current or old internet auction sites.

I was lucky that I got copies from them, and some are still on the National Portrait Gallery site., which I also copied and maybe one day I'll see them.

What occurs to me though, is that while we are happily under the impression that these  treasures are safe gathering dust in some archive cellar somewhere, they are cheerfully walking out of the country, and if we are not aware of them now, we will never see them and nor will later generations.

I know they need funds, but at very least, it's worth thinking about, and especially if you have any arty or literary branches, it's worth googling occasionally and keeping copies.

I think I'm off to change my email address and passwords and double check all my updates!  I'm glad you got a copy though!

Best wishes

Emms

Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas

Offline Nadine Moore

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 18 April 08 23:05 BST (UK) »
Keith

Just an idle thought - have you tried googling the alledged seller who contacted you originally to see what comes up about him?

May shed some light on who he is and what he's about, especially if he's not related to the auction house.

Hope you find out what happens to the picture

good luck

dinie
Census information is Crown Copyright - www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
ADAMS - Kent/Sussex, BROOKS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GASCOYNE/GASKINS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GOULD - Derbyshire/Lancashire. HILL - Hampshire/Kent/Lancashire/Limerick. MARK - Buckinghamshire/Cumberland/Lancashire. WILCOX - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. WITTONBROOKES/WITTENBROKE - Northamptonshire/Buckinghamshire. YATES - Canada.

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 18 April 08 23:12 BST (UK) »
Good idea Dinie. I think I would also let the auction house know about this.

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 18 April 08 23:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that very interesting long post, Emms; and to everyone else who has contributed on here today.  Off to bed now, will probably chew over what I ought to do next about this whole affair, before I fall asleep.
And tomorrow, as they say, is another day...
keith

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 19 April 08 00:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks Keith and good night.

Dinie's idea about googling them before you start could be very enlightening.  Could turn up some interesting blogs.  We've started doing it with unsolicited phone calls if there's a number we can google, and it told us a lot.

Emms
Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 19 April 08 08:34 BST (UK) »
I think I'd be quite worried that someone had found my email address ...

I have to admit, I agree. Addresses are one thing, easy to find, but email addresses are another thing altogether. There is no directory for them.

Kath

I post on a couple of other genealogy forums and although your email address is not shown online, if someone clicks on your name, they can send you an email - so I don't think getting the email is very difficult. Sometimes websites allow you to say yes/no to allow email contact with others. For all forum email addresses I use a web based email, but as long as the web sites don't directly code your email on a page open to search engines they don't cause problems. The only time I've ever been hit with spam was when I joined a rootsweb mailing list (as opposed to online forum). No idea why, I deleted myself from the mailing list & the spam eventually disappeared.

Hi Keith

When I first saw your post I thought WOW - but then I did almost instantly wonder if this was a scam. Could be worth following to find out what happened to the portrait but probably not with the "dealer". Sure adds an interesting sideline to the research.

Trish

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Comosus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 19 April 08 10:04 BST (UK) »
Maybe it's best if this is moved to quarantine (with Keith's permission of course)? If he can find your email address then he can probably find this thread.

Offline bodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • bodger sen. jun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 19 April 08 11:10 BST (UK) »
Keith, you asked if anyone else had found info re old artifacts,, i was sent a copy of a will of my g. g, grandfather, John Bacon, 1890, Belper, in the will he says "I bequeath my silver watch & chain to my grandson John Edward,the son of my said son George. I bequeath the three portraits of myself, my wife and daughter Minnie to my daughter Eliza Melbourne", i have been in touch with the Melbournes, but to date i have no knowledge of the pictures.
                     Bodger
Attenborough, Bacon,Melbourne, Thorpe, Ride,Simpson/ Derbyshire, Judson,Bacon,/Keighley,
Lockett/ Manchester, Harling/ Lancaster & Manchester