Author Topic: Looking for G/Grandfather John LANGDON  (Read 4835 times)

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Looking for G/Grandfather John LANGDON
« on: Friday 18 April 08 13:15 BST (UK) »
Has anyone a connection to my LANGDON family?

I have a birth/c for John LANGDON's daughter Elizabeth [ born in Australia ] in 1857 which states father John was born in Somerset England his age was noted as 31 which would make his birth year about 1826. I have not been able to find him coming to Australia but do have his marriage in Australia in 1847.

Any help on this would be most welcomed.
Cheers
Yonks Ago
Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for G/Grandfather John LANGDON
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 April 08 23:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have checked the 1841 English census for Somerset and there are 6 John Langdon's all born 1826 and one b 1827

I have checked for a father John but in some entries, no father was shown

Is any info shown about his mother on either his marriage cert or his death cert

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 April 08 09:28 BST (UK) »
CaroleW
Thank you for your input on my quest.

I too have seen the 1841 census..but as I don't know anything of this family any one of them could very well be my line.

I have my Grandmothers B/M/D c's telling me who both her parents were..I have M/c for her parents [ 1876 in Australia his age was 22 ] and only death for her father which tells me that his name was John Nichol LANGDON and that his parents were John LANGDON and Elizabeth NICHOL..I have not found a birth to date for JNL in Australia so the next best option was to purchase a birth fo his younger sister [ 1857 Australia ] on that certificate it states father born Somerset Eng and his age 31.
The NICHOL family were from Scotland.

Yonks Ago

Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 April 08 18:13 BST (UK) »
I have not been able to find him coming to Australia but do have his marriage in Australia in 1847.

This is presumably the marriage of John Langdon (1826) and Elizabeth Nichol

Does this cert not show John Langdons mothers name/maiden name
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 April 08 01:34 BST (UK) »
CaroleW,

Regarding m/c I'm afraid not... it have the basic infomation on it..stating names, Bachalor, Spinster, date of m after banns, the Church and Place, Chaplins name and witness names, this marriage was in Australia 1847.
Very basic certificates at that time.

Many thanks
Yonks Ago

Offline allibaker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.n
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 April 08 11:12 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have checked the 1841 English census for Somerset and there are 6 John Langdon's all born 1826 and one b 1827

I have checked for a father John but in some entries, no father was shown

Is any info shown about his mother on either his marriage cert or his death cert

can i just clarify something??
john langdon born c 1827 somerset fathers name was john also??? or are you not sure of his fathers name?
i only ask because there is a baptism for a john langdon in st decumens watchet somerset(which had a very large langdon connection i know because my ex's family were married into the langdons)
this baptism is for john langdon baptised 20th nov 1825 parents thomas and charlotte
regards
alli
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.
somerset- quick,baker,stephens,atyeo,rowswell,callow,marks
durham- marshall,fairbairn
worcestershire- stephens,bishop
gloucestershire - stephens
middlesex - chesney

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 April 08 13:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Alli,

I have no idea who John bc 1826 father was!! All I have is that John N LANGDON's name was also John.
As I can't find JNL's birth here in Australia, but did find his sister Elizabeth's..which gave me that her father was John and that he came from Somerset Eng..
Thank you Alli & CaroleW..just don't quite know where to go from here on.

Yonks Ago

Offline sally jones

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 16:19 BST (UK) »
My GGrandfather might be a sibling.
Like you I came up against brick walls in my search for information.
May I suggest you contact the Genealogy section at Geelong Library, in Australia.
They offer excellent service.
Many Langdons lived in Geelong and the Bellarine Peninsula including a John Langdon and Elizabeth Nicol Langdon.
There was possibly more than one couple there with that name though.
Still this information may be helpful.
Are you aware of WikiTree?
This is another possible way to find out more and get past those brick walls.
All the best.

Offline warncoort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Edward Butcher, son John William 1925
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 April 19 01:26 BST (UK) »
Another good resource for the Geelong area.
http://zades.com.au/gandd/index.php/databases/gddbs
Butcher Westmorland and Lancashire
Barton Westmorland and Yorkshire
Trethowan,Reeves Middlesex
Halsall,Green,Charters,Chatterton Lancashire
Smith, Moger, Maxfield Wiltshire
Woods,Speechley and Coles Huntingdonshire
Gibson,Blanks,Monk,Fokes Essex